Home Off Topic

He Is At It Again - LeBron Goes For Free Agency

MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
When is enough money, enough?
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    When is enough money, enough?

Unless you are trolling, which is very possible, you could not be more clueless on the topic.
    You realize the "last time he did this" he did not take a max deal?
    He is making the smart move, something you know nothing about apparently.
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    Just hope he doesn't screw it up and have another hour episode of where he is going on ESPN. Hope he learned a lesson.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    Not one, not two, not ............................

[video=youtube_share;pT-I8jQDQ7c]
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    My guess is he realizes now is the time to free up the heat so they can go after another player, who I'm not sure yet but I'm hoping I'm missing a PG that's in free agency.
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    he took less money to come to the heat and prob will take less again to stay in the heat if the heat can provide a supporting cast.
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • Purple HazePurple Haze Posts: 132 Officer
    Silly topic. Lebron is not chasing $$.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Not worried.

I'm expecting 5 years @ $18 mill or something of the sort. Wade needs to take less, I hope Riley promises him or signs a contract in which he would be guaranteed an office job or something on the court after basketball. Keep him a member of the heat for life as he should be (Think Zo) Bosh should take around what LBJ takes.

Bring in Lowry/Okefor and another band of misfit vets who need a ring and let's do this!

I DO NOT WANT MELO!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    The Heat need to address a lot in the off-season, even with the big 3. They cannot seem to rebound, have no half court offense and their guard play was dismal through the playoffs.

The Spurs were only a few points away from a sweep in the finals and most games we blow outs!!
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,935 Admiral
    LeBron opting out is no surprise. He wants to explore his options fully.

I think he will re sign with Miami for the max 5yr. @25.2m. I find it odd to ask an all-nba first teamer in the prime of his career to take a pay cut, even if he's also making $40m/yr in endorsements.

Bosh and Wade, on the other hand should take cuts, maybe 14-16m/yr. I expect both of them to sign on the first, get it over with so the team can concentrate on other free agents, and LeBron.

Anthony, no thank you. Though I could see LeBron and Anthony going to LA, if LA can find anybody stupid enough to pick up Steve Nash's contract.

Okefor, or any other talented big man sure would be nice.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    It's not rocket science. LeBron opts out, Wade will opt out in the next few days. Contracts restructured and gives room to sign Melo and another 3 or 4 (position not players) that can help score points.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    I really think they need some new coaching, not necessarily the head coach, but different guys to help the team in areas where they hurt like defense, the Spurs really opened up where they were weak against the better Western Conference teams.

Last year they had better bench/role players that gave them the edge, they thought they could do it without them, didn't work.

Greg Oden is a joke.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Not a lot of respect for him anymore. Magic didn't leave. Jordan didn't leave. Bird didn't leave. Duncan didn't leave. Jabbar didn't leave. Russell didn't leave.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    mikev wrote: »
    Not a lot of respect for him anymore. Magic didn't leave. Jordan didn't leave. Bird didn't leave. Duncan didn't leave. Jabbar didn't leave. Russell didn't leave.

A bit premature here, huh?

He hasn't gone ANYWHERE yet.

Relax, don't go "Cleveland" on him just yet.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    A bit premature here, huh?

He hasn't gone ANYWHERE yet.

Relax, don't go "Cleveland" on him just yet.

Oh, I'm not a Heat fan at all. I could really care less if he stays or goes. But he's not even in the same league as those I mentioned before. They built and earned their legacy to the game. He has not. He will not.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    LBJ has done more with less than any1 in the history of the NBA.
    Take a gander @ the Cavs team he brought to the NBA finals... then go look at the rosters of those you mentioned Mike.
    People who can not appreciate his game really blow my mind.
    Don't even get me started on this years heat team.
    Oh, I'm not a Heat fan at all. I could really care less if he stays or goes. But he's not even in the same league as those I mentioned before. They built and earned their legacy to the game. He has not. He will not.

LOL there is only ONE player that you have mentioned on that list who is still playing.

