Home General Freshwater Fishing

live bait??

Does anyone know where I can find some live baby carp, goldfish, shad, etc. in the Pensacola area? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• louief97louief97 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I believe using goldfish as bait is illegal. Unless you found it in the lake/canal and used it as bait. I live in Miami-Dade county and I'm 95% sure it's illegal here and in Broward not sure about Pensacola.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,176 Moderator
    The bait shops should have shiners or you can catch some bluegills.
    BTW , welcome to the forum.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • TVidrineTVidrine Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input. I just moved here and am still adjusting to the laws. Haven't been on the water yet because I don't wanna do anything stupid.
    TVidrine wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I just moved here and am still adjusting to the laws. Haven't been on the water yet because I don't wanna do anything stupid.

Just read up on the reg's and you'll be fine. What are you looking to catch ? Bass , catfish ?
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Welcome to the forum> go to wally world and get the freshwater booklet (tells you all the regulations/laws) and you can also pick up a
    license....

Read up as much as possible about your area> do a google map search and look at all the bodies of water in your
    area... also go to all the baitshop and hang out asking questions (buy a few things)...

and as far as livebait> shiners are top of the list but they are $$$$$$$$$ after awhile to keep buying... good
    idea to look or them and see if you can catch them somewhere...

Goldfish a no-no... people will have a fit if you ask them about baby carp to catch for bass fishing... the grass
    carp down here, I believe are protected by the seniors in all waterways :grin I'm joking but really they will have
    a fit if you ask about "Baby carp"...

Now Bluegill also make great bass bait and I caught some big bass on them.. "But" you have to catch the bluegills
    on a rod/reel in your waters to be able to use them for bait...

But if you truly want to become better at this game> learn to use lures!!! from plastic to hard lures... learning
    how to catch bass on a plastic worm will bring your game up to another level...

Don't get me wrong I love live bait and will use it over lures if given the choice... but to be able to cover ground
    with a lure... and not having to carry bucket/air pump make a world of different...

Plus its a HOO when you catch one on a lure>>> but buying lures will become a monkey on your back.. once you start you always
    want to keep buying more... LOL..
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Jettypark wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum> go to wally world and get the freshwater booklet (tells you all the regulations/laws) and you can also pick up a
    license....

Read up as much as possible about your area> do a google map search and look at all the bodies of water in your
    area... also go to all the baitshop and hang out asking questions (buy a few things)...

and as far as livebait> shiners are top of the list but they are $$$$$$$$$ after awhile to keep buying... good
    idea to look or them and see if you can catch them somewhere...

Goldfish a no-no... people will have a fit if you ask them about baby carp to catch for bass fishing... the grass
    carp down here, I believe are protected by the seniors in all waterways :grin I'm joking but really they will have
    a fit if you ask about "Baby carp"...

Now Bluegill also make great bass bait and I caught some big bass on them.. "But" you have to catch the bluegills
    on a rod/reel in your waters to be able to use them for bait...

But if you truly want to become better at this game> learn to use lures!!! from plastic to hard lures... learning
    how to catch bass on a plastic worm will bring your game up to another level...

Don't get me wrong I love live bait and will use it over lures if given the choice... but to be able to cover ground
    with a lure... and not having to carry bucket/air pump make a world of different...

Plus its a HOO when you catch one on a lure>>> but buying lures will become a monkey on your back.. once you start you always
    want to keep buying more... LOL..

Couldn't agree more. If I say it once I'll say it a thousand times, TOPWATER LURES CATCH THE BIGGEST BASS! Hands down bar none, you wont catch as many fish but I like to think I'm weeding out the little ones. Learn how to walk the dog or use a frog and your set for life.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 671 Officer
    Welcome to Florida. Live bait is certainly a good option. Years ago it was a lot more popular but now a days it has sort of a marginal image due to all the TV fishing shows with artificial only lures.
    Years ago the bait shops were really outstanding, mad toms, rainbow shiners, golden shiners, shad- all sorts of choices.
    Like most things in life there are a lot of nuances to fishing with live bait. Some guys used to carry tin snips and cut off half a pectoral shiner. The shiner would still live a long time but it was crippled and swam funny and that attracted bass. Generally all the biggest bass with caught with live bait. Bronze hook? Gold hook? Now red hooks. Straight or true turn?
    Floats are common but if a big bass runs into brush the float can snag. Some guys use balloons they blow up to float size.
    Before the days of fluorocarbon a magic marker could be used to put dots on the line to break up the solid image- camouflage it if you will.
    The mad toms (baby catfish) eat bass eggs in the spring. Prime time to use them as bait. The mother bass attacks to protect the eggs.
    Stop by as many bait stores as possible and talk to the locals in your area. They should get you on the right track.
    If you buy store bait don't toss unused minnows into the waters. You can freeze them and use for catfish. chum, etc.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Im to late to the party !!!:grin
    you guys covered that question
    pretty dam well ..great advice guys...:Agree with everyone !

Btw .... welcome !! An u have anymore ? Just ask ....

SEA YA !!!
    The live bait is for catfish. Really like setting the hook in a big ol slime slinger!! I do bass fish however. All my bass fishing is done with artificial. Back home no one uses live bait for bass....I really didn't know that was done. Thanks for all the info, it is well taken!
    TVidrine wrote: »
    The live bait is for catfish. Really like setting the hook in a big ol slime slinger!! I do bass fish however. All my bass fishing is done with artificial. Back home no one uses live bait for bass....I really didn't know that was done. Thanks for all the info, it is well taken!

REALLY ??? where the heck is back home?
    I think your a little backwards!(artificial aside)
    live bait should be used for bass an for cats
    I like a big ol piece of chicken liver !! Never
    fished for cats with live (not that you cant) :huh
    but why spend the $ ? Chicken liver cheap an they
    ♥ it !!!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    REALLY ??? where the heck is back home?
    I think your a little backwards!(artificial aside)
    live bait should be used for bass an for cats
    I like a big ol piece of chicken liver !! Never
    fished for cats with live (not that you cant) :huh
    but why spend the $ ? Chicken liver cheap an they
    ♥ it !!!
    Here in Kansas there is a group of dedicated limb line fisherman, they will use one pound goldfish/carp to fish for big cats. Fifty pound catfish are their targets.
    Louisiana. When fishing blue cat I will fish cut bait, liver, etc. My favorite is fresh cut skip jack. I much prefer fishing flatheads. They will eat cut/ dead bait but in my experience much prefer something alive....especially the big ones!
    :shrugWow ..had no idea you were targetin 50lb.+ cats.
    and I also didn't realize you are fishin in Kansas
    An Louisiana never been too either state so I dont know
    how you fish em up there. Just sayin what works for me
    in Florida ...but if i was targetin cats of that size i guess
    live bait would be an option !!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Well, to get further off topic, I catch Catfish on Zoom Toads on a regular basis. Not while I'm in Florida, at least not that I can remember. In Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas it happens a lot. They come up and crush it on the surface like a Bass.
    The flatheads and bigger blues like it live. ANYTHING live. They are basically freshwater goliath grouper.

I've seen the hauls of flatheads the limb line guys can rack up. They buy "stocker" 3-4" bluegill to use as live bait and get them from a hatchery they told me. Small bullheads are also good I hear.
  • Last ChanceLast Chance Posts: 116 Officer
    Capt Louie like always has it right. Some up in the panhandle are catching a lot of big flatheads on rod and reel. I believe it is September when they are even having a tournament for the cats. I never thought catfishing would have ever got to be a sport like it is. When I started guiding on Santee-Cooper it was all Striper or Largemouth. It was about 1980 when catfishing really took off and that turned into what I did year around. When you could catch boxes of 250 to 300lbs a day and it was mostly fish weighing 15 to 20 with some 30 to 40 lbers in the mix. That was back in the good days. Like everyone I thought it would last forever like that but we fished the numbers down when more fishermen started fishing for them. For you younger guys, take care of your fishery don't do like us old guys did killing big fish just to show off.