Advice About Jig Fishing

gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
I posted this already over on the East Coast forum but haven't had a response so thought I'd try here.

I was watching a fishing show on you tube where they fished a heavy (1/2 oz) jig head with a large (5 in) swim bait on a deep ledge in a shipping channel to catch bull reds. I'm thinking that technique might work at Haulover Canal in Titusville as well during the winter bite. I've never mastered fishing with a jig though so was looking for some advice. Since I wade fish, I would be casting from the spoil shoals into the canal so I'm guessing I would want to cast up current - let it fall to the bottom - then work it back towards me slowly - using the rod tip to pick the jig up 1 to 2 ft off the bottom - then dropping it back down. Do you pop the rod or just lift the bait? Slow/fast retrieve? There are a lot of snags where I would be fishing plus I read somewhere working a jig uphill is difficult. Any tips about technique and jig types that would work in this scenario would be greatly appreciated?

Also, how do you work a jig/zoom fluke/swim bait combo through the grass on flats without hanging it up or catching a ton of grass?

Much appreciated!!
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 823 Officer
    Don't drag it and twitch it. POP IT, a good snap of the rod tip, let it settle for a minute, repeat.
    I use a 1/8 oz pointy jig head and a 4" gulp shrimp.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Don't drag it and twitch it. POP IT, a good snap of the rod tip, let it settle for a minute, repeat.
    I use a 1/8 oz pointy jig head and a 4" gulp shrimp.

Awesome! Thank you!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    Drag it 2-3 turns of the handle and then pop it for flounder. I normally don't let it settle for more than a second or 2. Other wise keep it moving by hoping it of the bottom.
  • BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
    there are a million ways to work a jig. there are entire books dedicated to the subject
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    Sure! Low , slow, medium and fast! Bump! bump bump! bump bump BUMP! bump

mix it up but keep a rhythm.
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    If you let it sit on bottom for too long around here you are sure to get a **** catfish. We drift and bounce them off of the bottom and jig depending on how fast we are drifting.
    BridgeRod wrote: »
    there are a million ways to work a jig. there are entire books dedicated to the subject

That's why I was asking specifically about two scenarios - working a hard bottom channel with snags (trees/coquina rock) that is about 20 foot deep with strong current from a spoil shoal parallel to it - and a shallow (less than 3ft) grass flat with mud/sand bottom.
    Well, I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out but tried a 4 inch paddle tail (chartreuse tail with white belly/silver flake) on a chartreuse 1/8 oz strike king flats jig head but it kept getting hung up in the grass when I tried to jig it so instead I just burned it over the flats using a steady retrieve to keep the jig just barely brushing against the grass tips........no really big fish - but a lot of action with a few keeper trout and a couple of slot size reds plus a whole bunch of rat reds and dink trout. I was surprised by how hard the reds hit.......felt like a snag. I also used some Pro Cure Shrimp Smell..........seems to make them want to eat it!
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,392 Officer
    gettinwet wrote: »
    Well, I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out but tried a 4 inch paddle tail (chartreuse tail with white belly/silver flake) on a chartreuse 1/8 oz strike king flats jig head but it kept getting hung up in the grass when I tried to jig it so instead I just burned it over the flats using a steady retrieve to keep the jig just barely brushing against the grass tips........no really big fish - but a lot of action with a few keeper trout and a couple of slot size reds plus a whole bunch of rat reds and dink trout. I was surprised by how hard the reds hit.......felt like a snag. I also used some Pro Cure Shrimp Smell..........seems to make them want to eat it!

Working a jig through grass changes the game a bit, and you landed on one of the more effective jig methods (paddle tails) with grass. Just burn it over the top with occasional twitch.

The other jigging you'll be able to do through grass that's more fluke specific will be weedless hooks. Pretend you're walking the dog with it below the water and keep your rhythm / timing when you figure out how fast you need to reel to keep it from hanging up.