Memorial Day Mahi and Marlin? Swordfish?

Went out twice over the Memorial Day weekend. First on Saturday got out early as we knew it was gonna be a busy weekend. Trolled between 100' - 450' with nada. Pushed out deep and found a lot of scattered weeds. Trolled that area for a while and finally got a knockdown. In the box goes a small Mahi. Reset and trolled some more, then within a few minutes a bigger Mahi hits the spread again. Takes to the air and shakes the hook. Saw a big free jumping Marlin in about 800' in the scattered weeds. Pretty cool. Later in the day found a weed line in 900' that seemed to go on forever. A lot of people trolling it but no one seemed to be catching anything.

Decided to go out again on Sunday and didn't seem to have much more luck. Instead of trolling right out of the inlet, we ran straight offshore. Went out pretty far with no definite weed lines at all. In about 600' saw some more scattered weeds and picked up another small Mahi just like the day before. Again in this area saw a huge free jumping Marlin. Kinda weird seeing them but have heard people have been catching them recently so? I know this sounds crazy but this Marlin looked like a SWORDFISH. It was nice and fat and its fin looked exactly like a Swordfish. Call me crazy, but it really looked like a Sword. Anyways, trolling seemed to be dead so we anchored in about 45' and first drop produced a pretty big Porgy. That was it for the day though, so we headed back in after a couple more drops. Not a bad Memorial Day weekend, just wished the fishing wasn't so slow. I think it was a slow weekend for everyone though?

Also got a short little video of one of the Mahi, not the best because my little brother was filming, but could be worth a watch

Replies