Withlacoochee flyrod slam 06/24/2014 with the Spanker

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
Pete (AKA Snookspanker) was needing a fishing fix and so was I. We talked some on the phone and after hearing that Fishingrod was doing good on the redbreasts up at Suwannee I said we should fly fish the river here.

Pete came to the house and we loaded the boat, ready to fish.. Not... :banghead
Stupid battery was dead ? Back to the house and on the charger it went. :huh Must have left something on ?

Two hours later we're back at the ramp.:willynilly Geez . Load the boat, it starts , and we're off !

IMGP0597_zps25111181.jpg

River is always pretty.

IMGP0598_zps1043c7a0.jpg

Pete has a couple of 3/4 wt really light flyrods and we had 4# tippets and small popping bugs. The fish were ready.

We start with some small 'gills.

IMGP0600_zpsa8bc40c1.jpg

Then some redbreast.

IMGP0601_zpsf69ed053.jpg

I'm thinking slam , Withlacoochee Slam ! :grin I flip a bug out and Bam ! Giant bass on the ultralight flyrod.

IMGP0599_zps1c88414b.jpg

:grin No , he wasn't giant. But tell that to him. He sure thought he was. :cool:

OK , zeroing in on my slam. What's next ? Oh , maybe a true Florida fish ! The wiley warmouth..

IMGP0603_zps4264026f.jpg

My first one on a flyrod. Got a couple of shellcrackers (np pic's) and Pete hooked up.
IMGP0604_zpsc0382d3b.jpg

Bass for Spanker on the fly..

IMGP0606_zpse101efc0.jpg

We were almost to MEGA SLAM status but something was missing ?
Oh yeah , the crafty Stumpknocker !
IMGP0607_zps02922293.jpg

Quite possibly the meanest ,lowdown ,Wacko panfish that ever lived ! If they ever would crossbreed with a warmouth and get up to 4lbs. No one would swim in freshwater. They are not nice fish. :cool:

Of course this had to happen.

IMGP0608_zps35a74b51.jpg

Water wasn't moving very fast on the river and I noticed the lock on Turner Camp rd. is open letting water into the Hernando side out of Henderson.

Did see a big gobbler in Potts on the way. Spanker and I had a really good time flinging flies and ultra light stuff. It don't matter how big the fish , it's just fun !

Later..
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    That is an awesome report. I gotta get out there one day.
  • Captain Shane ProcellCaptain Shane Procell Posts: 371 Officer
    nice job!
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Very Cool Report You two
    Thanks for Sharing Your trip
    :thumbsup
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 835 Officer
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,402 Admiral
    That right there is great fishing... and dinner too(cept for the gar).
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Well done fellas, that's a big list of fresh fish.:grin
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,897 Captain
    I love fishing ultralight tackle for bream and small bass. Good times.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 468 Deckhand
    Great trip! Looks like the wind died down enough to whip those poppers out there.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Really looks like fun! Didn't know there were so many varieties of panfish.
    Really looks like fun! Didn't know there were so many varieties of panfish.
    *brim
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,779 Captain
    "Bream" ... FIFY #1... backstrap of that gar is edible...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,779 Captain
    Thanks again Louis! Sometimes I forget that we can have that much fun right in our backyards! Hate to correct you on the tackle but since those were my "Axes" I'll clarify what we were using! Louie had a 7' #3weight w/ a 7' hand tyed leader ending w/ a 6X tippit (around 3.3lb test) and my choice was a 6&1/2' #2 weight w/ the same leader setup! Not exactly popper heaving rodz but after a few casts we made them work and the short leaders turned over those little poppers nicely! As for fish fighting, they were a blast as you could guess w/ most of the larger bream and bassiz bending the rodz down to the cork!! I actually started w/ a flashy wet fly which took a gill on my 1st cast!!! We did have to weed through a lot of little guys to catch the larger fish and I soon traded my wet for a popper especially after Louie hooked his first Mean-mouth-Bass!! We also had a couple 4lb spinning rodz w/ us which were also fun and Louie scored well tossing a mini floating Rapala as well as a Beetle Spin. I didn't use mine much but when I did I used a tiny top-water plug w/ props on the front and back, just can't remember the name of it??
    All in all it was a nice day except for the a.m. setback which put our fishing time right in the heat of the day! I was truely thankful that we weren't throwing 8 & 9 weight rodz cause I wouldn't have lasted very long> It was HOT!! This was one case where smaller truly was better!!! Now that I've had a taste of this Mini type fishing I'm sure I'll be doing more of it but maybe early a.m. or late p.m. after the T-storms and Summer heat!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,891 Captain
    Man, this report reminds me of my younger fishing days in the canals of S. Florida. Shellcrackers were always my favorite. Excellent read. It was like a stroll down memory lane. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    Man I miss doing that. Gonna dust off the 4 wt. Looks like a great time.

