Ping DuckmanJR (fertilizer ban)

Starts today in Brevard Co for the rainy season. Local 13 had a long segment on the lagoon's health and how this should help. I guess all cities agreeded accept MELBOURNE!
I just don't get why they are pointing @ fertilizer as the cause of the failing lagoon in Brevard... Go down to Vero and there are just as many lush yards and still grass in the river.
What say you?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,712 Admiral
    He is busy fertilizing his lawn.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,907 Admiral
    Haha... Pretty sure he is on the west coast this weekend and if you have seen his phone you would know he does not surf the web on that dinosaur.
    Surprised no other ECF members have an opinion on this.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,734 AG
    Yes, just got home from "Recital weekend" on the other coast. The oldest daughter owns a dance and music studio in Lehigh Acres and at the end of the year brings a huge big deal production of all the classes dancing....I want to say over 40 numbers and It is nearly 3 hours long. Everything from little 2 year olds kinda twirling and whirling around trying not to fall down (while looking adorable) ....to teen girls on the "Competitive" dance team which was quite good...and it is serious stuff (think "Dance Moms" )....and everything in between. My 4 1/2 year old granddaughter was in 3 numbers so I was getting a lot of dancing to watch. And when not doing that..was helping my wife babysit both her 84 year old alzheimers Mom...and the youngest grandaughter at 14 months...a real handful!

Fishing will be a real treat tomorrow......if just for the silence.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Oh...the ban.... It is good...But as I said with that other "ban" (nets :wink )...

IF you don't fix all the real issues...it is just a band-aid on a gushing gunshot wound to the head.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,762 Captain
    All well and good but how will it be enforced?
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 509 Officer
    Vero has the advantage if being between two inlets, that portion if the river should flush a bit better. I'm also totally for the fertilizer ban, but I wonder how the lawn care service businesses will be addressing it, as well as businesses such as lowes.
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 482 Deckhand
    I guess all the golf courses up and down A1A with have to close up shop now with this new ban. I imagine all the homes in Grand Harbor and the like with just let their lawns die off and maybe put in pebbles or rock. It's a win win.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,031 Officer
    Due to this ban, there will be less N and P artificially going into the river and I have to think that's a good thing. The volume decrease resulting from the ban - and more importantly, the impact - remains to be seen. And it's easy to say that this is just a drop in the bucket, but I will take that drop!

This ban, and the $23 million cleanup budget that was signed a few weeks ago, are evidence of the most direct actions for river conservation that I have seen in decades.

The public awareness of the "Lagoon System" has also been raised. Say what you will about Florida Today, but the river series that Jim Waymer has been writing over the past 1-2 years has been outstanding in this regard.

I sincerely hope that the momentum of these events keeps up and we see more benefits to the river we all love.

And I hope they build an inlet at Patrick even though it won't help anything :)
    I guess all the golf courses up and down A1A with have to close up shop now with this new ban. I imagine all the homes in Grand Harbor and the like with just let their lawns die off and maybe put in pebbles or rock. It's a win win.

There are exemptions....the golf courses will look as green as ever.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Due to this ban, there will be less N and P artificially going into the river and I have to think that's a good thing. The volume decrease resulting from the ban - and more importantly, the impact - remains to be seen. And it's easy to say that this is just a drop in the bucket, but I will take that drop!

This ban, and the $23 million cleanup budget that was signed a few weeks ago, are evidence of the most direct actions for river conservation that I have seen in decades.

The public awareness of the "Lagoon System" has also been raised. Say what you will about Florida Today, but the river series that Jim Waymer has been writing over the past 1-2 years has been outstanding in this regard.

I sincerely hope that the momentum of these events keeps up and we see more benefits to the river we all love.

And I hope they build an inlet at Patrick even though it won't help anything :)

As I said...It is good...it is a step...and the longest journey begins with a first step.

* BUT * ... It is a very small step and in no way shape or form will be even a fraction of what needs to be done to even * SAVE WHAT WE HAVE* ...no less bring back a vibrant ecosystem.

Is it going to be hard with hard choices YES!!
    expensive?.... Holy $h!+ yes!!! :hairraiser

Worth doing? ...without question. :)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled