Bryan finally gets his permit and manages to.....

Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
Bryan finally gets his permit and also manages to accomplish what few anglers can ever aspire to duplicate. After landing one, we found another spot that was sure to hold some fish. He casted to his permit haunt and found he got bit and what he thought was bottom was really something huge and the line started screaming off the drag. But high hopes of a 40 pounder were dashed after 5 mins when he found the permit had morphed into a huge **** turtle. :rotflmao. See the video link and the photos of his fish below..

BTW for all the tree huggers and marine police......... we had no intention of catching any turtles but Bryan managed to get a "Turtle Slam" anyway and we were able to release the turtle totally unharmed. The only reason we wanted to reel it in is to make sure we got the hook out and he did not have line trailing around. So what is a Turtle Slam? A permit, A turtle and Jump 2 Tarpon. That is our definition anyway.

Over two days of permit fishing I caught two and Bryan hooked two and caught one. We saw quite a few as well and we found lots of small Tarpon (as well as one nice Permit I got) at Russo's favorite spot.

3632c8ba-d9ff-4572-8149-d6b982a51988_zpsa193fcb5.jpg

http://s68.photobucket.com/user/EgretandLab/media/Bryans%20Permit/20140614_144456_zpsc94a6a3d.mp4.html

permit1_zpsd9c3e9a2.jpg

photo_zpsb9c45cb9.jpg

permit4_zps0927d436.jpg

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,376 Officer
    Nice fish!
    Well done!
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    Very nice work. Permit are my white whale. It's unbelievable how snake bit I am with them. Hundreds of tarpon, a good number of bonefish...zero permit. I've even tried them on the wrecks after getting frustrated on the flats and have a collection of stories where that hasn't worked out either.

Glen be sure to include the waypints to those permit spots on your new GPS chip. :grin
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Nice going guys! I wish I could have joined you but I am still in Hallandale dealing with issues and cannot get back until Thursday 19th.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    Wish I could get down there. I am tied up for the next 3 weeks. Great catch.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Awesome fish! I'm heading out to S B Bay to look for some this morning. I am happy to see that a permit can be caught on an Egret. What size hull is that boat? I am considering the purchase of an Egret and the only negative thing I keep reading about them is the hull slap and the fact that they aren't so easy to poll.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Awesome fish! I'm heading out to S B Bay to look for some this morning. I am happy to see that a permit can be caught on an Egret. What size hull is that boat? I am considering the purchase of an Egret and the only negative thing I keep reading about them is the hull slap and the fact that they aren't so easy to poll.

It's easier than what you have now. When 10 years older than you I would pole it all day.:wink