Where did you launch louie? How far from Dunnellon?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    GitchaPull wrote: »
    Man I miss doing that. Gonna dust off the 4 wt. Looks like a great time.

Where did you launch louie? How far from Dunnellon?

GP , we launched at the Turner camp ramp and ran up river. That is here in Inverness. The river has Several ramps and if someone had a way to get picked up they could drop off kayaks or canoes and float down stream to the next ramp for haul out.

Figure on most of the day when doing that if trying to fish also.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Thats awsome capt. !!! ♡ the warmouth action !!!
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    "Bream" ... FIFY #1... backstrap of that gar is edible...
    Closer you get to JaJa the spelling changes:cool:
    I'm gonna have to try that fishing soon.
  • woodystikswoodystiks Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Amen!
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Closer you get to JaJa the spelling changes:cool:
    I'm gonna have to try that fishing soon.

JaJa means "sleep" in Korean. Just sayin. :wink
  • FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    excellent report, looks like that would have been a fun day.
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    10-4

Thanks. Working in Ocala for the next 3 days. Gonna head over and check on our cabin on the Rainbow tomorrow.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice change of pace boys!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,533 Captain
    Now that looks like a lot of fun...good going guys...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Fishing is "relative", I've been fishing just about every day on either the Suwannee or the Santa Fe and the bream bite is hot right now. Using the fly rod or the ultra lights it is great fun and fantastic eating. We've been getting a variety of fish, so I'm calling them "Redbelliedbluecrackermouthstumps" with some legal bass thrown in..... Fished the SF two days ago above the river sink at Oleno, hard to get the boat in (Biblecamp road) but ZERO boat traffic and really high sides on the river make for a peaceful time with some BIG bream. Good job Louie and Pete.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Fishing is "relative", I've been fishing just about every day on either the Suwannee or the Santa Fe and the bream bite is hot right now. Using the fly rod or the ultra lights it is great fun and fantastic eating. We've been getting a variety of fish, so I'm calling them "Redbelliedbluecrackermouthstumps" with some legal bass thrown in..... Fished the SF two days ago above the river sink at Oleno, hard to get the boat in (Biblecamp road) but ZERO boat traffic and really high sides on the river make for a peaceful time with some BIG bream. Good job Louie and Pete.

I decided to do it after reading how Thad and you were doing so well. :cool:
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,779 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    I decided to do it after reading how Thad and you were doing so well. :cool:

Yep! When Louie said "Why don't we just go over to the River and play w/ some panfeesh" I said Hell Yes!!! I haven't gone out w/ the sole purpose to catch bream in a long time and when Louie said "If Rodney is catching them up north of us, they should be biting here too!" So I need to thank You too Rod!! If You hadn't of posted about You and Thad, Louie and I probably wouldn't have gone and missed a real good time! Hell I'm ready to do it again!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I fished the Suwannee at Fanning springs for two hours yesterday evening and put 25 of them suckers in the boat.... If you want to take a kid fishing and have a great time this is the thing to do, Thad says it's his favorite fishing. Constant action! You get a topwater strike on just about every cast. F5 Rapala's are expensive ($9.00) but worth every penny of the cost. A Zebco ultra light is $13.00 at Wally World and you're in business for some great fun. Those **** garfish, and mudfish too, will steal your $9.00 lure so I cuss them every time I hook one.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter