Home Egret Boats

Repowering a 189…

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
It may be time to repower. Even if my HPDI motor is repairable I am thinking of selling it when it is fixed up and replacing it with an ETEC 150 HO. The ETEC has the 5 year warranty going and appears to be more easily serviced in the Keys at Sea Center Big Pine Key. I’ve not even gotten a call back from the local Yammie dealer/repair guy on Big Pine. I may have to trailer the boat back to the Fort Lauderdale Boat center folks that have done all my servicing the last 5 years. I’m open to any suggestions on what and where to buy a new motor. I also would like to find out the value of the 2002 HPDI Vmax with 600 hours. Do I sell as is or fix it and then sell it? The thoughts of others….

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,386 Officer
    I would see what is wrong with it first. Then see how much the repairs would be. Then you can decide if it's better to dump the motor in a working state or not. As far as value can't help there.

Now on the re power situation. I would go with a motor that will have the most reliability and service in your area. I'm a Mercury guy but i would not recommend Optimax the Pro XS for you. But i would recommend the new Mercury 150 4 stroke.It is lighter than the F-150 but heavier than the Etec. They are rock solid and easy to maintenance yourself. I've had the worst experience with my Etec 150 HO. The Yamaha F-150 would be the best replacement since you will have all the rigging already in place.You'll just need to have the motor bolted on and plugged in.The Yamaha motor will cost more than the Mercury but you'll half to swap out all the controls and wiring which could get expensive on labor and parts with the Etec and Merc.

I can recommend Ocean High Performance Marine in Pompano Beach. They do all my service work and are top notch. You can tell them i sent you! They also do re powers and you can get a quote on new motors and service all the above brands mentioned and are fully certified factory mechanics on Mercury Yamaha Evinrude!

http://www.ohpminc.com/

David Piasecki Owner
    (954) 972-6557
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I hated my e tec 150 - I found it loud and crude - I would much rather have a 4 stroke, personally. I have an etec 90 on my current boat, and hate it for the same reasons as the 150. Also, some of the 4 stroke have considerably better fuel economy as well. My 150 pushed my carbon bird to 53 mph. I would look and consider the suzuki 140 - you'd give up some speed, but the zuk's are super smooth, quiet and really fuel efficient. You'd need to see about the dealer situation - but the light weight and silkiness would be worth it to me. The 140 auk weighs 396 lbs vs 419 for the etec.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Have heard good things about Caribee marine @mm 81.5. Yam dealer and not that far from you. 305-664-3431.
    They could diagnose what is wrong w/ current motor and estimate repair;give bid on purchase of motor and provide purchase price for new yam F 150.
    one stop shop.
    I agree that yam replacement is probably cheaper because of gauges and rigging.I think 4 year warranty.
    Good luck
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    I have had zero issues with my 150 E-Tec motors. I have owned 4 of them in the last 5 years. Two Egrets with them and one Ameracat Cat boat with two.They are way quieter than a Merc Opti but louder than the Zuki. You are on the right track. Find a dealer you trust and buy the brand they have. Most of the new outboard are good.

I would fix the Yamaha and sell it off the back of your boat so you can demo it if you do not trade it in. The motor is worth parts value if its not working. If it costs more than $900 dollars to fix it I would consider selling it for parts. I do not think you will get more than 2k for it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    Phil, I was very surprised to see you say you would not recommend the Mercury Optimax. I always thought you were very pleased with that motor. Did it give you some problems prior to selling it?

I love everything about my F150 on my 189 except the weight. I do give up some draft with it but I have dual powerpoles and tend to run a full livewell a lot so that is a big part of the low sitting stern. That being said I would probably do the F175 (same weight as F150) if I was repowering tomorrow. I love the weight savings of the Suzuki but service would be an issue in my area.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    You are not a big speed guy so a smaller engine will work fine on your boat. Bryan has the zuke 4 stroke 140 on his 189 and its been great for him. Plus he gets about 2" more draft than mine. We did a side by side compare one day. Top speed is about 42-45 or so he says with it depending on the load. You wills save some on the rigging if you get another yammi but remember the parts are about 3x as much as the mercs. Not sure about parts and service for zukes. I have heard a mixed bag of stories on the etecs. Some rave about them and others dislike them. Definitely get a deal with a full 5 yr warranty. Call me to discuss shopping. I got my engine from a dealer on line and had it shipped to a local dealer to install and saved a ton on the engine cost.
    Once it's fixed, put it up on Keys area Craigs list (free) and maybe you could get $1500 or $2,000 for it quickly.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Too bad the SHO 150 weighs 480.... That'd make that bird fly!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    FYI Michael, the Suzuki has a 6 year warranty. Motor has been outstanding, and it literally sips fuel.
    You are not a big speed guy so a smaller engine will work fine on your boat. Bryan has the zuke 4 stroke 140 on his 189 and its been great for him. Plus he gets about 2" more draft than mine. We did a side by side compare one day. Top speed is about 42-45 or so he says with it depending on the load. You wills save some on the rigging if you get another yammi but remember the parts are about 3x as much as the mercs. Not sure about parts and service for zukes. I have heard a mixed bag of stories on the etecs. Some rave about them and others dislike them. Definitely get a deal with a full 5 yr warranty. Call me to discuss shopping. I got my engine from a dealer on line and had it shipped to a local dealer to install and saved a ton on the engine cost.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Phil, I was very surprised to see you say you would not recommend the Mercury Optimax. I always thought you were very pleased with that motor. Did it give you some problems prior to selling it

The Mercury Optimax 175 Pro XS is a amazing motor for the right situation and operator running the boat. This particular boat and operator would benefit more from another motor like a 4 stroke. It has nothing to do with that model just his needs and wants.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The Mercury Optimax 175 Pro XS is a amazing motor for the right situation and operator running the boat. This particular boat and operator would benefit more from another motor like a 4 stoke. It has nothing to do with that model just his needs and wants.

I rode a 189 with a 175 pro xs.... That girl was quick and incredibly responsive.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I rode a 189 with a 175 pro xs.... That girl was quick and incredibly responsive.
    I see that Suzi makes a 150 so why does everyone tout the 140?
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I see that Suzi makes a 150 so why does everyone tout the 140?

Perhaps a weight difference? Not sure. I the 150 is not more than about 400 lbs and has the long warranty, check it out..
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Perhaps a weight difference? Not sure. I the 150 is not more than about 400 lbs and has the long warranty, check it out..

Weight

The 140 weighs 396, the 150 weighs 474lbs and the 175 weighs 474 as well. Also, look at the performance and boat test reports - they are seriously economical to run
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    Not worth the extra weight for 10 HP more. The draft is better on the 140 (actual HP 139)for a flats boat. If you want a 150 get the F150 Yamaha. It has 160 HP at the prop. The 140 should be good for you. You never go to far from the nest.
    It turns out my Racor was filled with mostly water even though I do not use ethanol! No damage done according to the tech. Condensation is to blame. Thanks to Davey Wilson who set me up with the guides mechanic in Islamorada. I’ve still not gotten a call back from the 3 local yammie shops in the lower keys! Irony, sure I do it. The mechanic turns out to be the son of my old mechanic who works with the mobile service. I will look into the Suzi over at Sea Center on Big Pine. I’m told by several of their customers they return calls!!!
    Did they drain the boat fuel tank and filter the fuel to see if you had more water in there?
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Did they drain the boat fuel tank and filter the fuel to see if you had more water in there?

No they did not. I am checking the Racor daily so there is no repeat. I also stopped at the local Yammie Tech and it turns out his elderly father in law was answering the phone and not relaying messages. I bought 6 spark plugs and he told me to call him if I needed anything done in the future. So if nothing else I established a relationship with the local Yammie tech. Lemonade!
    I’m back in the water and will be chasing some Poons tomorrow!
    Are you buying a new motor still?
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Are you buying a new motor still?

I’m going to look at the Suzuki after Tarpon season.
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Mike,
    Two things to consider other than maintenance locations.
    The additional weight of the 150 or 175, which is substantial by the way, as I did consider that option. The other is that you will need a reasonably high poling platform, as the engines have a lot more height than the 140.
    Trust me, unless power and speed are your priorities, the 140 is the perfect weight to power ratio for the boat. Take heed to what PeteS has to say on the matter, as he has absolutely the best handle on the weight distribution of the boat. Not just the transom weight, but as all weights in the boat relate to how it balances over the power range.
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I’m going to look at the Suzuki after Tarpon season.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    If the water showed up the first time you used the boat in a couple of months I could believe condensation as the source but aren't you running the boat several times a week right now? Get that vent up off the deck or you'll be making Kool-aid with your Racor water while you wait for Sea-Tow...

