The Supreme Court on Monday deemed “straw” purchases of guns illegal

This thread section will be gone soon...:banghead

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/209468-supreme-court-rejects-straw-gun-buys#ixzz34ofQjA5u

The Supreme Court on Monday deemed “straw” purchases of guns illegal, delivering a huge win to advocates of stricter gun controls.

In a 5-4 decision, the court concluded that one legal gun owner may not acquire a firearm on behalf of another — a practice known as "straw" purchasing.

The case, known as Abramski v. United States, centered on a former police officer who sought to buy a Glock 19 handgun for his uncle. Though both men were allowed to own guns, Bruce Abramski claimed on forms that he was the “actual transferee/buyer” of the weapon and was later convicted of making false statements.

Abramski argued that federal gun law — intended to keep guns out of the wrong hands — did not apply to his transaction.

The court, though split down ideological lines, disagreed.

“No piece of information is more important under federal firearms law than the identity of a gun’s purchaser — the person who acquires a gun as a result of a transaction with a licensed dealer,” Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the majority.

Justices Anthony Kennedy, Rothe Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor joined in the decision.

Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the dissent, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito.

Read more: http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/209468-supreme-court-rejects-straw-gun-buys#ixzz34ojZb3jy
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Recent shootings and Obama getting involved AGAIN!! plus you have the stats of lies they are posting everywhere about school
    shooting..... but the battle isn't over yet... :wink... things can always change and States do have a way of flipping
    off the SC..

Sorry> but you do realize that this thread will be moved...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • mdregermdreger Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    This may not be accurate, but haven't legitimate straw purchases been illegal for a long time? A private sale is not a straw purchase.
    A straw purchase involves buying a weapon with the explicit purpose of selling/giving it to someone who is unable or unwilling to acquire it, convicted felon comes to mind.
    Although I believe guns that are gifts are also able to be purchased, since the end user is typically deemed the one who bought it.
    I had to deal with a similar situation a couple years ago when my father purchased my first handgun since I was underage (18 at the time, so I could own one, but not purchase on my own..:huh). He was the purchaser and gifted it to me.
    I could be talking out the rear, but this is how I understand it.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    They actually got him for lying on the form, that article is pretty pathetic, but from what I read on another site about the case, it still should have been overturned, the person he gifted it to was legal to purchase a firearm.