Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Stripping Basket

CentralJoshCentralJosh MemberCentral FLPosts: 59 Deckhand
Where do you buy or look for online for a stripping basket for on a boat, the only ones I can find seem to be for river fishing, also for a casting platform? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 737 Officer
    Get a folding laundry basket at Walmart $4.95. Customize to your liking. Almost the same as the Charlies stripping basket, at 1/4 price.
    https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/
  • CentralJoshCentralJosh Member Central FLPosts: 59 Deckhand
    I never thought about that one lol, ice just seen a few solid ones that makes sense though! Thank you
  • idlerickidlerick Senior Member Posts: 247 Deckhand
    That's the kind I use too - mesh, wire frames, twists and folds up like a kids' toy. About $5.
    Problem is, if it's windy enough to need it, it's windy enough to blow it over, so I stuck some Velcro hook matl on the bottom and it will grip my carpet and stay in place. Without carpet or a small mat you'll need to weight it.
    :)
  • E-typeE-type Senior Member Punta Gorda (Pirate Harbor)Posts: 246 Officer
    I use a tall plastic waste basket. I cut a few pieces of plywood to add weight for the bottom, makes it more stable and keeps the wind from knocking it over. You can stand your rod in it with the line. If you decide to run somewhere else you can leave the rod in the basket without having to reel up--of course you have to lot it next to you to keep it from blowing over. I even knocked it overboard one time and the heavy bottom kept it from getting swamped and the whole outfit from sinking out or sight. It doesn't take up as much square footage as the foldable type. I'm lucky, it fits in my forward compartment, just barely.
  • E-typeE-type Senior Member Punta Gorda (Pirate Harbor)Posts: 246 Officer
    Another option is a foldable basket that hooked to your belt and wraps around your leg. It works pretty well and takes up no room. Better for a boat than wading because it hangs too low when you are in water deeper than 18". Here is a link to it http://www.flyfishbasket.com/index.html
  • ckfrankckfrank Member Cedar KeyPosts: 62 Greenhorn
    Take a look at www.sealevelflyfish.com they about everything. Not cheap though.
  • redheadredhead Senior Member TampaPosts: 120 Officer
    I use a plastic dish wash pan with a belt through the side. Picked up everything at walmart for about $7
    Awesome ideas guys thank you!!
  • Dirty_South_BTDirty_South_BT Member Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Where do you buy or look for online for a stripping basket for on a boat, the only ones I can find seem to be for river fishing, also for a casting platform? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Spend the money and buy a Strip and Feed Research bucket. It is worth every penny. Most durable bucket I have ever seen, much better than the Pro-Trim which was the gold standard for years.

I too had a collapsable bucket but I got so fed up with it. If there is any kind of significant wind (which is when you really need a bucket), the collapse basket will either 1) blow off the boat or 2) blow over and slump down. Sure they are cheap, but you get what you pay for. If the wind is 10 or less there really isn't much need for a bucket IMO.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Senior Member Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Really isn't cool that there aren't more options out there. 80 bucks for a piece of injection molded plastic from China is criminal. 70 bucks for a couple chunks of neoprene glued together in California is even worse. I did look into it, my Father was the VP of a plastics company in Washington state. 30k for the mold, and the baskets would cost pennies after that. A basket is a necessity if you're standing in slop, which is typically the case in my area. From a boat, I don't really see the point.
    I don't understand why they're so much like you said when I looked online for some.
  • shanksmareshanksmare Junior Member Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    For years I used a homemade stripping basket similar to that used by Pmoconnor89. It has served me well and I see no need for any upgrades any time soon. However if you are fishing where there is some surf (like the outer beaches of Cape Cod where I used mine a lot) I would suggest that you replace the web belt and quick release buckle with a simple bungee chord. Why? If an errant wave fills your bucket with water you will discover that quick release buckles don't release very quickly or easily when there is 15 or 20 pounds of water in the bucket. It is better to be wearing the basket around your ankles than to have the weight of the water in the basket cause you to lose your balance and fall. I've seen it happen on more than one ocassion.