Home Egret Boats

WTB Egret 167 or 189 in good condition

13»

Replies

• EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Last-Cast wrote: »
    The challenge you are going to find with a90's boat is the trail of owners. Most of the owners from that time are either first or second owners and still have them. I am talking about myself now. I bought a '97 in 99 and have been extremely happy. If you can find one from back then very few of us are willing to part with them. Those that want to sell would probably pass them on to a friend before the for sale sign goes up. I for one have done very little work on my boat for being this old. Last year I replaced all the wiring and hoses. Added cut off valves at the sea chest since they were not installed back then. The GPS was replaced last year, the old one still worked but the screen had burned out. I replaced my trolling motor ten years ago and still have it and the charger was replaced about three years ago. I use my boat a lot but I don't run it WOT all the time. One flaw I may have is the original engine, a Yami 150 Pro V. Most folks thinks that's bad. I don't, it's like the Chevy 350's not the smoothest but very reliable and parts are still easy to get.

I will have to get the bow redone some time in the near future. Only because I have worn down the original gel coat from spending time with her. Back in the 90's half the boats were all fiberglass like mine while others had Kevlar in them.

Looking back I would also do the same thing all over again. If I were in your shoes I would suggest looking at a boat under five years old and enjoying it for another ten before anything really has to be done to it.

Well first thing I have to say is how do I become your friend. :)

Secondly thanks for the advise. I would be curious to whether you would prefer a 90's boat fully restored or a less than 5 year old boat if they were the same price? Do you feel the the price would be justified for one of the older hulls with new power trailer and all the new updates?

Thanks for your time.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I've had both a new North Carolina boat and a Florida built bird. Both were carbon/Kevlar. Can't say I noticed much difference between the two, except I preferred the deck layout on the Florida built - which surprised me, as I initially didn't think I would. The hatches were drier and a lot easier to open and close to me - I wish more builders would go back to that style of hatch. At the time, I wasn't doing a lot of fly fishing, but I could see why the new layout would be better for fly guys.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

Secondly thanks for the advise. I would be curious to whether you would prefer a 90's boat fully restored or a less than 5 year old boat if they were the same price? Do you feel the the price would be justified for one of the older hulls with new power trailer and all the new updates?

Thanks for your time.

Here's what you are going to deal with. Let's just say you convince someone to sell you their old boat for $30,000. If they decide they want to replace it with a new one. It will cost them $30,000 to do the same thing they were doing. Yes I understand it would be new have a warranty and all those thing. But at the end of the day, the old boat took you fishing just like the new one.

What you need is a Egret owner that wants a new boat. Another thought is to put out a crazy offer out there to see if someone takes it. Good Luck in your search... Pete
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I wish more builders would go back to that style of hatch. At the time, I wasn't doing a lot of fly fishing, but I could see why the new layout would be better for fly guys.

Nothing that a beach towel can't fix in a second. The far superior hatch access and deeper wells/drier hatches on the older boats far outweighs the intermittent problem of a hatch corner issue on the original design which can catch a line. And that corner may be fixed too with a slight rounding to each corner. For all practical purposes, the older hulls perform exactly the same as the newer ones and you will notice no difference. It should come down to relative overall condition/cost to restore to new, power, and purchase price much more than what year the hull is. I also prefer the older hatch design.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 216 Deckhand

Thanks for your time.

That's like asking which child you like better. There are pluses and minuses to each. The older all fiberglass boats are a little heavier that than what they were supposed to be but still strong. I personally like the older top cap. The bait well and release well are set up to my liking. There are two storage hatches in the front and the hatch wells are much deeper. The newer boats are new, less wear and tear. Frank has been more open to making custom features in his build so some of the newer boats have their own personality. For many years I couldn't replace the boat since my "fun money" was going towards my children's horse ridding competitions. I couldn't justify buying a boat every couple of years when room and board for the horses along with training looked like a mortgage payment. As time went on the design speaks for itself. The bottom is still the same except for a couple of boats that now have a pad. Saltwater Junkie and I have boats that are about a year apart. In fact he sold me my boat back then. I was looking for two years when he told me about the boat that available. I committed to it before I could run it since I had a cast half way up my leg at the time.

