Home Egret Boats

WTB Egret 167 or 189 in good condition

EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Greenhorn
Hello Egret family! I'm looking to buy my first boat so I can get my two boys 4 and 6 into fishing like my grandfather did with me at 5 years old (thanks papa). :)

I live in South Florida and willing to buy immediately. If anyone knows of someone interested in selling or wishes to sell theirs to a good home please keep me in mind. Any advice is much appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone.

Eric

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Hello Egret family! I'm looking to buy my first boat so I can get my two boys 4 and 6 into fishing like my grandfather did with me at 5 years old (thanks papa). :)

I live in South Florida and willing to buy immediately. If anyone knows of someone interested in selling or wishes to sell theirs to a good home please keep me in mind. Any advice is much appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone.

Eric

Check with Frank and see if he has any factory reconditioned skiffs available. They do a great job and are fairly priced. With two growing boys the 189 would be my choice and is my choice for two growing dogs!
  • EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    mtd885 wrote: »
    Check with Frank and see if he has any factory reconditioned skiffs available. They do a great job and are fairly priced. With two growing boys the 189 would be my choice and is my choice for two growing dogs!

Great. Thanks for the tip. I will reach out to him next week.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Shoot me a text 727 902 8784. It's a 167 with 90 yamaha 4 stroke
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
    Shoot me a text 727 902 8784. It's a 167 with 90 yamaha 4 stroke

Please have your friend reach out to me as I will be in your area next week.

Thanks.
    I spoke to Frank and he doesn't have any used inventory and has a list of buyers already.

Please reach out if anyone wants to sell their Egret.

Thank you.

Please have your friend reach out to me as I will be in your area next week.

Thanks.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I spoke to Frank and he doesn't have any used inventory and has a list of buyers already.

Please reach out if anyone wants to sell their Egret.

Thank you.

Have you considered a new one?...Pete
    Yes I thought about it and spoke to Frank on pricing. I just don't think I want to go that much Into my first boat. Looking to pay cash and not deal with financing. It has been tempting but I have spoken to a couple people that have bought some nice slightly used ones and that is what I feel makes the most sense. I found a 2007 Carbon Kevlar 189 with Yamaha F150 and only 55 hrs and power pole. Batteries would likely need to be replaced and would need to replace the GPS. No trolling motor but has roll n troll trim tabs which I would likely replace. What do you feel that would be worth?
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    There is a ck 189 at caribe marina in the keys w a 200 yami. I don't know the boat but looks worth checking out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was on vacation and I no longer see it on cl. Still looking.

Thanks

lowerkeys wrote: »
    There is a ck 189 at caribe marina in the keys w a 200 yami. I don't know the boat but looks worth checking out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was on vacation and I no longer see it on cl. Still looking.

That may be the yellow "overbuilt" skiff Frank built to a 450# customers specs. If I recall correctly it was not a good build at over 1200#s per Frank.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer

That may be the yellow "overbuilt" skiff Frank built to a 450# customers specs. If I recall correctly it was not a good build at over 1200#s per Frank.

I went to go see that boat. Personally it wasn't for me. If you want it to be nice I would be prepared to put $10,000 in it. If you want it to run legally be prepared to sell the 2006 200hp motor on it and repower it with 175hp or below.

\

I went to go see that boat. Personally it wasn't for me. If you want it to be nice I would be prepared to put $10,000 in it. If you want it to run legally be prepared to sell the 2006 200hp motor on it and repower it with 175hp or below.

Is it the Yellow one? If so the 200 hp was needed to run the darn thing d/t weight of the overbuild.
    Yeah I just saw it on boattrader. Not for me.
    Still looking.
    Still looking. Please reach out if anyone wants to sell.
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    You should have bought that one with 55 hours on it
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    cairotrout wrote: »
    You should have bought that one with 55 hours on it

Haha... You did!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Haha... You did!!

I would of expected a thank you instead for giving the heads up. Enjoy it.
    You gave him the heads up on the boat?? I thought he saw it on boat trader. It is a really nice boat! The guy who bought it(Cairo Trout) is a real A hole.... I should know. hes one of my best friends. First class pecker head.. I wouldnt expect him to thank someone so Ill do it for him.... **** boy has no home training!

You gave him the heads up on the boat?? I thought he saw it on boat trader. It is a really nice boat! The guy who bought it(Cairo Trout) is a real A hole.... I should know. hes one of my best friends. First class pecker head.. I wouldnt expect him to thank someone so Ill do it for him.... **** boy has no home training!

It was on a forum and a week after I posted my question it was gone. It's all good. Glad he is enjoying her. I spoke with you Jay on your master angler. I had offered you $20k. Glad to see you got more as she was pretty. Nice 2011 bird easily helps you forget that one though. Congrats. If you come along anyone selling an Egret please keep me mind. Thanks. Eric
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Yes I thought about it and spoke to Frank on pricing. I just don't think I want to go that much Into my first boat. Looking to pay cash and not deal with financing. It has been tempting but I have spoken to a couple people that have bought some nice slightly used ones and that is what I feel makes the most sense. I found a 2007 Carbon Kevlar 189 with Yamaha F150 and only 55 hrs and power pole. Batteries would likely need to be replaced and would need to replace the GPS. No trolling motor but has roll n troll trim tabs which I would likely replace. What do you feel that would be worth?

Eric,

Have you gotten a ride on an Egret yet? I think you would do yourself an injustice if you buy ANY boat without spending some time on it. I have had close to 20 different boats over the years, (SeaVee, Seacraft, several Boston Whalers, Formula, Parker) You get the idea, a lot quality boats. They are all compromises in some way. I believe an Egret represents the best in class, with a few others right there too. And for me they are worth searching out and waiting for a good one. Mine took about two years to find with the help of this forum I might add.
    With that said, I have over 40k into my 1999, so a new one should be a consideration. But, these boats just like any other take a while to get used to and learn to drive. The better boat handler you become, the more you will appreciate just what an Egret can do. However, when laying down your hard earned dollars for a little boat you need to evaluate your needs and wants and don't drink the kool aid without doing your homework. I say because I have seen some folks on this forum, all excited about building one of these boats and take delivery and continue to post about what a great boat they have, only to put it up for sale in a year or two. My guess is their enthusiasm cost them a lot of money. And, again some of them may not have taken the time to become experts at running them, which can make all the difference in the world.

When I sold my SeaVee, my family was crushed, they just couldn't get why I would sell that boat for this little skiff. I also have two boys and my wife is always with me on the boat, and they are ALL believers now, and feel that this is the finest most awesome and fun boat We've had to date. I keep mine garaged, and it looks like its brand new, honestly. To me, if this is your first boat, you might not appreciate the little things that set it apart. Anyway, while I love my 1999 c/k, I have spent as much as a new or close to new one at this point so don't under estimate the SAVINGS of going new. For me, NO regrets what so ever, I actually take pride in maintaining a Florida Egret in bristol condition, but Egret is in good hands with Frank and the new ones are built very well and with the best materials. I believe true to Scott Flanders and Jim Gardiners original vision, and of course their hull design is unchanged.

This forum has been very active lately and the kool aid is clearly flowing. All good, I get that but every boater has their own needs. So there it is, my two cents. Hope it helps you. My best memories of my childhood were those spent on the water and my sons agree, all the time.

All the best in your search,
    Dan
    5l8lqw.jpg
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Eric,

Have you gotten a ride on an Egret yet? I think you would do yourself an injustice if you buy ANY boat without spending some time on it. I have had close to 20 different boats over the years, (SeaVee, Seacraft, several Boston Whalers, Formula, Parker) You get the idea, a lot quality boats. They are all compromises in some way. I believe an Egret represents the best in class, with a few others right there too. And for me they are worth searching out and waiting for a good one. Mine took about two years to find with the help of this forum I might add.
    With that said, I have over 40k into my 1999, so a new one should be a consideration. But, these boats just like any other take a while to get used to and learn to drive. The better boat handler you become, the more you will appreciate just what an Egret can do. However, when laying down your hard earned dollars for a little boat you need to evaluate your needs and wants and don't drink the kool aid without doing your homework. I say because I have seen some folks on this forum, all excited about building one of these boats and take delivery and continue to post about what a great boat they have, only to put it up for sale in a year or two. My guess is their enthusiasm cost them a lot of money. And, again some of them may not have taken the time to become experts at running them, which can make all the difference in the world.

When I sold my SeaVee, my family was crushed, they just couldn't get why I would sell that boat for this little skiff. I also have two boys and my wife is always with me on the boat, and they are ALL believers now, and feel that this is the finest most awesome and fun boat We've had to date. I keep mine garaged, and it looks like its brand new, honestly. To me, if this is your first boat, you might not appreciate the little things that set it apart. Anyway, while I love my 1999 c/k, I have spent as much as a new or close to new one at this point so don't under estimate the SAVINGS of going new. For me, NO regrets what so ever, I actually take pride in maintaining a Florida Egret in bristol condition, but Egret is in good hands with Frank and the new ones are built very well and with the best materials. I believe true to Scott Flanders and Jim Gardiners original vision, and of course their hull design is unchanged.

This forum has been very active lately and the kool aid is clearly flowing. All good, I get that but every boater has their own needs. So there it is, my two cents. Hope it helps you. My best memories of my childhood were those spent on the water and my sons agree, all the time.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks so much for the advise. I have not been on an Egret yet but I have been on Hewes, Action Craft, Maverick etc. and I have seen what is lacking. I like the set up of the Egret and have spoken to friends who have been boat owners for awhile and highly recommend this boat. I am open to others esp a Young 20 and the rare Intrepid 20 flats boat but I don't want to just settle as I woul prefer a boat I could have for many years since I have 2 young boys and it could be a pass me down sort of thing. I am looking at other boats but now that summer is almost over and kids going back to school I can be patient. I have considered on getting an old Lappy or Maverick Master Angler for the meanwhile but trying to pin down one of these birds. As for new I don't want to really pay more than $30k so that puts it out of reach. If you come across anyone that wants to sell please keep me in mind. Thanks again for your 2 cents. Much appreciated. FYI. I am in Ft Lauderdale so if anyone wants to show this guy why my waiting is not in vain I would definitely be willing. Thanks.
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Dan,

Thanks so much for the advise. I have not been on an Egret yet but I have been on Hewes, Action Craft, Maverick etc. and I have seen what is lacking. I like the set up of the Egret and have spoken to friends who have been boat owners for awhile and highly recommend this boat. I am open to others esp a Young 20 and the rare Intrepid 20 flats boat but I don't want to just settle as I woul prefer a boat I could have for many years since I have 2 young boys and it could be a pass me down sort of thing. I am looking at other boats but now that summer is almost over and kids going back to school I can be patient. I have considered on getting an old Lappy or Maverick Master Angler for the meanwhile but trying to pin down one of these birds. As for new I don't want to really pay more than $30k so that puts it out of reach. If you come across anyone that wants to sell please keep me in mind. Thanks again for your 2 cents. Much appreciated. FYI. I am in Ft Lauderdale so if anyone wants to show this guy why my waiting is not in vain I would definitely be willing. Thanks.

I have a buddy that is going to be selling his Maverick in the near future. Maybe that will work out for you. Send me an PM with your email addess and I'll forward it to him. Good Luck... Pete
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Eric,

Dan

Best advice I've seen. Gotta admit. I bought a case or two of the kool aid before I decided on my bird. Have poured a few glasses since. Best dang Kool Aid I've ever had!! Love my boat and hope to keep it for a very long time.

I have had 3 boats. A fold-a- bote, bass tracker (that my boat mechanic told me I was destroying with trips to Flamingo), and a Carolina Skiff. They are now building my 189.

In time my fishing style has gotten more consistent. I do a lot of different acivities (caught 17 lobsters freediving today and fishing patch reefs for snapper tomorrow for example), but over time it has become consistent with a pattern of the same kind of trips recurring again and again. Actually this is why I bought the Carolina Skiff JVX, because I wanted an affordable, versatile boat and fit and finish weren't important to me (neither was a dry ride apparently).

I first went on the Egret two years ago with Captain Blake Matherly. As I have recently reevaluated what I do, diving, backcountry, mangroves, some flats, tarpon including government cut, creeks and rivers, and 5-10% poling, I kept coming back to the Egret. Its mediocre polability and hull slap were more than made up for by dry hatches, dry smooth ride, fuel capacity, quality, fit and finish, and reputation. Guys I spoke with would say things like "my 189 rode better than my 24 pathfinder; wish I'd never sold it." And "best riding boat I've ever had". Others said "beautiful, big, beamy; not a great poling boat". The more I researched the more I realized boating was about compromises but that the Egret made the right ones for me (and also refused to compromise on the right things for me )

I did a sea trial on the 189. I chartered a HB Marquesa. I went on my buddies Maverick hpx-v. I looked at release, hewes redfisher, action craft, shearwater, pathfinder, the old master anglers. All had their pros and cons and many were excellent boats but nothing addressed my needs better than the Egret 189.

I love instant gratification so after looking at a used 1999 189 in the keys I decided to build one. I work very hard and fishing/boating is my passion so it is money well spent for me. I am going into it expecting to lose at least $20K vs buying used but I am Ok with that. Hopefully I settle in with it and take care of it 10-20 years but if not I know what is at stake.

With $30K to put down you could afford a new one. Payment would be cake. Or if you are smarter and more patient than I, put a bit more money together and get a used one. First you need to drive one and go through the selection process I went through. After my boat gets here on 9/12 I would be happy to take you out on it. Or I am sure you could make something happen sooner if you are so inclined. PM me if I can help in any way.

Best,

RMc
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Best advice I've seen. Gotta admit. I bought a case or two of the kool aid before I decided on my bird. Have poured a few glasses since. Best dang Kool Aid I've ever had!! Love my boat and hope to keep it for a very long time.

ditto on the recommendation. go on the egret website and look at the links on the bottom, there are 2 charter captains that have egrets. I have used Brian Vaughn several times in HHI when he had a 189, now he has a moccasin. Mark29860 went out with Tommy Derringer and told me he was a great guide and could tell you a lot about the boat. He does the youtube video on the 189. It is about a 4 hour drive from St. Augustine to Ft. Lauderdale. I drove about the same distance from my house to Hilton Head to fish on Brian Vaughn's egret 189 when he had it. We just made a weekend of it and have done the trip several times to make sure the 189 was what i wanted. It would be well worth your time and money before you make investment. I am sure you have heard the 2 best days in a boat owners life, the day you buy it and the day you sell it. LOL
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 495 Deckhand
    I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. While I've never fished on an Egret, I have loved the boat for many years. I ended up buying a Lake & Bay Backwater 20 two years ago, but sold it this past week. I loved the boat, but there were a few things that I didn't care for. I've sent an email to Capt. Tommy to set up a charter trip on his Egret in the next few months so that I can not only take a ride on the boat, but fish it for the day. If all goes well, I hope to build a new one early next year. Good luck in your search!
    JC_UF_ITK wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. While I've never fished on an Egret, I have loved the boat for many years. I ended up buying a Lake & Bay Backwater 20 two years ago, but sold it this past week. I loved the boat, but there were a few things that I didn't care for. I've sent an email to Capt. Tommy to set up a charter trip on his Egret in the next few months so that I can not only take a ride on the boat, but fish it for the day. If all goes well, I hope to build a new one early next year. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for all the advise fellas. I will look into scheduling a trip and reaching out to those that offered to speak with me.
    Well I had the great pleasure to speak with Dan (seevee05) for over an hour and I also just left Pete Silot's house after a two hour run down on the amazing Egret 189. I can't thank you both for the time and guidance and advise and history lesson on this boat. If I wasn't sold on it before there isn't any excuse now. Being able to witness the attention to detail firsthand is truly convincing. Once I ride on one I know it will just be icing on the cake. And I'm not really sure I'm ready to unless it was available to buy. Lol. Well everyone please keep me in mind if you find one up for sale. Thanks.
    Life is short! Build a new one! It's only money, make more tomorrow!