Mission Accomplished. SnakeHead caught, and killed.

Left work a little early Friday, and hit up some drainage canals in Coral Springs (TurtleRun). Caught this nasty **** on a watermelon red Zoom Frog
All the stories that i read came to fruition.
Hit like cobra, fought like a mther !@#$er

255732_10150199420451315_586086314_7450426_4717730_n.jpg
252572_10150199411001315_586086314_7450337_333319_n.jpg
Those Converse are 12 inches bty
249456_10150199412616315_586086314_7450359_1551507_n.jpg
El Pescador formerly known as "El-Pescador"
Original FS member since before Al Gore invented the internet.
Previous post count 14,125,253
Oh and "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
Doug Larson"
fspicbanner-1-1.jpg

Replies

• BigRed03BigRed03 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    :like:
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I live on a canal west of turtle run (closer to sawgrass & coral ridge). Never saw one behind my house until yesterday. What's the deal with these things? Is it worth killing them, or is it pointless?
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    you should've eaten it. I hear it's good for your libido.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • El PescadorEl Pescador Posts: 186 Officer
    you should've eaten it. I hear it's good for your libido.

How the.. what the. How did you find out..... nevermind.
    I live on a canal west of turtle run (closer to sawgrass & coral ridge). Never saw one behind my house until yesterday. What's the deal with these things? Is it worth killing them, or is it pointless?

Worth the fight, and worth killing, they will destroy just about any lure you throw at them.
    Oh and "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    HOLY SH**

Did he seriously bend that hook or is that what it took to pull it out of his mouth?

Either way... I'm staying clear.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    seriously bent. but they were eagle claw's. these fish are NASTY MOTHERS man
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    How the.. what the. How did you find out..... nevermind.

Worth the fight, and worth killing, they will destroy just about any lure you throw at them.

lmao!
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,543 Captain
    I've tangled with them, but never landed one !!! Good work !!!
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Very cool!
    Don't eat anything HA tells you to...
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 304 Deckhand
    It is infested out there, we spent the day a few weekends ago fishing for them and caught 8 between 4 guys with a lot of blow ups.
  • Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    Thats a nice snakehead. I've been catching some big ones on Culprit and Tuscaroran worms lately
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    anybody know why I cannot see certain pictures?
    P1000022_2.jpg
    Check your firewall
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
  • mako42mako42 Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Are they edible? Has anybody eaten one?
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I haven't tried, but I've heard they're great eating. I'd never eat anything out of the canal system though personally.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    My neighbor, who fishes a lot, came by the other day and said "dude, next time you drag in a snake head, eat that sucker. They are fantastic, butter and frying pan". Problem is, they are not that easy to catch. I've caught exactly one in 4 years, they are pretty wary. For some reason I'm not seeing many this year, and I have not seen a single pair in the back yard with their brood between them.
  • Captain Shane ProcellCaptain Shane Procell Posts: 371 Officer
    Yes I have eaten many snake heads. They are delicious! They are also very easy to catch. Any top water frog will get smashed. I like a stout stick, 30-65# braid, heavy 7/0 hook to hunt for em.
  • feesh sumbeeshfeesh sumbeesh Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Caught one about 2 1/2 ft. out of the Pompano canal off powerline rd. And cypress bend/palm aire canal, on a weedless zoom rubber frog also! Had 20lb power pro, 30lb fluorocarbon leader. It's like the new " fresh water redfish" or the northern pike of Florida. Killed it though since its the law. However after reading so much b.s. and over hype about this proclaimed monster fish, I don't see them going anywhere, just laying right along with bass of all sizes sharing the same shoreline, like every other animal in the environment and nature. I have yet to find a fish in a snakeheads stomach.
  • floridanickfloridanick Posts: 174 Officer
    Been catching them for years in springs 1308806328019.jpg
  • Have KnotsHave Knots Posts: 229 Officer
    Hey EL, He ate your shoelaces! **** the tackle. I used to live down there, never seen that! New catch & kill ? I live west central now. Kill them ba$$$a%5ts before they catch that bus!
  • 4seall4seall Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    They're all over the place in Coral Springs/Tamarac canal system. I want to get one on a fly rod next time.
  • Have KnotsHave Knots Posts: 229 Officer
    4seall wrote: »
    They're all over the place in Coral Springs/Tamarac canal system. I want to get one on a fly rod next time.

When you drill one or two, post some dead ones.
  • DunkDunk Posts: 107 Officer
    Where have you guy's been?? Even in NJ they are talking about how the FL DNR/Marine Police or whatever is down there has no limit on them.. They want them KILLED.. Take as many as you want............and They are great eating??
    Marine Surveyor
  • bassndolphinbassndolphin Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Here's the 12lb. line class record. Game and Fish guy came to my house and collected the fish. It was 37.5" and weighed 11.4 / 11.5 lbs. on two electronic scales. After two days on ice, G&F weighed it officially at 10.94lbs. and 36.5". They're nasty... G&F said; "KILL them for sure, and yes they are good eating"... not for me thanks!
    http://DSC01887.jpg
    I can do all things through Christ.
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    4seall wrote: »

i live on a canal in coral springs and have never seen one in my life.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • bassndolphinbassndolphin Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    This fish was caught in Coral Springs... along with a bunch of others. They hang out in the shallows near shore, and have very good vision. If you are not looking for them, they'll probably see you first, and slide down to deeper water. If they see you, they'll spook fast, but if they don't, they'll hit almost anything that moves. I catch most of them swimming a lizard on top, but frogs, etc. work too. I've even caught a couple on spinnerbaits.
    I can do all things through Christ.
  • CODYofDFPCODYofDFP Posts: 37 Deckhand
    yeah ive got some spots out there. My best is off of hillsboro. There awsome to catch but i still kill'em all[IMG]http://[/img]fwater15.jpg