Home Off Topic

Thinking of "Cutting the Cord"

ThreeSheetsThreeSheets Posts: 71 Deckhand
We want to get rid of cable. Save for a handful of shows and sports, we really don't use it. I will keep basic cable (mandatory through HOA) so I'll still have sports - albeit in SD.

Looking at the Roku 3 or Amazon Fire TV. Anyone have experience with either?

Replies

• Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    We did this at the house in Everglades. Haven't looked back. Went with the chrome cast but im not there a lot since I'm on island most days, and the little woman would rather her stories on the iPad.

It's been flawless so far.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    Your HOA requires you to have cable?? why?
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Probably mandatory in that he is required to pay for it, as a contractual agreement with the HOA. He could have just said, since basic cable is part of our HOA fees, its basically free....
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Our basic cable through the HOA is being cancelled and we'll be hunting for a deal real soon.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    Have you thought about purchsing an exterior antennae? I have one and pick up a lot of channels, most in high def. Regardless of what your HOA tells you, they are legal with a few stipulations.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Actually, with just an indoor HDTV antenna, the picture is better than our cable/Uverse.

Unfortunately, down here, the extra channels you pick up are in spanish.....:banghead:banghead
  • BuckeyeBuckeye Posts: 4,984 Captain
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    Have you thought about purchsing an exterior antennae? I have one and pick up a lot of channels, most in high def. Regardless of what your HOA tells you, they are legal with a few stipulations.

Could you be more specific on "a lot of channels"?

My wife and I are seriously considering cutting the cord. Sports is the only real reason we haven't.

Curious what your channel line up is with the antennae.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

I have never eaten a booger in my entire life. -Jim Harbaugh
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    Buckeye wrote: »

My wife and I are seriously considering cutting the cord. Sports is the only real reason we haven't.

I'm in Sarasota, so the majority of the channels I pick up come in from Tampa. Here is a TV listing guide that shows the various channels I can get: http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/fl/tampa/over-the-air/33635

Here is a website that may help you pick out an antennae. http://www.antennaweb.org
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,497 AG
    What do you guys do for internet?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG

antenna is a good way to go, there are internet sites out there that show just about any sporting event live for free, it's how to watch blacked out games
    just hook a laptop or net book up to your tv, it's not as crisp but it's still good
    we use uverse for the internet
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer

I needed a tv for a guest room and wound up purchasing a samsung smart tv at costco for not much more that I could find a regular hd flat screen. I didn't have an antenna and experimented with a 6' length of 6 ga. copper strand wire, coiled up (sort of) and hooked to a length of coax cable. The tv picks up around 40 channels (most of them worthless, but it gets all local programming fine) and I can connect with the internet from the house router - the tv has apps for netflix, amazon, etc. Now I am considering going the same route for other tvs in the house, the sports thing is all that is holding me back.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,831 AG
    try simply plugging your tv into the wall. I get all the antenna channels this way and dont have cable. just cable internet

http://cathodesun.hubpages.com/hub/Local-HD-No-Box

Hooking Your Cable Straight into Your HDTV
    Depending on where you live, you may have been able to plug your cable straight into your old TV set to get the basic channels, or you may have been required to use a box for each TV connected to your cable. Regardless, your HDTV will now be able to see cable channels simply by plugging the coaxial cable line (the one that comes straight into your house from outside) straight into the back of the TV. Here are the steps for beginning this process:
    nole76 wrote: »
    the sports thing is all that is holding me back.
    frank wrote: »
    there are internet sites out there that show just about any sporting event live for free, it's how to watch blacked out games

in the past four years, i've never missed a game, nfl, nba, or college football, that i've wanted to see
  • nole76nole76 Posts: 804 Officer
    in the past four years, i've never missed a game, nfl, nba, or college football, that i've wanted to see

Frank, can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm a computer idiot, how do I find these sites?
    Frank, can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm a computer idiot, how do I find these sites?

They are not for the computer illiterate. Basically because you need to know what is real and what is spam/scam/malware. Its more than click and go

i sent you an IM
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,497 AG
    i sent you an IM

Why don't you share it with us frank?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    got ants? wrote: »
    He could have just said, since basic cable is part of our HOA fees, its basically free....

:huh Just like Obamacare is "free".
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    GA Fin wrote: »
    :huh Just like Obamacare is "free".

Do you have Obama on the brain 24/7?

We are talking cable, TV, etc
    rock_fish wrote: »

We are talking cable, TV, etc
    Please do the research and see how many times I have posted "Obama". It was an analogy ****. People think Obamacare is free. It is not. GA thinks cable is free, when it is paid for from the HOA dues that ThreeSheets pays.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    Resorting to insults. How cosmopolitan of you.

I did a search. I have posted "Obama" in 15 threads. Not a too many when you consider I have 6,000+ posts.

Resorting to insults. How cosmopolitan of you.

Next best thing to smacking someone that needs it IMHO. Passive aggressive cowards irritate me. You are one.

Why are you so mad? It's Sunday. Relax a bit.
    Why are you so mad? It's Sunday. Relax a bit.

Good point. I'm gonna smoke a bowl and go cut the grass.

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    I truly cant watch TV any more...cable, or HD antenna...once you get used to watching shows without commercials it's hard to sit thru all that crap... most of what I watch is on Netflix or tvids. Tvids is free, has tons of current shows( usually posted the day after network) and a lot of the shows I watch are in HD. You can watch on your computer or connect to your tv via a HDMI cable.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    try simply plugging your tv into the wall. I get all the antenna channels this way and dont have cable. just cable internet

Brighthouse? How much a month and what speed?
    Yes, and its the basic internet. 19.99 for 6 months then 29.99 after that. I think you can threaten to cancel and they will giver you another 6 months. I did that once before
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    Yes, and its the basic internet. 19.99 for 6 months then 29.99 after that. I think you can threaten to cancel and they will giver you another 6 months. I did that once before

That must be 10mb then. I need at least the 30mb which would be another $20. I'm gonna have to call brighhouse this week.
    Ya its not the fastest one. But I can legally download blue ray movies in an hour or two usually