Are Kid's Catches Allowed to be Kept as Part of the Bag Limits?

will's dadwill's dad Posts: 102 Deckhand
I fish regularly with my 14 year old son and some of his friends, so my question is: Can they keep a fish as juniors without a saltwater fishing licence?

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,034 Officer
    yes
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Ditto. No license needed until 16, but you can get them a lifetime license whenever, and they will never have to worry about it.
  • fishbitfishbit Posts: 604 Officer
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    Ditto. No license needed until 16, but you can get them a lifetime license whenever, and they will never have to worry about it.

Does he/she get to keep their own limit or does the limit require a license? ie If my son (12) and I are out fishing, we'd be able to keep 2 limits of whatever species with only one license?
    Nature goes on her way, and all that to us seems an exception is really according to order.
    (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    fishbit wrote: »
    Does he/she get to keep their own limit or does the limit require a license? ie If my son (12) and I are out fishing, we'd be able to keep 2 limits of whatever species with only one license?

Yes, what they catch under 16 is their catch. No problem, you can bring home 2 redfish or 10 snappers (state water, south, It would be 4 reds in PH)
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    I can only speak for Federal Waters, yes they are allowed a bag limit.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • will's dadwill's dad Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Thank you!
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    will's dad wrote: »
    Thank you!

Tell Will to givem heck!
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement