can anyone recommend a ladder (or somethine else) to get into a 189 from the water

2»

Replies

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    he broke the gaff but I still was able to get him in the boat after a bit of back and forth
    Great pic and experience!
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    That console in the picture is from a Florida Boat. Guess what...It's got 5200 on the bottom. Once that cured, silicone sealant was installed on top of the 5200 to complete the finish at the bottom of the console. If you only had 5200 it would get mold on it. If you were to look on the inside the console you'll see that if you can see the selant it will be moldy. I doubt that Frank is using cheap materials. That not how he works. Beleave me there are alot of ways to cheapen an Egret. I can tell you silicone would not be the first place to start. Tight Lines... Pete

Well that process you described right there answers why there would be two different materials used for caulking if the new boats follow the old process.

Say a boat builder is using pipe dope instead of Loctite on steering components to save a penny or two. Would you believe that builder would spend the money on good silicone?
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Well that process you described right there answers why there would be two different materials used for caulking if the new boats follow the old process.

Say a boat builder is using pipe dope instead of Loctite on steering components to save a penny or two. Would you believe that builder would spend the money on good silicone?

I can tell you that in any business you need to watch your margins if you want stay in business. When Scott and Jim started Egret, the flats boat market was completely different than it is today. They created a niche market that was willing to pay for a superior product. Simply because the quality, fit and finish was not available anywhere else. If I remember right the slogan said something to the effect "There is no peer in its class, only cheaper boats"

I haven't worked with Frank A. for several years. But I do believe he still builds the best built boat in this market. It may be very possible that the components he uses are coming to him with pipe dope not Loctite. Tight Lines... Pete
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    I am sure Frank removed the pipe dope from his shop after he paid to replace my helm. He does build a great product. The problem is with any company. You can not watch everyone at all times. Stuff happens and you fix it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I am sure Frank removed the pipe dope from his shop after he paid to replace my helm.
    You just told Bad Behavior to watch out for the pipe dope when he has to pull the steering on his brand new boat and send it in for an upgrade to the appropriate size! Would you say that if you were really sure the pipe dope is out of the shop? :)
    Stuff happens and you fix it.
    I wish that were the case and I'd be a very happy customer if it were, but as you well know with your trailer, stuff happens and the customer gets blamed with no help from the factory. The factory ignores the issue and continues with business as usual.. When you buy a product from a business owner who has so much confidence in the product he doesn't own one that's probably what you can expect.

My trolling motor was installed with a screw so of course it rattled loose within a year and Frank seemed completely uninterested about that when I mentioned it to him. No apology or concern or offer to fix it. Bad Behavior: could you please stick your hand up under the trolling motor mounting plate and see if it's through bolted for all 4 fasteners or just screwed in for part of it.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    These work well and are stable. Uses a small mount that attaches to the transom and the ladder stows away when not in use. Hope this helps.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm

Guys, which ladder is better, the TH Marine ladder off the jack plate or the armstrong ladder?
    Guys, which ladder is better, the TH Marine ladder off the jack plate or the armstrong ladder?

Renegade69 just saw my TH Marine ladder and I think he fell in love with it too.. :)
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Bo
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    You just told Bad Behavior to watch out for the pipe dope when he has to pull the steering on his brand new boat and send it in for an upgrade to the appropriate size! Would you say that if you were really sure the pipe dope is out of the shop? :)

I wish that were the case and I'd be a very happy customer if it were, but as you well know with your trailer, stuff happens and the customer gets blamed with no help from the factory. The factory ignores the issue and continues with business as usual.. When you buy a product from a business owner who has so much confidence in the product he doesn't own one that's probably what you can expect.

My trolling motor was installed with a screw so of course it rattled loose within a year and Frank seemed completely uninterested about that when I mentioned it to him. No apology or concern or offer to fix it. Bad Behavior: could you please stick your hand up under the trolling motor mounting plate and see if it's through bolted for all 4 fasteners or just screwed in for part of it.

Bolted through:-)
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Renegade69 just saw my TH Marine ladder and I think he fell in love with it too.. :)

Has anyone else tried Bowers' TH Marine Ladder? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWiWxlIgK-g

I gotta say it looks like a really good option. The Armstrong ladders with brackets can damage gel coat and even the fiberglass if left down when you drive off. Can't say I'm beyond a foul up like that.

The TH Marine Boarding Ladder is tough, right on the engine bracket. I imagine using the poling platform to get up it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyone else tried them?
    I found what I think is the optimal solution for a decent, accommodating climb. Armstrong has a swing ladder that floats up and will not lever and damage hull if left down when you drive off.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/swing_ladders.htm
    Bolted through:-)
    Glad to hear it!
    Armstrong has a swing ladder that floats up and will not lever and damage hull if left down when you drive off.

You will have to find somewhere to stow the ladder. The Armstrong is probably a better choice if you're going to use the ladder a lot, but the T-H is so sweet the way it's always there and still pretty functional with the poling platform to assist. It's also always there if you fall out solo and need the assistance to get back in.
    Frank A told me yesterday that the Armstrong ladder will not fit on the boat. He said the bracket is "way, way too big". Too bad because the one I selected floated up so it was impossible to damage the ladder or transom if you drive off with it down.

I suppose I am going to put the TH Marine Twist Step ladder that Bowers uses. My big concern is that I leave it down and take off and it twists up like a corkscrew. I guess I'll have to be careful.

I actually like the rope ladder attached to the poling platform idea. The sell the steps individually for some models so I'll probably make my own so that the length is right to tie to the poling platform and hang over the side. I'll post pictures when I eventually do it.
    So what's the report on the ladder HeartNShoal? Still treading water trying to get back in? ;)
    Martin I like the ladder a lot. Thanks for a good suggestion. Definitely a low profile. Never gets in the way. I have used it once and it works great for a fit individual. I also made a rope ladder for when my father comes down and we go snorkeling. It is the one Pole Position showed. It hangs off the poling platform.

Also I did leave it down once when I drove off and it didn't hurt it a bit. Just a little rooster tail. Lol. I was concerned about that but it was a nonissue.
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    after some use now, i have actually found that if I am snorkeling with fins on, I can swim up the side of the boat and reach up and grab the console rail and then pull myself onto the boat by rotating one leg up and onto the deck. i actually dont use the ladder on my boat most of the time. just another great thing about these flats boats. so much easier to get in and out then a larger boat. they make a great a platform for shallow water diving. my wife still comes up the rope ladder and at a cost of about $35 it has served us well.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    So your saying the ladders are for the weaker people?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas