Flamingo/ Everglades National Park "Trade"

Hello FS,

I have been out on the water for the past four weekends fishing down in the ENP with relatively great success. No, I am not here to brag...but I have mostly just been fishing out front, not really snake bight, just not in the back-country at all.

Tomorrow I am lucky enough to have the day off, and plan to take my little brother fishing, while he is down from college, and it seems the bite on the inside is great..my proposition is this:

I would really like to explore the back-country again, but it is really daunting- I would like to privately exchange an outside report, for a back-country report…. I don’t want to just come on here and ask for advice without having anything to offer, so I figured this would help.

If anyone knows who what when and where it is ‘going off’ in the backcountry, I can help point you in the right direction on the ‘outside’.

Believe me, anything would be GREATLY appreciated. I am just a catch and release weekend warrior,not a pirate going out for pounds of fish.... and anything you can share will not only be protected, but fished respectfully.

Replies

• HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    :rotflmao
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • YakerLGYakerLG Posts: 129 Deckhand
    thanks HA for your insight
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    YakerLG wrote: »

It's exactly like fishing the outside, just more shoreline to cast at.
    YakerLG wrote: »

LOL. There's fish everywhere. Hit spots close to the channels where there's current.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,219 Officer
    Humpinit wrote: »
    It's exactly like fishing the outside, just more shoreline to cast at.

fishing conchie channel outfront is almost like fishing the shark river inside. :banana

hope this helps ;)
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    thank you for the responses, backcountry is new to me, and its extremely daunting when you have not had someone with a ton of experience put the puzzle together any faster.

everyone talks about sweat equity, sure, its more fun that way- but frustrating when after a few hour transit you just cant put any in the boat...
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    take your time and get a good chart of where you want to fish and then fish the tides and the points that look the best to you. have a great time you will catch on fast
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    Jig the bottom...Have fun.GL
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    fishing conchie channel outfront is almost like fishing the shark river inside. :banana

hope this helps ;)

Well yeah it is. It was a simple answer. The outside is only different due to the fact that the channels are hidden and there is a lot more flats. I didn't want to go into technical poling and drift fishing and what have you. The inside is a lot more newbie friendly as long as you don"t get lost or run out of gas.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    watch the skinny water and tide above all! ..a jig of all sorts and shrimp..
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    OK these guys aren't giving anything. So here it is...Follow Bob Lemay:grin No don't do that!

Actually...here's a few places that have worked for me:

The Sticks, Tims Island, Orchid Island, Walmart, The Parking Lot, The Garage, Pete's Cove, Mike's Cove, Across the Street, The Live Bait Spot, Tarpon Island, Pete's Stick, The Nursury, Texas and the Secret Spot!

Yes these are all places! Tight Lines... Pete
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Officer
    Fish the mouth of the little shark river on the tide change.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
    if you get the FS hot spot map for Flamingo it will help you. has the species listed for different areas in the back. it can also be used for navigation and you can ID islands if you're paying attention to it as you go. anyone been to Hell's Bay lately? I've never been and want to try it.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • PoonPoon Posts: 79 Deckhand
    OK these guys aren't giving anything. So here it is...Follow Bob Lemay:grin No don't do that!

Actually...here's a few places that have worked for me:

The Sticks, Tims Island, Orchid Island, Walmart, The Parking Lot, The Garage, Pete's Cove, Mike's Cove, Across the Street, The Live Bait Spot, Tarpon Island, Pete's Stick, The Nursury, Texas and the Secret Spot!

Yes these are all places! Tight Lines... Pete

These are all solid spots! Have a few more that may assist - Super Secret Snake Bight Weekends Cove, Super Super Secret East Cape Canal, The Other Live Bait Spot, The Catfish Hole, Her Hole (my personal favorite), The Marina....

Or, just do what I do, follow the Hells Bay's - those guys must know what they're doing, right?

Sorry, it's been too long since I've been out. ( :
    **** wrote: »
    These are all solid spots! Have a few more that may assist - Super Secret Snake Bight Weekends Cove, Super Super Secret East Cape Canal, The Other Live Bait Spot, The Catfish Hole, Her Hole (my personal favorite), The Marina....

Or, just do what I do, follow the Hells Bay's - those guys must know what they're doing, right?

Sorry, it's been too long since I've been out. ( :

LOL. I agree, follow the most rigged out expensive skiffs that come through the gates. Looking the part is half the battle.
    Humpinit wrote: »
    LOL. I agree, follow the most rigged out expensive skiffs that come through the gates. Looking the part is half the battle.

thank you all for the help. I ended up sticking with what I knew, and hit the outside despite unfavorable winds mid morning.

managed some big trout and smaller snook. did not land any reds for the first time in a long time, but we did see them(albeit too late)