Home General Hunting

How important do you think camo pattern is to successful hunt?

kci-miakci-mia Posts: 265 Deckhand
I was wondering about this today... how important do you think camo pattern/color is to successful hunt?

Does the camo and it's pattern/color important when hunting?

I normally go hunting wearing dark solid earth tone color clothes (dark green, brown, etc.) and maybe wear my old Army M-65 field jacket in woodland camo pattern over the shirt when cool. I never wore camo pants, shirt, hat, etc. because I never felt comfortable wearing such clothes and never saw the need for them.

What do you think?

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Camo is the most overrated aspect of hunting. Wind and being still are the 2 biggest tricks. I am the most mismatched person you will ever see. last year opening day of M/L I had 4 deer in front of me with the wind in my face. I was in jeans, a green t-shirt, an orange vest flappin in the breeze and no face mask. Deer were at ten yards or less the entire time for over an hour
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    When it comes to deer and hogs, what allen said is dead on. Be still, don't stink, and watch the wind.

With turkeys and ducks, as long as you don't stick out like a sore pecker and can be still, youll be fine.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Part of camo is your surroundings. I sat climbed a tree on a hill top last year and sat in my raingear which is mossy oak shadow grass, and got busted easily by every turkey that tried to come up the hill from either side. Why, because I was in a magnolia with dark grey bark and dark green leaves wearing camo with bright yellow stripes across it and the birds were coming up hill looking up so they all saw me sticking out like a sore thumb. I'd have been better off wearing solid grey, drab green etc... because the tone is more similar to the surroundings than that shadow grass was. I can also remember a few years ago sitting on the ground against a blown over tree wearing brown camo and an orange vest and having 4 does/yearlings walking up spitting distance before they got nervous. At eye level they knew I wasn't supposed to be there and altered their path to go around me but never knew exactly what I was till they got all the way around me and into my wind.
    Most camo is to catch the hunter's eye. Walk 30-40 yards away and most of it looks brown, grey, green, etc...
    I do agree with Allen that it is way over rated. Match your surroundings as well as you can but no way am I going out and buying new gear every time one manufacturer or the other comes out with a new pattern.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,342 Admiral
    Camo sells the hunter, not necessary to kill game though.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• SNATCHSNATCH Posts: 136 Officer
    I think far more game has been taken by bare skinned men and men in overalls then with purdy camo on.
    However, confidence is everything. I personally wear leafy wear in all situations and sometimes wear a gillie suit when turkey hunting.
    This lets me get away with more.
    I am not big on mossy oak vs realtree kind of stuff cause you can file that with the chevy vs ford.
  • WhiteliarWhiteliar Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Come on guys camo is very importand when your sponsors say it is!
  • SNATCHSNATCH Posts: 136 Officer
    ducknfish wrote: »
    Part of camo is your surroundings. I sat climbed a tree on a hill top last year and sat in my raingear which is mossy oak shadow grass, and got busted easily by every turkey that tried to come up the hill from either side. Why, because I was in a magnolia with dark grey bark and dark green leaves wearing camo with bright yellow stripes across it and the birds were coming up hill looking up so they all saw me sticking out like a sore thumb. I'd have been better off wearing solid grey, drab green etc... because the tone is more similar to the surroundings than that shadow grass was.

I am not sure of your exact situation but backdrop is EVERYTHING in camo.
    if them turkeys are comming up a hill and looking right in that tree without looking up that is something they do all the time and now there is this blob there.
    that is like someone putting a cardboard box in your driveway.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,084 Moderator
    I don't worry much about camo and I think my record is pretty good. Having something to break up your outline is most important in many situations but even that can be done without camo. I don't even think color is that important as long as they're natural colors you're using.
    I had an 8pt standing right under me last year looking right at me. I had no cover around me at all but I was about 40ft up the tree. He watched me for a bit but I remained still and he moved on. I also had a few turkeys last year sneak around the corner on me and were about 50 yards out with me standing in the wide open. One was a Tom I killed the next day when he did the same thing but from the opposite side. This time he was in range and I was able to slowly get my gun up and take him. Sure I was in full camo head to toe but I was also wide open from the knees up.

So, basically, buy what's comfortable and just make sure it has natural tones to it.
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    I always wear camo but don't really care which pattern it is. Just something with tan, not too dark. Primary reason is so it's not too freakin hot. I have a lot of realtree brown. I usually buy whatever is tan and cheap.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Not that camo doesnt help, but my Grandpa killed many a deer in a plaid shirt and wool pants.

Wind direction, sudden movements, and noise matter more......besides, you cover all that camo with an orange vest.
  • gamehunter1023gamehunter1023 Posts: 467 Officer
    I dont think the pattern mtters to much as to deer hunting but turkey i think your patterns help out. Me personaly i where camo because i feel like im hunting then, i know that's weird but so am i.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I'm with the majority. For deer, being still, having back cover and not skylining yourself are far more important than the latest and greatest camo pattern.

That being said, I did buy a used ASAT 3D suit because I thought it looks cool. Yeah, I'm a sucker.

Turkeys however are a bird of a different color. You better have all skin covered and stay really still. And even then I can't kill them consistently! Ain't that right Ray??
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    flydown wrote: »

Turkeys however are a bird of a different color. You better have all skin covered and stay really still. And even then I can't kill them consistently! Ain't that right Ray??
    No comment
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    That's wrong ray lol
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    Is it necessary? No. Does it help? Absolutely. (am I going crazy or did we discuss this already within the past few days?) I dont like camo patterns that are dark or have big solid blotches of color. This comes from experience and has nothing to do with advertising. Too many times I've watched my ole buddy andrew slip through the woods in mossy oak (the real dark pattern) and it looks like hes wearing a black suit and it definitely stands out in my eyes. His brother mike wears lighter patterns like mine and its harder MUCH harder to pick him up slipping through the woods even when they are walking side by side. I really love the Max1 pattern because of its light colors and the abundance of green in it. If you dont think a good camo pattern allows you to get away with more movement your only kidding yourself.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    Somedays I feel like mixing it up with a team real tree top and a mossy oak bottom. Then maybe a palmettoflage neckerchief and maybe a treebark cap.That confuses the living **** out of them and makes for easy shots.
    Skunk Ape wrote: »
    Somedays I feel like mixing it up with a team real tree top and a mossy oak bottom. Then maybe a palmettoflage neckerchief and maybe a treebark cap.That confuses the living **** out of them and makes for easy shots.

:rotflmao
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    this time of year, i prefer to hunt naked,but I wrap my bojangles in camo linen...
  • AndrewlonghiAndrewlonghi Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I like my black suit pattern....think mossy oak pattern lead the way last year
    :whacky
    Team public land
    I like my black suit pattern....think mossy oak pattern lead the way last year
    :whacky

Cmon now, I let deer walk, you shot them all out of spite because they were staring at you.
  • FlaDawgFlaDawg Posts: 137 Officer
    Sit'n in blind or tree stand dont see where it help's...Like everybody else movement and wind are your enemy...Stalk'n yes i see where it do's help...Me,I only wear it cause i look GoooD in it...Ha!...
    I hunt and fish....Therefore,...I Lie...
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    I have friends who refuse to buy it or wear it to prove how useless it actually is. That's for deer hunting though,I wear very little but usually wear jeans and dark t-shirt.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I agree about Mossy Oak. It is way too dark. I have a friend who refuses to wear anything else, and only sits on the ground. I can spot him a mile away

I think the problems with todays camo patterns is they are designed to catch the hunters wallet. They make a fancy print on them to look like a tree limb. But when you back off and look at it, your eyes blend it together, and it just appears to look like a blob. Very few camo patterns are actually designed to make the eyes blend it into the surrounding(for lack of a better term)
    ASAT camo is one of them that does , and my favorite is the military digital camo

For me, I like the Dickie's carpenter work jeans in olive drab. You get them at Wal Mart and they will absolutely last forever.

Bow season,I wear shorts, a t-shirt and a leafy suit. Not so much for the camo, but to try to stay cool

There was a study a few years back where they tested many of the popular patterns in color and black & white. A dude wearing a Hawaiian print shirt blended in the best in the B&W
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    Its very important............................to the manufaturer. BwaaaaHaaaaaa.

kci-mia wrote: »
    I was wondering about this today... how important do you think camo pattern/color is to successful hunt?

Does the camo and it's pattern/color important when hunting?

I normally go hunting wearing dark solid earth tone color clothes (dark green, brown, etc.) and maybe wear my old Army M-65 field jacket in woodland camo pattern over the shirt when cool. I never wore camo pants, shirt, hat, etc. because I never felt comfortable wearing such clothes and never saw the need for them.

What do you think?
  • CptMikeCptMike Posts: 286 Officer
    Is it necessary? No. Does it help? Absolutely. If you dont think a good camo pattern allows you to get away with more movement your only kidding yourself.

If you understand light and shadows and how to use them to your advantage......you can hunt in a white shirt.2356479c.jpg
  • njguyinflanjguyinfla Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Skunk Ape wrote: »

That is my camo pattern of choice.It doesnt look pretty but I believe it is very effective.