Home Tropics

650lbs Bluefin caught off Cat Cay this weekend!

CaptainCCaptainC Posts: 145 Officer
"A HUGE bluefin tuna caught off Cat Cay this week has brought back memories of the golden era of Ernest Hemingway and Rybovich boats which made the waters around Bimini so popular for big game fishing.

#There had been fears that “Tuna Alley” had lost its reputation for good with the fish disappearing for several years but a 650lbs specimen landed on Tuesday suggests they may have returned. Tyler Albury landed the fish with a group of friends.

#The world record for a bluefin tuna is a monstrous 1,460lbs, caught off Nova Scotia 35 years ago. While Hemingway pioneered big game fishing in Bimini during the 1940s, the custom-built Rybovich boats – “the Stradivarius of sportfishing boats” according to Fortune magazine – added to the glamour."

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2014/jun/13/one-didnt-get-away/

Replies

• Spear'em!Spear'em! Posts: 177 Officer
    Nice to see one caught ever now and then. I've seen a few caught threw out the years in the Bimini.
    Was it caught by the guys in the classic Rybovich that have been fishing them for as long as I can remember? I believe the boat is based out Cat Cay but would pick up charters in Bimini.
    Its an amazing sight to see one of these fish at the docks in person.
    The other boat that targeted them I believe was called the "Snow Goose". It was a custom sport fish I think only left the docks at the Blue Waters when it was prime BF conditions. I always loved the lines of this sport fish and wondered what it be like to look for BF from the tallest tuna tower I've ever seen.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,736 Captain
    Very cool to see. I know there was a BFT tournament at Cat Cay a couple weeks ago. Don't know if any fish were caught but, for tradition alone, I'm glad to see them hold the tournament.
  • Stroker AceStroker Ace Posts: 335 Deckhand
    local Viking the freebie caught one there too, about the same size
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Very cool to see. I know there was a BFT tournament at Cat Cay a couple weeks ago. Don't know if any fish were caught but, for tradition alone, I'm glad to see them hold the tournament.

i was there during the tournament and was listening to the chatter on the VHF. i dont believe any where caught, but it was great to see the sporties moving up and down at the edge of the bank looking for them. ray rosher of the miss britt was kite fishing for them. interesting.

• Bimini DreamBimini Dream Posts: 407 Deckhand
    These photos were taken by Neil Watson at Cay Cay
    A Part Of Paradise
    http://onetoughkitty.com