I found my Merc Opti to be very prone to overheating in the Keys. The least little puff of mud at idle and the compressor cooling circuit starts to over heat. I'm constantly poking leader into the pee hole to keep the motor going. I don't think it's going to strand me but it's not much fun having a dozen alarms a day if I should touch bottom leaving the dock.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Off topic, but with regards to your alarms, I was getting them too on my Opti ProXS. Turned out there is an internal strainer that had gotten slightly clogged with grass like debris that Frank found while I had it serviced in NC. He mentioned it was in a difficult to get to spot. Since it has been cleaned, I have had no more alerts in over a year and I run in a very muddy area. You may want to speak with him as I am sure he will likely remember the issue.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    I found my Merc Opti to be very prone to overheating in the Keys.
    Sounds like your compressor cooling water strainer is clogged with shells or other debris. Cleaning it is part of annual maintenance.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Sounds like your compressor cooling water strainer is clogged with shells or other debris. Cleaning it is part of annual maintenance.

I also expect that's what it is. My outrageously expensive first service did appear to include replacing that part so I've been on top of it. Unfortunately my experience is that cleaning the strainer is part of every trip maintenance in the Keys if the prop touches any mud . It's also not really feasible to access on the water. I think my old EFI would cool itself with damp mud so it will take a little getting used to the fact I need to worry about getting near soft bottom.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/319489-how-thread-w-pics-cleaning-your-optimax-compressor-cooling-water-strainer.html#b

IMHO we're not off topic much if at all, as the functionality of a particular motor in a particular situation is relevant to the discussion.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I will say that since cleaned it has been perfect for over 100 hours. And as one knows, 10K is all about idling through mud.

Find me a four stroke with the weight/power/torque/fuel economy of the Optimax and I'll fist fight for it.
    mbowers wrote: »
    I also expect that's what it is. My outrageously expensive first service did appear to include replacing that part so I've been on top of it. Unfortunately my experience is that cleaning the strainer is part of every trip maintenance in the Keys if the prop touches any mud . It's also not really feasible to access on the water. I think my old EFI would cool itself with damp mud so it will take a little getting used to the fact I need to worry about getting near soft bottom.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/319489-how-thread-w-pics-cleaning-your-optimax-compressor-cooling-water-strainer.html#b

IMHO we're not off topic much if at all, as the functionality of a particular motor in a particular situation is relevant to the discussion.

My Thread and it is ok with me! Any statements on any motor is welcome. Martin, what do you mean get the vent off the deck???
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I will say that since cleaned it has been perfect for over 100 hours. And as one knows, 10K is all about idling through mud.
    Same here. I clogged mine within five miles first time out and never again since (430 hours). However, I do find some debris in there when doing annual service. Yes, I service my own outboards...
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I have had only two boats. One had a 4 stroke Yamaha , my current boat (egret 189) has an Evinrude, 150HO.
    I bought it used ( frank russo) and was disappointed that it didn't have a Yamaha.
    It didn't take long for that to change.
    I can't tell you how good or bad the fuel consumption is or if I factored in the oil the cost per hr. But I can tell you that I love this unit.
    It isn't temperamental in mud , it is not smelly, it is not noisy , and I have had this running at 55 mph loaded with my wife aboard.
    I have to add I weigh 160 lbs.wet. It gets up in a hurry and so far it has been a pleasure to run.....even shifts into gear softly.
    Good luck with your choice.....
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Larry418 wrote: »
    I have had only two boats. One had a 4 stroke Yamaha , my current boat (egret 189) has an Evinrude, 150HO.
    I bought it used ( frank russo) and was disappointed that it didn't have a Yamaha.
    It didn't take long for that to change.
    I can't tell you how good or bad the fuel consumption is or if I factored in the oil the cost per hr. But I can tell you that I love this unit.
    It isn't temperamental in mud , it is not smelly, it is not noisy , and I have had this running at 55 mph loaded with my wife aboard.
    I have to add I weigh 160 lbs.wet. It gets up in a hurry and so far it has been a pleasure to run.....even shifts into gear softly.
    Good luck with your choice.....

how heavy is the 150HO?