If I had to make the decision today I would probably break it down to two items. Today I do much more fishing with artificials so a live well is a lower priority so a newer boat would work just fine for me today. Back in the day Pete and I competed a lot in a local fishing club and live bait consisted of half of our fishing categories so the older boat layout worked well for me then

BTW I sent you a PM
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    That's like asking which child you like better. There are pluses and minuses to each. The older all fiberglass boats are a little heavier that than what they were supposed to be but still strong. I personally like the older top cap. The bait well and release well are set up to my liking. There are two storage hatches in the front and the hatch wells are much deeper. The newer boats are new, less wear and tear. Frank has been more open to making custom features in his build so some of the newer boats have their own personality. For many years I couldn't replace the boat since my "fun money" was going towards my children's horse ridding competitions. I couldn't justify buying a boat every couple of years when room and board for the horses along with training looked like a mortgage payment. As time went on the design speaks for itself. The bottom is still the same except for a couple of boats that now have a pad. Saltwater Junkie and I have boats that are about a year apart. In fact he sold me my boat back then. I was looking for two years when he told me about the boat that available. I committed to it before I could run it since I had a cast half way up my leg at the time.

If I had to make the decision today I would probably break it down to two items. Today I do much more fishing with artificials so a live well is a lower priority so a newer boat would work just fine for me today. Back in the day Pete and I competed a lot in a local fishing club and live bait consisted of half of our fishing categories so the older boat layout worked well for me then

BTW I sent you a PM

Thank you for the advise. I met Pete and be have me the official run down which has helped me a great deal.
    I will reach out to you tomorrow. Thank you.
    Thank you for the advise. I met Pete and be have me the official run down which has helped me a great deal.
    I will reach out to you tomorrow. Thank you.

Thanks for the tip. I am fortunate to have a few guys and new friends looking out for me as well. I have to say I have had the great pleasure to have spoken with several older Egret owners who have guided me and shared years of knowledge with me of which I am extremely grateful. Please keep me in mind if you should come across one of these birds. Thanks. Eric
    Well me and my two boys got our first taste of what it's like to ride on an Egret. A huge thanks to silverdreams. What a great honor and pleasure it was to meet with you and a big thanks for your kind gesture to take us out. I now have an appreciation for what everyone has been saying about the ride and capabilities. Only thing remaining now is for me to lock one down.

I thank those that have reached out to me including trponhunter who talked with me at length this Friday. I greatly appreciate it and you were extremely helpful, I'm disappointed I was late on your last sale.

Please continue reaching out and as always keep me in mind if interested in selling.

Thanks. Eric
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Eric, congrats on the new ride. You ended up with a sweet boat.
    Eric, congrats on the new ride. You ended up with a sweet boat.

Thanks.

We'll I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to speak with me over the previous few months. I really wanted to land an Egret but I was also interested in the Young 20. An amazing opportunity came up and I was able get a great 2006 Young 20 with a F150 yamaha with only 117 hours on it and a dual axle Rolls trailer ( these are amazing trailers, Pete I see why you have it).

Thanks again all. If I ever am in the market again the Egret is still my pick for flats boat.

Sincerely.

Eric
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    They make a really nice boat. I'm sure you will have years of enjoyment out of it.
    They make a really nice boat. I'm sure you will have years of enjoyment out of it.

Thanks. I still would like to see your boat and perhaps we could go out one day in either boat as I need to learn your waters. I may be in your area this weekend if so I'll text you.

Thanks again.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Sweet ride!! Let us know how the Young does. I've always thought they were one sexy boat! Congrats!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Sweet ride!! Let us know how the Young does. I've always thought they were one sexy boat! Congrats!

Thank you BB.

Had her out for the first time on my birthday Sunday with 4 adults and my two boys and it was extremely dry and comfortable as the Frigid Ridid cooler bench cushion is wide enough for 2 adults and the bench is perfect for 4. Also the custom fit Bimini top was a must.

It was a great day boating. Ready for first day of fishing.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Thank you BB.

Had her out for the first time on my birthday Sunday with 4 adults and my two boys and it was extremely dry and comfortable as the Frigid Ridid cooler bench cushion is wide enough for 2 adults and the bench is perfect for 4. Also the custom fit Bimini top was a must.

It was a great day boating. Ready for first day of fishing.
    :thumbsup
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • SpookSpook Posts: 152 Deckhand
    here is a exceptionally clean 2000 Egret CK for sale on The Hull Truth:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/624919-2000-c-k-egret-189-a.html
    Spook wrote: »
    here is a exceptionally clean 2000 Egret CK for sale on The Hull Truth:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/624919-2000-c-k-egret-189-a.html

Thanks but I already bought a Young 20. I've been on this boat and it is sweet.

GLWS Joe.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 216 Deckhand
    congratulations nice ride
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    congratulations nice ride

Thanks Last Cast. I'm really excited. I dropped her off at Young on Friday to add GPS and minor items to make her like new. Likely a power pole also. Can't wait to get her back in a few weeks.