Home Egret Boats

WTB Egret 167 or 189 in good condition

Replies

• EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    You sound like Pete. I hear that side but I want to wait to see if I can pin down one of these older ones still as I really want to stroke a check and allow my monthly payment to be for my gas use and some extras if need be. I'm willing to give it some time and know one will come around. I definitely would love to see yours when you take delivery since you are local. Let me know. Thanks.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I told him that he could get a new one and in 20 years it would still be worth a good amout of money.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I tend to sell my 18'9 every 3-5 years to get a new one. I'm at three years now and if the power offerings change in the next marketing cycle mine may go up.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I tend to sell my 18'9 every 3-5 years to get a new one. I'm at three years now and if the power offerings change in the next marketing cycle mine may go up.

2011's have bigger power offerings:-)
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    I told him that he could get a new one and in 20 years it would still be worth a good amout of money.

Yes you did and you are living proof. Thanks again for your time today as it was truly invaluable. I don't think I will be able to wait forever but don't mind waiting up to another 6 months. I'm sure something will pop up. New power options are out pole position. Would love to see some pics. Thanks.
    Nothing imminent, but not out of the question.

IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1938_zpsa7cac816.jpgIMG_1939_zpsa659816e.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

She's beautiful. And a fellow Gator I see. Go Gators! Where are you located? Would love to chat. I'll pm you tomorrow. Time for bed now so I can wake up tomorrow to that job that will allow me to pay for one.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer

IMG_1222.jpg

Still one of my favorite 189's I've seen. Beautiful skiff!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • SpookSpook Posts: 152 Deckhand
    She's beautiful. And a fellow Gator I see. Go Gators! Where are you located? Would love to chat. I'll pm you tomorrow. Time for bed now so I can wake up tomorrow to that job that will allow me to pay for one.

Put me behind Eric on the list John! I should be ready to buy in a year or so.
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    It was a pleasure speaking with you too Eric. I'm sure your visit with Pete was at least twice as informative. He's got a ton of knowledge about these boats and their history.
    5l8lqw.jpg
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    You sound like Pete. I hear that side but I want to wait to see if I can pin down one of these older ones still as I really want to stroke a check and allow my monthly payment to be for my gas use and some extras if need be. I'm willing to give it some time and know one will come around. I definitely would love to see yours when you take delivery since you are local. Let me know. Thanks.

Smart choice. You never know what might happen before you get it paid for.
    Back in the early- mid 2000's money was flowing and most of my friends who fished, went out and bought new Lake&Bays,Shearwaters and pathfinders. Almost all of them lost them during the 5 year slow down. Keep looking, you'll find one.
    Hopefully you can find an older one and then repower new. Best of both worlds, as the boats seem to last forever. When I sold my 95,
    after about a week of detailing it looked close to new.
    camgci wrote: »
    Smart choice. You never know what might happen before you get it paid for.
    Back in the early- mid 2000's money was flowing and most of my friends who fished, went out and bought new Lake&Bays,Shearwaters and pathfinders. Almost all of them lost them during the 5 year slow down. Keep looking, you'll find one.
    Hopefully you can find an older one and then repower new. Best of both worlds, as the boats seem to last forever. When I sold my 95,
    after about a week of detailing it looked close to new.

When the market was hopping a friend wanted a boat and his best friend said you're crazy put the money in the market you'll make enought to buy the boat. A few years later my friend was telling his buddy" I still got my boat, you still got your money?"
    When the market was hopping a friend wanted a boat and his best friend said you're crazy put the money in the market you'll make enought to buy the boat. A few years later my friend was telling his buddy" I still got my boat, you still got your money?"

Agree!! Plus you can't live your life worrying about every eventuality. I act responsibly but live life. If something happens I can sell and get a Jon boat!

I don't spend money on hardly anything else so I don't think twice about fishing which is my passion.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand

I also agree. I'm not suggesting he should not buy a boat. I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with saving your money and not going into debt for toys. With $30,000 he should be able to find a decent Egret at half the price of a new one.
    We'll I would like to thank those that reached out to me by PM. Especially thanks to pole position for all of the great advise. Please keep me in mind when you decide to sell. Hopefully I will lock something down soon but it's nice to know that your boat could be an option in the nearer future.

I would like to know if anyone has had to replace their gas tanks on the older hulls. I understand this could be costly and effect the integrity of the hull if not done correctly. Plus it would be unsightly and a real bummer to cut the deck on a classic build. What is the usual life of a tank?

Also, please keep me in mind if you are selling or hear of anyone interested.

Thanks.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Be sure Frank knows your budget and what your looking to buy. You never know when your phone might ring.
    We'll I would like to thank those that reached out to me by PM. Especially thanks to pole position for all of the great advise. Please keep me in mind when you decide to sell. Hopefully I will lock something down soon but it's nice to know that your boat could be an option in the nearer future.

I would like to know if anyone has had to replace their gas tanks on the older hulls. I understand this could be costly and effect the integrity of the hull if not done correctly. Plus it would be unsightly and a real bummer to cut the deck on a classic build. What is the usual life of a tank?

Also, please keep me in mind if you are selling or hear of anyone interested.

Thanks.

It depends on when your boat was built. The gas tanks used today should have a useful life of at least 20 years. If your ownership outlasts your fuel tank, you've beaten the depreciation gods.
    We'll I'm looking into the Florida built boats built in the 90's to 2002. Is this something to be concerned about?
    I defer to more experienced members on those model years, but you are talking 20 years ago...
    We'll I'm looking into the Florida built boats built in the 90's to 2002. Is this something to be concerned about?

Absolutely! There are a ton of things to be concerned about when you purchase anything that's 19 or 20 years old. Especially a boat used in saltwater.

If you decided that you want an older boat you have to be ready to spend the money to repair or replace the things that need to be fixed. The problem with this is that when you finish getting everything done to your liking, you may have more money invested in it than it's worth. The other issue is that less than 200 of 18's were made. It may take you 2 or 3 years to get one. That's a long time to be in timeout!

If you buy a new Egret and keep it for 20 years. The memories with your family and friends alone will be worth the money!

Think about that... Pete
    When were the "Hialeah" boats made and how can you tell if they are from that period? Are those boats different in any appreciable way from a Dania or Washington boat?
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    When were the "Hialeah" boats made and how can you tell if they are from that period? Are those boats different in any appreciable way from a Dania or Washington boat?

I think the last half of 97' marks the end of the consolidated built Egrets.
    I agree. Frank A told me he's seen guys buy used and put $30K in. By the time you do that and deal with increased ongoing maintenance you might as well buy new. Now, if you find a 3-5 year old boat and save that initial depreciation, more power to you. I am happy with my decision to go new. I plan to have a well maintained, and not to mention storied, boat.

You may be referring to other brands not Egret. From what I recall Mako, Invincible, Anacapri, Angler, Ocean Runner and Competition all have or have had factories in Hialeah or OpaLocka. Egret's has had a factory in Dania, Miami and now in Washington NC.

The deck on the 18 Egret was changed when the company was purchased by Frank.
    Then I speak of the "Miami" boats. Were there any differences in build?

FWIW, I kinda see all of Miami through a Hialeah lens. It is, after all, the City of progress.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand

FWIW, I kinda see all of Miami through a Hialeah lens. It is, after all, the City of progress.

I look at Miami pretty much the same.

You have to consider that shortly after Egret was purchased 97-98, the controlling company went into financial turmoil. When you're going bankrupt, a lot of things tend to get overlooked.
    I look at Miami pretty much the same.

You have to consider that shortly after Egret was purchased 97-98, the controlling company went into financial turmoil. When you're going bankrupt, a lot of things tend to get overlooked.

Well if you are referring to anything to do with the materials, products used and/or the quality of any Egret boat. You can sleep in peace knowing that Scott, Jim and I never gave in to the guys in ties...Pete

Yes, we change from:

Changed a fiberglass splash well hatch, to a plastic one.

Changed the support on the rod lockers from springs to click sticks.

Changed the top rod supports in the rod lockers from a fiberglass molded part to a aluminum and starboard part.

Changed from using OMC outboards to Yamaha and Mercury.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 216 Deckhand
    The challenge you are going to find with a90's boat is the trail of owners. Most of the owners from that time are either first or second owners and still have them. I am talking about myself now. I bought a '97 in 99 and have been extremely happy. If you can find one from back then very few of us are willing to part with them. Those that want to sell would probably pass them on to a friend before the for sale sign goes up. I for one have done very little work on my boat for being this old. Last year I replaced all the wiring and hoses. Added cut off valves at the sea chest since they were not installed back then. The GPS was replaced last year, the old one still worked but the screen had burned out. I replaced my trolling motor ten years ago and still have it and the charger was replaced about three years ago. I use my boat a lot but I don't run it WOT all the time. One flaw I may have is the original engine, a Yami 150 Pro V. Most folks thinks that's bad. I don't, it's like the Chevy 350's not the smoothest but very reliable and parts are still easy to get.

I will have to get the bow redone some time in the near future. Only because I have worn down the original gel coat from spending time with her. Back in the 90's half the boats were all fiberglass like mine while others had Kevlar in them.

Looking back I would also do the same thing all over again. If I were in your shoes I would suggest looking at a boat under five years old and enjoying it for another ten before anything really has to be done to it.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold