Home Off Topic

Thinking of "Cutting the Cord"

2»

Replies

• jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Ya its not the fastest one. But I can legally download blue ray movies in an hour or two usually

When the four of us are on it the 10mb used to get bogged down so we had to upgrade to the 30.

I'm all for cutting our cable bill in half but the wife doesn't want to give up the DVR.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,374 Admiral
    I need to pull the plug also. The constant price increases every month are getting on my nerves. It is time to try something different. That includes internet and home phone too.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,942 AG
    Cable can be cut, but the internet racket is tougher. Cable or DSL, they are out to screw you.

The one option that is somewhat viable is use your smartphone as a hotspot. But, you wont get much bandwith to download anything at all. Streaming would be sketchy but watchable
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,374 Admiral
    It's all a racket, they get you hooked and then bury the barb.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman wrote: »
    It's all a racket, they get you hooked and then bury the barb.

yep
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    You can cut the cord --- with the help of www.couchtuner.eu and www.watch32.com, along with Roku and Netflix.

However, serious nfl/college football fans don't have an "easy enough" replacement for cable. Until something comes along that offers me quality viewing of all the football games - you won't catch me "cutting the cord" from Sept to Feb.
    What is your definition of quality?
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • ThreeSheetsThreeSheets Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Basic cable is included in our HOA fees. So I will always have access to that. We would keep Comcast for the internet. Looking at a Roku or the new Amazon Fire TV. Both get pretty good reviews. I am leaning Amazon.

Besides sports, we watch just a handful of shows. The $175 I pay per month to Comcast drives me nuts, although that includes internet and phone as well.

I have researched over the air HD and will add that as well for local stuff.
    What is your definition of quality?

Being able to sit down at game time - quickly tune into the game with little effort, watch it in HD on my big screen. Flip between other games during commercials, etc...

Not something that is possible tuning in using a website on Justin.TV, franksfrontrow, etc..
    No, it's not

But it's free
    So are Obama phones...

Your point?
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,796 AG
    I'm staying connected.
    Vote for the other candidate
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    So are Obama phones...

It's funny how obama phones have been around longer than obama has been president....just sayin'
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Yes, and its the basic internet. 19.99 for 6 months then 29.99 after that. I think you can threaten to cancel and they will giver you another 6 months. I did that once before

but you can get about the same channels with an anyenna for a one time fee, why pay a monthly bill?
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Being able to sit down at game time - quickly tune into the game with little effort, watch it in HD on my big screen. Flip between other games during commercials, etc...

Not something that is possible tuning in using a website on Justin.TV, franksfrontrow, etc..

if you plug your lap top into the tv you can flip between it and the antenna during commercials to see the other games or flip on the net to other games as well
    not too difficult
    i'll take that over a bill to watch monday night football or the nfl network
    So are Obama phones...

Your point?

Beggars can't be choosers
    frank wrote: »
    but you can get about the same channels with an anyenna for a one time fee, why pay a monthly bill?

That's my Internet, I don't have cable
    I've dealt with the whole laptop / TV crap at the inlaws a few times trying to tune into the Bucs games when they were blacked out. There is nothing remotely easy about it and the broadcast quality was very sub-par. Guess I'll keep paying for cable during NCAAF and NFL seasons until they figure out a quality replacement.
    jad1097 wrote: »
    It's funny how obama phones have been around longer than obama has been president....just sayin'

Society is funny lol
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    I cut the cord 4 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. HD antenna and Roku is all I need.
    Saved 130.00 last 4 weeks or 1560.00 the next 12 months, no brainer.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
    Society is funny lol

true.

Ignorance begets ignorance