Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Costa Rica

FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
Been a few years since I've been to CR. Wonder if anyone on here has had some good trips in the past year.

September is usually a great time to catch big ol' tarpon on the Caribbean side. I meant to go down to some new lodge in Manzanillo but never got round to it. Had a memorable trip to Silver King Lodge up on the Rio Colorado some years back.

Daydreaming...
Jeff Weakley

Replies

• BucYouUp68BucYouUp68 Posts: 1,183 Officer
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

BucYouUp68................OUT

5831474064_7809a5b1b4_o.jpg
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    That's a beautiful place, Zancudo. Prime spot on the Golfo Dulce.

Buc, if you've been recently, I'd love to have a photo or two and/or a fishing report...

Might send it to me directly at [email protected]. We're talking over some ideas for possible coverage in the mag. Stay tuned!
    Jeff Weakley
  • BucYouUp68BucYouUp68 Posts: 1,183 Officer
    I have not been there recently, but they are friends of mine. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will be sure to forward this on to them.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

BucYouUp68................OUT

5831474064_7809a5b1b4_o.jpg
  • Big BertBig Bert Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Been there the last two years.. Great fishing out of Los Suenons in January 2011. Got hooked up big time by a forum member.
    100_1052.jpg

163213_1424445586126_1682355896_801021_1016655_n.jpg

100_1041.jpg
  • flatscrazyflatscrazy Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Heading to Zancudo Lodge with a Large group for a week in January. Will report on return"
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    FSJeff wrote: »
    Been a few years since I've been to CR.

They have really improved the roads... now your car can actually get out of the potholes... :grin
    I swear I bruised a kidney driving from Dominical to Quepos some years back. We had a tiny lil rental Suzuki with the suspension of a Matchbox car.
    Jeff Weakley
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    Big Bert, I would love to have the info if you can pass it along. I have a trip to Los Suenos coming up and would like to take a trip or two out to the deep blue. You can email or respond to the thread if you like. If anyone else has info they can pass along please fee; free to post it up.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,355 Admiral
    Bluebird wrote: »
    Big Bert, I would love to have the info if you can pass it along. I have a trip to Los Suenos coming up and would like to take a trip or two out to the deep blue. You can email or respond to the thread if you like. If anyone else has info they can pass along please fee; free to post it up.

That makes 2 of us. If you know of a good place to stay and a decent charter. I'm looking at going just after x-mass
  • NBIJOHNNBIJOHN Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Been fishing Costa Rica each winter for the last 7 years. Fishing our of Pureto Jimenez on Golfo Dulce. Check out Tropicfins Adventures. Cory's a great fisherman. Loves to go after big roosters. Last winter had 1 85 lbs and second 80 lbs. Also lots of sails, snapper, grouper and a small bluemarlin. Cory will structure your visit to do whatever you want fishing wise. Also other things to do, kayaking, zipline, birding, surfing, etc. I'll post pictures as soon as I get settled back here in Florida.
  • edkedk Posts: 38 Deckhand
    I drove from Quepos to Dominical 3 years ago and they had almost completed paving the road all the way. I'm sure it's a lot better now. The road south from Dominical was one of the smoothest I have driven on in Costa Rica. I am planning on driving south from San Jose to the Golfito area in November. Anyone have any recommendations as to what to see or do on that route?

Ed
    Been going to Golfito area, specifically Puerto Jiimenez across the golf from Golfito, for the last 7 winters. Great fishing. Pictures from last years trip below.

DSCF12871.jpg

DSCF13021.jpg

DSCF12871.jpg

Besides fishing plan to get a naturalist guide and take a hiking bird tour. It is amazing the variety of birds, animals and reptiles in this area.
    Messed up on photos. Same photo twice. This is the one I wanted to post.

DSCF1026.jpg
    Pretty marlin! But, that rooster might be even more impressive. Gotta be pushing 100 pounds. You catch it on a blue runner or bonito behind that downrigger?

In my travels to that region (mostly pre-digital camera) it seemed there was a decline in the roosterfish populations; no one was quite sure why.

What are you guys seeing or hearing nowadays? The fishery coming back? Thanks for the killer pics~!
    Jeff Weakley
    Roosters were caught on Moonfish. I think that Moonfish might also be called Lookdowns. Slow trolled baits bridled off downrigger around rocks of Matapalo. We have fished there a number of times and these were the biggest roosters ever. Just hit the tide right. Fortunate to get the fish on a 50 2 speed. Other guides made fun of the tackle, but I tell you a rooster this big is not over powered by a 50. Cory at Tropicfins Adventures loves to hunt Roosters and he knows how to find them. He'd rather go after Roosters then sails. I have had good fishing there and the people work hard to make a good catch.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,060 Captain
    We fished last October out of Quepos with Quepos Fish Adventure and had a ball catching some very nice mahi and sails.Then stayed in Los Suenos and split a charter on Costa Rica Dreams on a very rough day which resulted in a huge 10.5 foot 500 pound blue marlin, some sails and a few mahi. Great time and are heading back late January for some TUNA!!!
  • Backcountry FixBackcountry Fix Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Took a flight into Liberia in May of last year and went out of Tamarindo with a local outfit Papagayo Sportfishing. They see a good black marlin bite in May and we had marlin in the baits all three days. Caught two nice blacks to 400 and a 300lb blue along with the sails.
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Big Bert...awesome pics and catches!
  • fichinthesouthfichinthesouth Posts: 54 Deckhand
    man i wanna catch me a big rooster!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't mess with my truck!!