Home Off Topic

"Scary" or more of the "Sky is Falling" - Your Thoughts?

NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
World On Brink Of Sixth Great Extinction, Species Disappearing Faster Than Ever Before

WASHINGTON (AP) — Species of plants and animals are becoming extinct at least 1,000 times faster than they did before humans arrived on the scene, and the world is on the brink of a sixth great extinction, a new study says.

The study looks at past and present rates of extinction and finds a lower rate in the past than scientists had thought. Species are now disappearing from Earth about 10 times faster than biologists had believed, said study lead author noted biologist Stuart Pimm of Duke University.

"We are on the verge of the sixth extinction," Pimm said from research at the Dry Tortugas. "Whether we avoid it or not will depend on our actions."

The work, published Thursday by the journal Science, was hailed as a landmark study by outside experts.

Pimm's study focused on the rate, not the number, of species disappearing from Earth. It calculated a "death rate" of how many species become extinct each year out of 1 million species.

In 1995, Pimm found that the pre-human rate of extinctions on Earth was about 1. But taking into account new research, Pimm and his colleagues refined that background rate to about 0.1.

Now, that death rate is about 100 to 1,000, Pimm said.

Numerous factors are combining to make species disappear much faster than before, said Pimm and co-author Clinton Jenkins of the Institute of Ecological Research in Brazil. But the No. 1 issue is habitat loss. Species are finding no place to live as more places are built up and altered by humans.

Add to that invasive species crowding out native species, climate change affecting where species can survive, and overfishing, Pimm said.

The buffy-tufted-ear marmoset is a good example, Jenkins said. Its habitat has shrunk because of development in Brazil, and a competing marmoset has taken over where it lives. Now ,it's on the international vulnerable list.

The oceanic white-tip shark used to be one of the most abundant predators on Earth and they have been hunted so much they are now rarely seen, said Dalhousie University marine biologist Boris Worm, who wasn't part of the study but praised it. "If we don't do anything, this will go the way of the dinosaurs."

continue reading here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/sixth-great-extinction-species-disappearing_n_5412571.html

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    said Dalhousie University marine biologist Boris Worm,

Well, there you have it....the king of "the sky is falling" praised it...I'll let you draw your own conclusion what I think.

PS... It's a darn good thing man was not here to stop any of the *other* five mass extinctions...we'd be up to our ****'s in trilobites and T Rex's....:rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I think the world will be fine without the buffy-tufted-ear marmoset, but what do I know??

Chicken little BS.

We still have trilobites, only now they're called horseshoe crabs!!
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    You should give you thoughts before asking for others.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    You should give you thoughts before asking for others.

Thanks for the lesson in 'forum etiquette' daddy....

If I asked, its because I don't know. I do however agree that 7 Billion people and growing on this planet, is putting an enormous strain on our natural resources and natural habitat.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out, as more people are looking for cheap sources of protein, our worlds oceans are under attack by increasing commercial fishing interests.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that Mr. Pimm's comments were coming from research at the Dry Tortugas....I know that bothered me....alot!.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Worm.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Sure would be nice if the trolls went extinct .
    Jr's avatar is getting old
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
    Sure would be nice if the trolls went extinct .
    Jr's avatar is getting old

Ain't that the truth. How long has Cheney been out of the picture?

Wait...am I a troll?
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    this crap gets so old, I have seen articles where they discover new species too does this offset the ones that go instinct?
  • CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
    Worm.

Nah, they got ride of them at the cliff -- remember...
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Anyone want to hear the details of my plan for how to reduce the population of undesirable humans?
    23895.gif
    Yes.

Bring it.
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    Anyone want to hear the details of my plan for how to reduce the population of undesirable humans?

I'm interested Adolph...go on... :hairraiser
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Although I recognize that we don't have a good handle on the actual number of species on this earth or the rate they are evolving, I'm in the "scary" camp.

The better question, at least to me, is what, if anything, should we do about it?
    Tarponator wrote: »
    The better question, at least to me, is what, if anything, should we do about it?

Enjoy the ride....If all of the Earths time was a clock...man has been here less than a minute
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    tankard wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth. How long has Cheney been out of the picture?

Wait...am I a troll?

He's not out of the picture yet.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    I think it's very real.

Not in my lifetime though...
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    I don't believe anything
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,423 Admiral
    Stuart Pimm's credentials bring credibility to his research and his opinions. He has his share of awards and accolades and he his held in high regard by his piers.... at any rate, he knows a great deal more than I do about biology, ecology and the global environment. I am in no way qualified to question his assessments.
    Since I did not read the results of the study, I don't know what it states, I only read the article as stated above.
    The article states that species are disappearing at a rate exponentially greater than before humans inhabited the earth.
    That's not hard for me to believe.
    It also states that the world may be on the "brink" of extinction.
    Since the world has been inhabited by complex organisms for more than 250 million years, the "brink" could put us within a 100,00 years of mass extinction.
    I can't argue with that statement either....
    That's a long time in my paradigm.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    all that's got me thinking even deeper
    That's a long time in my paradigm.

You would benefit by exposing it to the clear light of day.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Popeye wrote: »
    I don't believe anything

At least you have the conviction of your thoughts.

I believe I'll have a beer
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    CatBox wrote: »
    Nah, they got ride of them at the cliff -- remember...

One of my favorites
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    I heard Pimm is a 3r cousin of the other fruit cake.......who is it? Gore
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,497 AG
    World On Brink Of Sixth Great Extinction, Species Disappearing Faster Than Ever Before

WASHINGTON (AP) — Species of plants and animals are becoming extinct at least 1,000 times faster than they did before humans arrived on the scene, and the world is on the brink of a sixth great extinction, a new study says.

The study looks at past and present rates of extinction and finds a lower rate in the past than scientists had thought. Species are now disappearing from Earth about 10 times faster than biologists had believed, said study lead author noted biologist Stuart Pimm of Duke University.

"We are on the verge of the sixth extinction," Pimm said from research at the Dry Tortugas. "Whether we avoid it or not will depend on our actions."

The work, published Thursday by the journal Science, was hailed as a landmark study by outside experts.

Pimm's study focused on the rate, not the number, of species disappearing from Earth. It calculated a "death rate" of how many species become extinct each year out of 1 million species.

In 1995, Pimm found that the pre-human rate of extinctions on Earth was about 1. But taking into account new research, Pimm and his colleagues refined that background rate to about 0.1.

Now, that death rate is about 100 to 1,000, Pimm said.

Numerous factors are combining to make species disappear much faster than before, said Pimm and co-author Clinton Jenkins of the Institute of Ecological Research in Brazil. But the No. 1 issue is habitat loss. Species are finding no place to live as more places are built up and altered by humans.

Add to that invasive species crowding out native species, climate change affecting where species can survive, and overfishing, Pimm said.

The buffy-tufted-ear marmoset is a good example, Jenkins said. Its habitat has shrunk because of development in Brazil, and a competing marmoset has taken over where it lives. Now ,it's on the international vulnerable list.

The oceanic white-tip shark used to be one of the most abundant predators on Earth and they have been hunted so much they are now rarely seen, said Dalhousie University marine biologist Boris Worm, who wasn't part of the study but praised it. "If we don't do anything, this will go the way of the dinosaurs."

continue reading here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/sixth-great-extinction-species-disappearing_n_5412571.html
    The first sentence is very telling and should help you in making your decision.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    I just bought a clothesline.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,883 Captain
    Drawing on my native North Miami,Florida Weekly Reader,Chamber Of Commerce and other learnings circa 1960's..........no doubt The Future Is Rosey!....three day work weeks.The Oceans will feed us.Everglades tamed. Exponential "Growth" to be accommodated by leaps and bounds in technological advancements sure to soundly address "Growth" 'problems'.
    The loss of 'specie' a given,terse acknowledgement to The Advance....and what the heck,even Science would avert Extinction .....even of our own species.
    We were destined to further embrace "Diversity" (specifically, accommodating another but one single race...think about 'dat...)
    The westward expansion of "Miami" clear across the state through Collier lands,to the Gulf likely assumed, but never openly acknowledged-until "The Jet-Port".Big Cypress Preserve.Adition Lands- et al.

We might assume we are still in Catchup Mode

For me, personally,it has been of great insight to ramble,camp,hunt and live among sandhills and creeks that are but 'ancient' spillways flowing out of an ancient tidal pool....and destined to flood again,relatively 'quickly',the vast majority of "Florida" awash.
    So even the foremost Hunter/Outdoor/Fisher driven conservation legacy...or lack thereof.......really does not matter.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    You would benefit by exposing it to the clear light of day.
    How's that?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    How's that?

that's a coleccioism.....

you'll get used to it after a while...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    A "coleccioism"?
    Oh, OK.... I thought it was an "ambiguity".
    Thanks for chiming in and giving it a monicker, although I still don't know what it means, and that's fine.
    I was hoping to get some clarity on his viewpoint, but it's unimportant.
    If I really wanted to know, I suppose I could go back and look at his posts and gain some insight.
    skeptical-environmentalist.jpg