Home Off Topic

Driving habit (Left Lane sleepers)

RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
What is the compulsion that makes people drive in the left lane? No matter what highway if the speed limit is 55mph people have to be in the left lane and faster folks 60mph have to pass on the right. On 95 there are 3 or 4 lanes but people want to be in the left lane at 70mph causing faster drivers to pass on the right. Doesn't common sense dictate that if a stream of cars are passing you on the right that maybe you should move over to the right, because, the left lane is the passing lane. Being familiar with investigating fatal MV accidents over a 25 years period, the majority of highway fatalities occur in the left lane from cars going opposite direction hitting head on. When I drive I find that the fastest lane is the far right lane, if no one is turning right its usually empty, just don't understand the logic of the left lane drivers

Replies

• Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    The reason is the two key words in your post, "common sense", unfortunately a majority of our population does not have common sense. It's worse than that actually, a majority of our population are also not smart and in general, ignorant.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,774 Moderator
    The reason is the two key words in your post, "common sense", unfortunately a majority of our population does not have common sense. It's worse than that actually, a majority of our population are also not smart and in general, ignorant.

I have to disagree... Majority of those I encounter in public claim to be very knowledgeable and surely know the law as they have no hesitation declaring it... :wink
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Better question. Why don't local government cops and FHP enforce the "No coasting in the left lane" law that is on the books?
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    I do it all the time, especially on long trips (driving speed limit) it helps pass the time... besides whats wrong with it? The law sets the speed limit.. the way I interpret it if your driving less than the speed limit you should not be in the left lane. Just cause its the "fast" lane does not circumvent the law and allow you to go faster legally... duh:blowkiss
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    Left lane is for passing, and faster traffic. Any slow drivers in the left lane should be ticketed.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA
  • DrSnookDrSnook Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Nope. If I remember correctly it states you may not impede the FLOW of traffic...
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    :machinegun
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    I do it all the time, especially on long trips (driving speed limit) it helps pass the time... besides whats wrong with it? The law sets the speed limit.. the way I interpret it if your driving less than the speed limit you should not be in the left lane. Just cause its the "fast" lane does not circumvent the law and allow you to go faster legally... duh:blowkiss
    :Angry:stinkfish
    :driver:
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    I like to daydream while I traverse .
  • on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    jad1097 wrote: »

I love me some Ministry! Can you post up a vid of Halloween?
    Ohh,,, no he didnt!!! LMFAO
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,905 AG
    Blue hairs, transplants, good old boys, and blue hair good old transplants

Exportt hem from my state of Florida and we will all be good
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
    You must be a young whipper snapper, Rock. Even young whipper snappers become antiques if they are lucky and don't die doing something crazy that young whipper snappers do.
    Im young in my heart
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,195 Captain
    rock_fish wrote: »
    my state

That's funny.
    I aim to lighten
    Better question. Why don't local government cops and FHP enforce the "No coasting in the left lane" law that is on the books?

A new state law effective today makes it a $60 fine to drive 10 mphbelow the posted speed limit in the left lane on major Florida roadways.

"Ifyou're going to ride in the left lane and stay in that lane, you needto go the speed limit," said Bobby Interian of Naples, who stopped forfuel at the Pilot Travel Center on Luckett Road off I-75 Sunday.

The left lane violation is one of a number of new road rules and other laws that became active today.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/03/11/2027276/
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    A new state law effective today makes it a $60 fine to drive 10 mphbelow the posted speed limit in the left lane on major Florida roadways.

"Ifyou're going to ride in the left lane and stay in that lane, you needto go the speed limit," said Bobby Interian of Naples, who stopped forfuel at the Pilot Travel Center on Luckett Road off I-75 Sunday.

The left lane violation is one of a number of new road rules and other laws that became active today.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/03/11/2027276/

In my opinion this accomplishes nothing and could actually make things worse - some people will now feel justified in sitting in the left lane and doing exactly the speed limit.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »

Time moves at the same rate in this universe
    whether you are in the left or right lane, unless
    you're going the speed of light.

I figure cops don't enforce this vigorously because
    they witness 345,000 other more serious infractions
    per minute on the FL highways.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    I had a FHP officer tell me that even if I was going 75-80 mph in the left Lane in a 70 mph zone, the law says I should yield to oncoming faster traffic and move to a right Lane .
    Btw a couple weeks ago I saw an FHP follow close for about 2-3 minutes. Lady would not pull over . His lights came on and I assume he ticketed her for not moving to the right Lane.
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    Its the flow of traffic, because your going 6 or 8 miles over the speed limit cops aren't going to bother you when everyone one else is. Its the guy or girl who insists on keeping in the left lane that's the problem which causes others to pass on the right which in some states is on the books as illegal but hardly enforced.
  • RottenRotten Posts: 465 Deckhand
    Failure to keep right is dangerous by causing faster traffic to make unsafe right side lane changes. If you feel compelled to do the Country a favor and do the speed limit in any of the lanes, just have the sense to yield to the right for faster traffic.
    Music is Life, learn to play and Live!!!! I also Love to Fish!!!
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    The people that don't yield and expect others to pass on the right suck, and so do people who don't believe in turn signals.
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    The interstate pace cars in left lane lockdown are a serious problem.

Its been shown, without a doubt, that non-conforming drivers that block up the left lanes are the primary cause of traffic flow problems. It does not matter how fast the speed limit, how many lanes of traffic or how many people per car, there is no engineering solution to traffic flow problems caused by slow drivers in the left lane(s). We simply cannot engineer our way around the problem.

As long as people selfishly block up the left lane(s), we will have traffic congestion significantly worse than we would have otherwise.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    In FL I've learned to consider turn signals a "trap."
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    In FL I've learned to consider turn signals a "trap."

How so?

If somebody is going to hit me they better have their turn signal on. :)
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    My pet peeve is the people that turn on their hazard lights when it's raining and continue driving.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,399 Moderator
    What sucks is using the left lane to pass and then getting stuck there because the "fast" cars won't wait or slow to let you back over to the right. :banghead :banghead That really irks me..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    nole76 wrote: »
    and could actually make things worse - some people will now feel justified in sitting in the left lane and doing exactly the speed limit.

The State messed up... It now codified the speed you must maintain...61 MPH.

The left lane has *ALWAYS* been for overtaking / passing.... Some dipsticks "think" that if they want to *SPEED*...that left lane driving gives you that right.....after all...It's the "flow" :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you