Jupiter Yellowtail Snapper Report

A few were good size, many were marginal, but, in 3 hours managed to keep about 15... Lost a few big boys on the long leader, not sure what they were, very disappointed on that front, but still a fun few hours...

We were due east of Jupiter Inlet in about 62-63ft of water, probably about 2.65-2.75nm offshore, didn't take an exact measurement... All frozen bait due to the late start... Current was only about 1-1.2 knts...

I'm hoping the big Muttons move in soon...
attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Dinner! Thanks for the details. How deep did you get? Any debris or weeds?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    We anchored up in 75, not much going on, moved a bit into the 62-63ft dept and it was pretty active... Interestingly, there was some derbies and a LOT of turtles, had flat lines out, but only attracted beastly remoras... Nothing worthy on that front... Threw back the Lane Snapper because we wanted it to be a pure YT Snapper day...
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Nice going!!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Dave - that was my boy Jacob and me hollering at you and Skipper on your way out. We were taking a break from our paddle boarding adventure across from the Jib Club. Nice fish - we will be offshore tomorrow , putting to work the kite skills I learned from Mike/Angler Management.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    GT Fish wrote: »
    cool towel.

I stole that from your bedroom the last time you were out of town.... :cool
    Kaimana wrote: »
    Dave - that was my boy Jacob and me hollering at you and Skipper on your way out. We were taking a break from our paddle boarding adventure across from the Jib Club. Nice fish - we will be offshore tomorrow , putting to work the kite skills I learned from Mike/Angler Management.

Yeah, great to see you guys!

AM knows what he's doing........
    LastMango wrote: »
    I stole that from your bedroom the last time you were out of town.... :cool
    I wiped my nutz on that one all the time.

1560463_795794167098987_7190932464989366512_n.jpg
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    OMG, the war has begun, and I only have a 22 cal....
    GT Fish wrote: »
    You go girl10426590_795804767097927_8663792646078613494_n.jpg

Wait, wait.... Is that "tater" at 29 yo?
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
  • RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
    I believe that beats my shark(Reno911) photo LOL........................
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    nice job! they have definitely been biting well, we were out for a evening trip last tuesday and managed 15 keeper yellowtail 5 keeper mangroves and one keeper mutton. The funny thing was we caught about 60-80 snapper in total and a dozen were muttons that were 14-15.5 inches, very frustrating. We were also getting all our bites on chicken rigs with live pilchards and the long leader with a pilchard yielded no bites at all. again congrats on your trip, also we fished off lost tree when we went
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,485 Captain
    cool towel.
    I stole that from your bedroom the last time you were out of town....
    You go girl

Doh! What happened here?

:hairraiser I don't know, but I'm LMFAO!!! :funnypost

LM - You are an inspiration to bottom fishing expertise, and I hope to become a nemesis competing for the fish someday. :crossed

PS - Thanks Flatsfisher and Dave for the approximate locations and techniques, It's very much appreciated.

Pura Vida!
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,077 Officer
    haha great read, and great report!
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Nice going and I can only imagine there will be some exotic plating!
    GT is a riot....
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    e-money wrote: »
    Nice going and I can only imagine there will be some exotic plating!
    GT is a riot....

And, he's **** quick with the photoshop, took me 10 min to do the monkey pic, he cranks em out in 10 seconds!

Oh, and I tried a new sauce last night, came out horrible... I tried to come up with a curry, mustard, cream sauce, and it did NOT work... Oh well....
  • StepaboStepabo Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Dave, music to my ears Baby, I can taste the YT Francaise now, Salud
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”
    ―Hunter S. Thompson
    Rondo wrote: »
    I believe that beats my shark(Reno911) photo LOL........................

You wish SweetHeart, you were rockin' the short shorts smooooch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”
    ―Hunter S. Thompson
    Yeah, I ran into Rondo this weekend, ****, I tried to persuade Mz. Rondo out of her phone, for those CHIPS pics of Rondo, she would not relinquish.... However, the look in her eyes told me, it can happen...
    I made some strawberry grouper franciace, incredible!!!!! guys if you catch any strawberry's keep em' they are DDelicious, YT is usually my favorite but I had YT and Strawberry side by side and I have to tell you that strawberry is out of this world. Salud
    d
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ―Hunter S. Thompson
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Nice work Dave!!!! Very productive even though you missed on the muttons.

Ur getting better with the Photoshop, it takes practice LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 514 Officer
    Nice pack of yellow tail Dave !!!!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,387 Captain
    Nice haul mango!
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    nice. The new tabs working out?
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    nice. The new tabs working out?

Yes, trim tabs are working out great, and I won't whine about the $$$ after seeing what happened to Venturesome and now Double D's... At least mine was self-inflicted.... Sad and crazy stuff for both of them....
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 641 Officer
    Funny post ....there's several clown fish in the spread :rotflmao
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
    Saved two of the Yellowtail Snapper for the Thai Whole Fried Snapper... Haven't made it in a while....

Thai Style Whole Fried Snapper Recipe

Snapper Lad Prig - with Jasmine Rice and vegetables with a Panang curry sauce…

Ingredients for the Chili (Lad Prig) Sauce
    • 1 Tbs finely chopped coriander roots (If using dried coriander, make this 2 tsp) – If you don’t have this, it’s not the end of the world
    • 1 Tbs finely chopped red chilli and 1 Tbs finely chopped garlic
    • NOTE – I use 2-3 Tbs of “Ground Fresh Chili Paste” from an Asian food market to replace the chopped red chili and chopped garlic above, much easier- http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sambal-Oelek-Ground-Fresh-Chili-Paste-8oz-HuyFong-Foods-/11/!C!dLkjQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjYEzowe7Z(7BND!-ls,Fw~~_35.JPG
    • 1/3 finely chopped shallot or onion
    • 1 tsp thinly sliced and then chopped ginger
    • Juice of two limes
    • Pinch of sea salt
    • ¼ cup water
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ¼ cup tamarind puree, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes then sieved, liquid reserved (if you can’t find tamarind juice, add a little more lime juice)
    • ¼ cup of green onion chopped
    • 1 Tbs light soy
    • 1 Tbs fish sauce
    • Add water if needed
    • 2 Spring onions cut into ¼ inch lengths

Sauce Preparation

It’s really simple… Add all the ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer for 30min. If too spicy add water and simmer more. If you desire to thicken the sauce, add just a little corn starch. Personally, we don’t use corn starch, we just let it simmer a bit more, but if you’re in a rush, go for it, but we generally do our best to avoid it.

Ingredients and Preparation for the Whole Fried Snapper

• Remove scales and the insides, and cut off fins with a pair of kitchen scissors
    • Score the sides of the fish 3-4 times to ensure good flavor and consistent and thorough cooking
    • In a bag or bowl, mix whole wheat flour, salt, pepper and Asian Five Spice Powder (Five Spice Powder is strong, so don’t overdo it, but make sure there is enough to bold up the flavor a bit) – It can be purchased at Publix - http://www.scanavert.com/api/picture.php?upc=00739952602016&width=150&height=150
    • Coat fish with flour mixture and set aside for 10-15 min, I prefer to use a big ziplock bag for this if you have one big enough. We buy the jumbo ziplocks just for this…
    • I prefer peanut oil for this, but vegetable oil will work – Some people cook the fish on each side for about 4 min, but I prefer to have enough oil to emerge whole fish and cook for about 5 min.
    • Cut green onion and a thinly sliced lime for garnish

Curry, Vegetables and Rice

For the curry, we generally use a can of high quality coconut milk, a tablespoon or two of panang or red curry paste, a table spoon of fish sauce, and a pinch of sugar. We sauté the vegetables and the drizzle the curry sauce over the vegetables and a pinch on the Jasmine rice