Home Off Topic

Is marina holding customer's boat hostage?

tagtag Posts: 8,942 Admiral
GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. -- Devitt Harrison is fighting to recover his houseboat, River Escape."

"This is a case of what I believe is pirating on the St. Johns," he said," manipulating a law that was meant for good."

Harrison said his nightmare began last October while traversing the St. Johns river he stopped at the Green Cover Springs Marina.

"I stopped in for fuel and to have minor service done by this marina; cleaning the prop," he said.

Harrison said in November he tried to pick it up his boat but couldn't because the Marina had misplaced one of the two keys for the boat, so he left the boat and was waiting for them to locate the keys

"(Repeated) phone calls have you all found the keys yet," he said, "I wasn't trying to press them."

April 2014 the marina email him an invoice for $534.47 for storage charges, he said he thought it was a mistake.

"I contacted them to say there must be some mistake here cause you can't expect me to take the boat without the keys," said Harrison," you were suppose to get back with me to let me know about the keys.

Sometime either before or after, the marina declared the vessel as being abandoned. Then the management hired a company to do a title search and notify Harrison. According to the documents the notice was sent to an address on the title which is different to the address on the billing invoice.

"They're alleging that they contact me that they were taking the boat I have nothing to that regard whatsoever," said Harrison.

Harrison has filed a complaint with the Clay county Sheriff's office which is now investigating to see if this is civil or a criminal case.

Bob Speakman is president of the Marina.

"We never heard from him; he left his boat, he said he was tired of it," said Speakman.

Speakman said at one point the marina had found someone to buy the boat for $15 thousand and Harrison was interested until the would be buyer reneged and offered to buy it for $5000 instead.

"We took possession of the boat for lack of storage payment," said Speakman " and we did it according to the rules."

"I want my boat back," said Harrison.

The boat with is titled "River Escape" is now behind a barbed wire fence in dry dock and the marina president said at this point Harrison has one of two options if he wants his boat.

"He can put in a bid on it on Craigslist,' said Speakman," or he can take us to court and let a judge decide."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/consumer/on-your-side/2014/06/23/is-marina-holding-customers-boat-hostage/11284097/

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    There is more to this story.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,942 Admiral
    I agree. This was written from the boat owners view. I guess the marine refused to talk.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    tag wrote: »
    I agree. This was written from the boat owners view. I guess the marine refused to talk.

:huh
    tag wrote: »
    Bob Speakman is president of the Marina.

"We never heard from him; he left his boat, he said he was tired of it," said Speakman.

Speakman said at one point the marina had found someone to buy the boat for $15 thousand and Harrison was interested until the would be buyer reneged and offered to buy it for $5000 instead.

"We took possession of the boat for lack of storage payment," said Speakman " and we did it according to the rules."

"I want my boat back," said Harrison.

The boat with is titled "River Escape" is now behind a barbed wire fence in dry dock and the marina president said at this point Harrison has one of two options if he wants his boat.

"He can put in a bid on it on Craigslist,' said Speakman," or he can take us to court and let a judge decide."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/consumer/on-your-side/2014/06/23/is-marina-holding-customers-boat-hostage/11284097/

:thumbsup
  • TowersTowers Posts: 681 Officer
    I think the marina stole the boat. The marina couldn't answer where the key was... the owner should have broken into his own boat and
    removed it ASAP... but the marina screwed the owner of the boat in the end..
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    Harrison lies.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    How do you expect to leave a freaking house boat at a marina and not get charged for storage? How big is that thing? Does he really expect that they would not charge him storage? Sounds like he needed a place to keep it and wanted it to be kept there for no charge, since he had the prop cleaned, good grief.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Leaving the boat because 1 of 2 keys was misplaced makes no sense.
    Leaving a boat after a prop cleaning for longer than the time to do the job makes no sense.
    Waiting 6 mos for them to find the "extra" key before moving your boat makes no sense...
    and he would've waited longer had the joo scammer POS not gotten invoiced.

Harrison is a POS lying liar who lies.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Do you think Harrison lies?
    I don't even think it's his boat at this point.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    I like the guy...he seems nice.... :shrug

How can you tell that he is ahchoo.... ??
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    I like Harrison. I think that Harrison should pay for services rendered, but, Harrison has never done me wrong.
  • loose_cannonloose_cannon Posts: 592 Officer
    Harrison is getting schooled on what "enforcement of lien" means in the sunshine state.
    Member #813
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    Marinas have a very small profit margin. The costs of running an upscale marina cannot compete with dead beat boat owners/gypsy's.
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I like the guy...he seems nice.... :shrug

How can you tell that he is ahchoo.... ??