It's easy to compare him to someone who is done and finished with their career (in retrospect) as hindsight is always 20.20. LBJ is just now getting into his prime and he will have many more years to cement his legacy.

Without a doubt he is the best basketball player of my/his generation and is a fantastic role model for kids (no arrests, no DUI's, doesn't even drink, tons of charity work etc) Quit hating so hard on the dude, he came here for a championship and won 2 rings. What is your issue?
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    DuPont wrote: »
    LBJ has done more with less than any1 in the history of the NBA.
    Take a gander @ the Cavs team he brought to the NBA finals... then go look at the rosters of those you mentioned Mike.
    People who can not appreciate his game really blow my mind.
    Don't even get me started on this years heat team.

Disagree. All of those players I mentioned made the people around them better. And I forgot to add Thomas and the "Bad Boys" to that list as well as Malone and Stockton. Never said that I don't appreciate his game, he is one hell of a player, probably one of the best ever. His legacy will be as an individual, not as a team player. You can't even mention Duncan without the Spurs, Jordan without the Bulls, Bird without the Celtics, etc. Who are you going to mention James with?
    LOL there is only ONE player that you have mentioned on that list who is still playing.

Point being?
    It's easy to compare him to someone who is done and finished with their career (in retrospect) as hindsight is always 20.20. LBJ is just now getting into his prime and he will have many more years to cement his legacy.

If you're talking individual stats, yes. That's not what I'm talking about. It's about the ability to make the others around you (also known as team mates) better to achieve the goal of winning it all. He'll get his stats, he'll get his MVP's. That's about it.
    Without a doubt he is the best basketball player of my/his generation and is a fantastic role model for kids (no arrests, no DUI's, doesn't even drink, tons of charity work etc) Quit hating so hard on the dude, he came here for a championship and won 2 rings. What is your issue?

First, he's not a role model for anyone. That's for the parents, and that's for another thread.

My main issue is that he left Cleveland in the first place. He worked a deal with other high quality players to go to a team, play together and win. I could be wrong, I don't follow that closely, but wasn't/isn't that team the first ever to have three top five draft picks on it? The two rings were bought and paid for, just like the Marlins did years ago. The press conference regarding that was absolutely ridiculous. And none, not one of the "old guys" as you put it would have ever, ever done what he did. They built those teams and their team mates. Prime example is Scotty Pippen. He was a decent player. Jordan made him very, very good. Who has James done that for? Nobody, they are provided for him. Who will he do that for? Nobody.

Don't misunderstand, I really like LeBron. Really. He's probably the best individual player I'll ever see.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    You know all these teams mentioned, brought other players to come play with there stars. Something Cleveland lacked for the years Lebron spent there. The heat have been bringing in players for the past couple years to help in supporting roles, they haven't been the best at it, but they have been trying.

Lebron is definitely a team player and probably the most unselfish in the league, that may be a downfall at times though. Give it a couple years and you won't be talking about James without the heat
    I could be wrong, I don't follow that closely

Agreed!
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Agreed!

So what is it then? Is what I said not true?

1 1 LeBron James* SF United States Cleveland Cavaliers St. Vincent–St. Mary High School (Akron, OH)
    1 2 Darko Miličić C Serbia and Montenegro Detroit Pistons (from Memphis)[5] Hemofarm Vrsac
    1 3 Carmelo Anthony* SF United States Denver Nuggets Syracuse (Fr)
    1 4 Chris Bosh* F/C United States Toronto Raptors Georgia Tech (Fr)
    1 5 Dwyane Wade*

Now they are trying to add the #3 pick as well. So no, you'd be wrong. Apparently you don't even follow as closely as I do.
    Well, claiming somebody is a better player because they never switched teams is quite subjective and impossible to determine if true or false.

In my opinion though, I'd say that you don't know what you're talking about. Stick to soccer.
    Well, claiming somebody is a better player because they never switched teams is quite subjective and impossible to determine if true or false.

Who said that? In fact, I've said right here in this very thread that he's probably the best individual player I'd ever see in my lifetime. Didn't you see that part? He is NOT, nor ever will be a team builder. He has not, nor will he ever make the players around him better.
    In my opinion though, I'd say that you don't know what you're talking about. Stick to soccer.

Your opinion is blinded by your team loyalty. And, even though I think I know soccer, I picked Spain. That didn't work out so well. But I did beat you in the BCS bowl Picks. Boom.
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    You know all these teams mentioned, brought other players to come play with there stars. Something Cleveland lacked for the years Lebron spent there. The heat have been bringing in players for the past couple years to help in supporting roles, they haven't been the best at it, but they have been trying.

Lebron is definitely a team player and probably the most unselfish in the league, that may be a downfall at times though. Give it a couple years and you won't be talking about James without the heat

This x2

Dan Gilbert never opened up the checkbook to make the Cavs better. Remember the team that LBJ took to the finals? 2007 I believe? Go look it up. After that, 2007-2010 what exactly did Gilbert do to help LBJ? Nothing. He didn't go out of his way to bring LBJ a ring...

Then, when LBJ left...what did Gilbert do? Go google the letter he wrote.

Was "the decision" warranted? Heck no. They made a spectacle of it, and made a ton of money for the local economy in the past four years. Hating LBJ for leaving Cleveland just isn't fair. The Bulls PAID UP and made sure they kept their core together, also to say that MJ didn't have the talent around him is a joke.

You can't see it because you refuse to do so. Comparing LBJ to any of the players you mentioned is like apples and oranges. Different games, different society, different league all together!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Comparing LBJ to any of the players you mentioned is like apples and oranges. Different games, different society, different league all together!

This part I agree with, but not for the reasons that you think. I could look it up, but "back in the day" I'm saying that the popularity of the NBA was a whole is better than it is today. I bet ratings were higher nationwide instead of just regionally. Maybe the NBA should get back to the way it was? Might increase the ratings.
    Point being?

If you're talking individual stats, yes. That's not what I'm talking about. It's about the ability to make the others around you (also known as team mates) better to achieve the goal of winning it all. He'll get his stats, he'll get his MVP's. That's about it.

First, he's not a role model for anyone. That's for the parents, and that's for another thread.

My main issue is that he left Cleveland in the first place. He worked a deal with other high quality players to go to a team, play together and win. I could be wrong, I don't follow that closely, but wasn't/isn't that team the first ever to have three top five draft picks on it? The two rings were bought and paid for, just like the Marlins did years ago. The press conference regarding that was absolutely ridiculous. And none, not one of the "old guys" as you put it would have ever, ever done what he did. They built those teams and their team mates. Prime example is Scotty Pippen. He was a decent player. Jordan made him very, very good. Who has James done that for? Nobody, they are provided for him. Who will he do that for? Nobody.

Don't misunderstand, I really like LeBron. Really. He's probably the best individual player I'll ever see.

I can shut this down very easily Mike so here ya go...
    MJ left to play baseball and the bulls still went to the finals w/o him the next year. Pippin in a top50 player alone.
    LBJ left the cavs team he brought to the NBA FINALS and the same team without him had the WORST record in the NBA the next year.
    To say LBJ does not make players around him better is one of the most off base points I have heard in a long time.
    Just IMO... to each his own.
    The "decision" was in poor taste and LBJ has said so... One can only be so lucky if their greatest pro flub brings millions to the local boys and girls club.
    DuPont wrote: »
    LBJ left the cavs team he brought to the NBA FINALS and the same team without him had the WORST record in the NBA the next year.

He left the next year after making the finals. That's exactly my point. Didn't say he wasn't important to the team or any team. He bails when the going get's rough. He's proved it once already. And if he leaves Miami, he'll prove it again. He doesn't build teams or team mates. They are provided to him or he leaves.

So now the shutdown isn't so easy, is it?

Oh, and even from your own post, MJ left, Bulls still won. He built them.
    Lol.
    Will we agree to disagree on this one Mike.
    :beer