can anyone recommend a ladder (or somethine else) to get into a 189 from the water

lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 96 Greenhorn
I want to ask if anyone has good ideas or recommendations for getting into the boat from the water. I found this on Westmarine but I don't think it would work as the gunnels and sides are very different from a common center console

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--portable-gunwale-mount-boarding-ladders--P005_158_001_525

what do people do to get a snorkeler back into the boat. climbing over the side has proved difficult in the past and I would like to keep people away from the back even while the motor is off.

thanks in advance for any help on this

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,337 Officer
    These work well and are stable. Uses a small mount that attaches to the transom and the ladder stows away when not in use. Hope this helps.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    thanks FlatsBoy

I am reluctant to mount anything into the hull but maybe i will end up with one of the those ladders. i am going to try one of these rope ladders over the side first. i figure it might work as all you really need is to have the swimmer take one step up before they can get most of the their body onto the side. i will try this over the weekend and see how it works

http://www.westmarine.com/boarding-ladders/sea-dog--five-step-boarding-ladder--123406
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    thanks FlatsBoy

I am reluctant to mount anything into the hull but maybe i will end up with one of the those ladders. i am going to try one of these rope ladders over the side first. i figure it might work as all you really need is to have the swimmer take one step up before they can get most of the their body onto the side. i will try this over the weekend and see how it works

http://www.westmarine.com/boarding-ladders/sea-dog--five-step-boarding-ladder--123406

I love my TH marine boarding ladder. It uses the motor's bolts to attach next to the motor so no new holes. Out of the way when you don't need it but easily deployed even if you're solo and fall off the boat. It gives you a more graceful departure from the water than your entry.. :)

It probably works better with a jackplate but I don't have a jackplate and I'm totally happy with it. Couple of different mounting options so make sure you get the correct option for how you want it set up.
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I want to ask if anyone has good ideas or recommendations for getting into the boat from the water. I found this on Westmarine but I don't think it would work as the gunnels and sides are very different from a common center console

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--portable-gunwale-mount-boarding-ladders--P005_158_001_525

what do people do to get a snorkeler back into the boat. climbing over the side has proved difficult in the past and I would like to keep people away from the back even while the motor is off.

thanks in advance for any help on this
    That one from westmarine wont work, I tried that on my 16 and the rod lockers are too wide.
    this is what I am thinking. a rope ladder that is secured by a rope looped around the center console at just the right length. I think this should work. should be cheap, easy and safe. I will try it this weekend and post if it works with pics
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    I wouldn't try that... If you set on the rope ladder. Tie it around the base of the poling platform....Pete
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,368 Captain
    Put the rope ladder on a cleat. Am I missing something?
    Put the rope ladder on a cleat. Am I missing something?

there is only 1 cleat on the boat and that is on the bow. there are no cleats on the side or the stern (but there is a poling platform on the stern). I am trying to stay away from the stern out of concern for safety. however, Saltwater Junkie makes a good point that I should also try it off the poling platform. the poling platform certainly gives you something to grab. I will try both. I don't want to place to much stress on the center console but If the rope I paced low, the leverage factor is reduced.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    You could pull the console right off. Its only screwed in place.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »

this is a concern that I have and its probably not worth risking it. I will go back to the drawing board. maybe the stern route is the way to go (KISS) but I dread the thought of someone slipping on any sort of ladder back there and getting cut on the sharp ends of the metal hanging back there.
    Could you add a flush mount pop up cleat? You have to consider buoyancy in water. It's not like the ladder or support needs to facilitate full body weight. It only needs to act as leverage below the surface until a person can get position to get themselves in the boat.
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 77 Greenhorn

Listen to Renegade.
    I took a wave aggressively with just me holding the wheel and my wife the grab bar and the console lifted off from the front.
    As a matter of fact , there was so little holding it down , it looked like someone may have done some previous work and not secured it properly.
    Any chance of that Renegade?
    All good , I called Frank at the factory and he had shallow water customs secure it to my specs. Better than new.
    Larry418 wrote: »
    Listen to Renegade.
    I took a wave aggressively with just me holding the wheel and my wife the grab bar and the console lifted off from the front.
    As a matter of fact , there was so little holding it down , it looked like someone may have done some previous work and not secured it properly.
    Any chance of that Renegade?
    All good , I called Frank at the factory and he had shallow water customs secure it to my specs. Better than new.

Never touched the console. I know of a guide that owns one and his 55 gallon drum of bait dislodged one. If Frank thinks I touched that console you need to tell him to rethink his rigging and quit passing then blame to me. I know he told you I must have done something to it from a conversation I had with you about this already. That is wrong. Since you asked me twice now about the same issue I am getting the feeling you do not believe me or forgot we talked about it.It was rigged badly from the factory.He rushed the boat to get it to the boat show. Why in the world would I remove a console on a 1 year old boat or mess with it. I can barley fit in there. I had back surgery and can not easily move around in that little area so to play with the console would just be ludicrous. He does tab in the consoles to the 2011 now because of similar issues. I wish Frank would have shut his mouth and fixed it without pointing fingers. That is unprofessional.
    Never touched the console. I know of a guide that owns one and his 55 gallon drum of bait dislodged one. If Frank thinks I touched that console you need to tell him to rethink his rigging and quit passing then blame to me. I know he told you I must have done something to it from a conversation I had with you about this already. That is wrong. Since you asked me twice now about the same issue I am getting the feeling you do not believe me or forgot we talked about it.It was rigged badly from the factory.He rushed the boat to get it to the boat show. Why in the world would I remove a console on a 1 year old boat or mess with it. I can barley fit in there. I had back surgery and can not easily move around in that little area so to play with the console would just be ludicrous. He does tab in the consoles to the 2011 now because of similar issues. I wish Frank would have shut his mouth and fixed it without pointing fingers. That is unprofessional.

Sorry Frank
    I don't recall our conversation.
    Actually it was Shallow Water that said it looked like there was some recaulking (two different materials in evidence) I did ask Frank when I was in S.C.. He said ,logically, it was possible but didn't know of any work performed.
    Let's be clear. Frank A. did not point any fingers, nor am I questioning your integrity.
    The fact that I don't recall the conversation is an indication of the importance I've put on the event.
    The 'ladder' post brought it to mind.
    How are you enjoying your new skiff.....do you find yourself polling much more than you did the 189?

Sorry Frank
    Actually it was Shallow Water that said it looked like there was some recaulking (two different materials in evidence) I did ask Frank when I was in S.C.. He said ,logically, it was possible but didn't know of any work performed.
    Let's be clear. Frank A. did not point any fingers, nor am I questioning your integrity.
    The fact that I don't recall the conversation is an indication of the importance I've put on the event.
    The 'ladder' post brought it to mind.
    How are you enjoying your new skiff.....do you find yourself polling much more than you did the 189?

If there was re caulking then the factory touched up the initial caulk job.Shallow Water Customs in my eyes from friends experiences is not very reputable. They have installed used trolling motor parts and sold them as new.
    I love my new skiff so far.Its allot slower 43 mph. It poles very nicely and is dead silent. Build quality is the best I have ever seen. I miss the rod lockers immensely though. I bought all one piece fly rods and can not break them down and load them in the truck so I worry about theft. The trailer system is awesome. I just need to back it up till the rear roller is in the water.The tires will be submerged below the lug nuts and it pops off and loads easily the same way in a true Dry launch. This happens when a MFG collaborates with a trailer company in sight of the best they can achieve instead of how cheap they can make it to the customer. People do care about their trailer.

To the Op. Look at this thread. There are a few ladder options .
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?105935-The-Finished-Product-!-2013-Egret-189&highlight=egret+ladder
    thanks guys for the ladder recommendations. i traveled down to the keys yesterday and pulled the boat out of the marina this morning but it looks like i have a fuel pump issue. the motor bogs down in gear past 1500 rpms. my mechanic was kind of enough to come out on a sunday and see if it was an easy fix and it seems to be a fuel pump issue. he ran is own gas and we had the same issue. he hooked up the pressure meter on the gas inflow and out flow from the fuel pump. not totally dead but something is off. when he physically pumped the fuel ball the engine would work ok and hence we think it is a fuel pump issue. it is a 1998 johnson 175 fast strike motor. he will work on it tomorrow but i am thinking maybe i just go ahead an repower. when the engine runs it is strong. not a good start to the vacation. the ladder project is on hold as i try to get the boat running.
    thanks guys for the ladder recommendations. i traveled down to the keys yesterday and pulled the boat out of the marina this morning but it looks like i have a fuel pump issue. the motor bogs down in gear past 1500 rpms. my mechanic was kind of enough to come out on a sunday and see if it was an easy fix and it seems to be a fuel pump issue. he ran is own gas and we had the same issue. he hooked up the pressure meter on the gas inflow and out flow from the fuel pump. not totally dead but something is off. when he physically pumped the fuel ball the engine would work ok and hence we think it is a fuel pump issue. it is a 1998 johnson 175 fast strike motor. he will work on it tomorrow but i am thinking maybe i just go ahead an repower. when the engine runs it is strong. not a good start to the vacation. the ladder project is on hold as i try to get the boat running.[/QUOTE

About a year ago I had an issue with bogging down at higher rpm's.
    Turned out the inner fuel lining was delaminating from the grey outer covering.The manufacturer was Sierra Silverado..I later read others had a similar experience.Sierra may have had a bad run.
    When the line was removed I cut it and pulled the outer casing off and could see areas where it had partially collapsed.
    In case you are wondering
    I use non ethanol and I believe that is what was used prior to my purchase.
    thanks guys for the ladder recommendations. i traveled down to the keys yesterday and pulled the boat out of the marina this morning but it looks like i have a fuel pump issue. the motor bogs down in gear past 1500 rpms. my mechanic was kind of enough to come out on a sunday and see if it was an easy fix and it seems to be a fuel pump issue. he ran is own gas and we had the same issue. he hooked up the pressure meter on the gas inflow and out flow from the fuel pump. not totally dead but something is off. when he physically pumped the fuel ball the engine would work ok and hence we think it is a fuel pump issue. it is a 1998 johnson 175 fast strike motor. he will work on it tomorrow but i am thinking maybe i just go ahead an repower. when the engine runs it is strong. not a good start to the vacation. the ladder project is on hold as i try to get the boat running.[/QUOTE

About a year ago I had an issue with bogging down at higher rpm's.
    Turned out the inner fuel lining was delaminating from the grey outer covering.The manufacturer was Sierra Silverado..I later read others had a similar experience.Sierra may have had a bad run.
    When the line was removed I cut it and pulled the outer casing off and could see areas where it had partially collapsed.
    In case you are wondering
    I use non ethanol and I believe that is what was used prior to my purchase.

When you indicate fuel lining what part are you referring to? Thanks for the help
    The fuel hose has multiple layers on top of each other with some sort of nylon reinforcement in the middle usually. the center layer can de-laminate from the outer layer and collapse restricting fuel flow. If your mechanic connected his tank to your motor directly and you have the same issue then its not the fuel line.
    This particular line is comprised of just two layers.outer grey plastic like layer and a thin clear inner liner.
    I have a pic on my phone.
    can't manage to attach it.
    if you care to see exactly what I'm talking about as well as the manufacturer's specs PM me your cell and I'll send you the picture
    This particular line is comprised of just two layers.outer grey plastic like layer and a thin clear inner liner.
    I have a pic on my phone.
    can't manage to attach it.
    if you care to see exactly what I'm talking about as well as the manufacturer's specs PM me your cell and I'll send you the picture

thanks. i will pm you
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I use a rope with loops tied in it hanging from the poling platform. If you and/or your passengers are reasonably fit it works just fine. If you and/or your passengers have need something more stable then mbowers solution should work or add a cleat in the back for a ladder.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand

Sorry Frank
    Actually it was Shallow Water that said it looked like there was some recaulking (two different materials in evidence)
    I asked a fiberglass guy about if it was normal to have that much mildew growing in the caulking around the console on my new boat compared to the none I had on the old boat and if it should be 5200. He said it was growing mildew because it's a cheap caulking so I should scrape it out and recaulk with something good that won't grow mildew but not 5200. I can totally see a boatbuilder just using whatever is cheap at Home Depot if they ran short on the good stuff and that would leave two different materials for the caulking..

You can see how bright white the old caulking still was on a 12 year old boat that hadn't been washed in two years:

006Medium-1.jpg

The console has been sturdy enough on both of my boats with up to three large men hanging on in somewhat rough seas. A 55 gallon bait drum probably weighs 500lbs if full and that's a serious wrecking ball on the deck. Whatever the load on it, a well secured console should probably break into pieces before the entire console itself comes loose.

I might be in the upper Keys in a couple of weeks lowerkeys so you can PM if you want to take a look at the TH marine ladder installed and maybe we can cross paths.
    mbowers wrote: »
    I asked a fiberglass guy about if it was normal to have that much mildew growing in the caulking around the console on my new boat compared to the none I had on the old boat and if it should be 5200. He said it was growing mildew because it's a cheap caulking so I should scrape it out and recaulk with something good that won't grow mildew but not 5200. I can totally see a boatbuilder just using whatever is cheap at Home Depot if they ran short on the good stuff and that would leave two different materials for the caulking..

You can see how bright white the old caulking still was on a 12 year old boat that hadn't been washed in two years:

006Medium-1.jpg

The console has been sturdy enough on both of my boats with up to three large men hanging on in somewhat rough seas. A 55 gallon bait drum probably weighs 500lbs if full and that's a serious wrecking ball on the deck. Whatever the load on it, a well secured console should probably break into pieces before the entire console itself comes loose.

I might be in the upper Keys in a couple of weeks lowerkeys so you can PM if you want to take a look at the TH marine ladder installed and maybe we can cross paths.

That console in the picture is from a Florida Boat. Guess what...It's got 5200 on the bottom. Once that cured, silicone sealant was installed on top of the 5200 to complete the finish at the bottom of the console. If you only had 5200 it would get mold on it. If you were to look on the inside the console you'll see that if you can see the selant it will be moldy. I doubt that Frank is using cheap materials. That not how he works. Beleave me there are alot of ways to cheapen an Egret. I can tell you silicone would not be the first place to start. Tight Lines... Pete
    thanks guys for the ladder recommendations. i traveled down to the keys yesterday and pulled the boat out of the marina this morning but it looks like i have a fuel pump issue. the motor bogs down in gear past 1500 rpms. my mechanic was kind of enough to come out on a sunday and see if it was an easy fix and it seems to be a fuel pump issue. he ran is own gas and we had the same issue. he hooked up the pressure meter on the gas inflow and out flow from the fuel pump. not totally dead but something is off. when he physically pumped the fuel ball the engine would work ok and hence we think it is a fuel pump issue. it is a 1998 johnson 175 fast strike motor. he will work on it tomorrow but i am thinking maybe i just go ahead an repower. when the engine runs it is strong. not a good start to the vacation. the ladder project is on hold as i try to get the boat running.

Thanks to Rubin at Action Marine on BPK we got the fast strike running strong. I ended up getting a rope ladder and securing it to the poling platform but from the side of the hull. see pic
    I was also able to get out with the dog and do some fishing. I caught a nice bull at 350ft off American Shoal. I hooked this fish after 5 minutes of trolling. He wouldn't fit in the cooler initially and we wanted to keep fishing so I had to do some modifications.
    I was also able to get out with the dog and do some fishing. I caught a nice bull at 350ft off American Shoal. I hooked this fish after 5 minutes of trolling. He wouldn't fit in the cooler initially and we wanted to keep fishing so I had to do some modifications.

he broke the gaff but I still was able to get him in the boat after a bit of back and forth
    Looks like a murder scene.

Nice fish!!!!
    A poling platform is stronger than a CC? Interesting...
    A poling platform is stronger than a CC? Interesting...

Think about it for a minute. You have a welded 1 /34 inch aluminum pipe structure screwed and thru bolted to the deck on a wide stance. That's designed to support a large man standing on top of it. I've never seen a swim ladder attached to a console on any boat have you?