Cause he's trying to get something for free.
    Also, his wife wears alot of jewelry.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral

If it's costume jewelry; he might just be a Democrat.:grin
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    I don't even think it's his boat at this point.

See if they will sell it to you.

Sounds like a certain demographic.... EBT cards give you things for free
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I think I will call the marina and offer to take it off their hands
    for 3x the bill. I won't even ***** about only getting 1 key.
    I I won't even ***** about only getting 1 key.

Throw a rock thru a window...climb in and unlock the door...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I think I will call the marina and offer to take it off their hands
    for 3x the bill. .

You're not much of a haggler... Offer half the bill....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I'm just curious, but how many here have multiple(s) of keys to thier boats?

It seems like tghis gut had 2 keys, and they lost both of them. How is he to move the boat without keys? Shouldn't the marina be responsible, if not partly, for thier actions (or inactions).

That being said, Harrison seems like an alright guy, maybe he should offer to pay the original bill, and be done with it?
    They lost 1 of 2 keys. They had the other.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,017 Captain
    I wouldn't let a missing key keep me off my boat for months.....

Maybe takes two to tango. That Marina is slam full of junk boats. Third whirled marine industry decline.

The owner not the first to basically abandon.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    As a marina owner I see stuff like this all the time. People will find an excuse to leave their boat docked for days or months and then try to get out of paying.
    I've had people get towed in (usually we do not charge ramp fee or overnight dockage to a stranded boater) but some people will tie up their boat and not return for days or weeks and expect to pay nothing.
    I've had people pay for an overnight dockage and leave the boat for 2 weeks then sneek it out in the middle of the night.
    People rent a slip for a month and leave the boat for several months not answering the phone etc.. then come in and jump on the boat and try to leave without paying. ( I had the FWC catch one boat 50 miles north after he skipped out on a $600. bill.. turns out I wasn't the first place he did this to and he was jailed for several bills he had skipped out on)
    I even had a guy come in rent a slip for a week to "work on his boat" strip the hull down then abandon it and disappear.

We are only getting half of this story.. I'm sure the court records will tell a much different story.
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
    He probably didn't even give the marina 2 keys.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Capt.Ed wrote: »
    As a marina owner I see stuff like this all the time. People will find an excuse to leave their boat docked for days or months and then try to get out of paying.
    I've had people get towed in (usually we do not charge ramp fee or overnight dockage to a stranded boater) but some people will tie up their boat and not return for days or weeks and expect to pay nothing.
    I've had people pay for an overnight dockage and leave the boat for 2 weeks then sneek it out in the middle of the night.
    People rent a slip for a month and leave the boat for several months not answering the phone etc.. then come in and jump on the boat and try to leave without paying. ( I had the FWC catch one boat 50 miles north after he skipped out on a $600. bill.. turns out I wasn't the first place he did this to and he was jailed for several bills he had skipped out on)
    I even had a guy come in rent a slip for a week to "work on his boat" strip the hull down then abandon it and disappear.

We are only getting half of this story.. I'm sure the court records will tell a much different story.

I agree, story sounds fishy. If I only had one key I would take my boat and require the marina to reimburse me for replacing the lost key.
    This doesn't pass the smell test.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    I agree, story sounds fishy. If I only had one key I would take my boat and require the marina to reimburse me for replacing the lost key.
    This doesn't pass the smell test.

Skip...bid on it and we'll put it on lake O for a duck camp.... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,873 Captain
    He probably didn't even give the marina 2 keys.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Very good point. I was thinking the same thing in the marina owners defense. If the boat has 2 engines there was no reason to leave it that long b/c 1 key was missing. He should have taken care of this in a timely manner or paid the storage fee.
    How much is a replacement key - $5, wouldn't the keys match by design, why not go make a copy of the one key and deduct it from the service / fuel bill and be done.
    I hate to hear about the man sticking it to the little guy, but I also hate seeing people use a tiny excuse to get something for free.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
    It is a houseboat, maybe there was a key for the house and another for the engines.

Pretty **** poor story all around if you ask me.