Home Tropics

Bimini around mini season - Crowded?

mikey111kmikey111k Posts: 34 Greenhorn
Hey everyone. I am planning a trip to Bimini from Miami. I usually go in mid August but scheduling has us thinking about going over for the weekend of July 26/27. We are planning to go over for three nights staying at Bimini Sands (Thursday to Sunday or Friday to Monday - not sure which yet). This is the weekend before mini season. Does it get pretty busy? We would be out of there before mini season.

Thanks
Michael

Replies

• Gooch23Gooch23 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    I'm pretty sure mini season is only here in the states.
  • mikey111kmikey111k Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Really? Can anyone confirm this?

I just assumed they had it over there. You know what they say when you assume.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    bahamas season opens up at the same time that the season starts in florida.

• biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    alacrity wrote: »
    bahamas season opens up at the same time that the season starts in florida.

Season over there opens august 1, yes busy, sundance marine usually has 25 boats that occupy the sands that weekend
  • TwotallTwotall Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Gooch23 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure mini season is only here in the states.

There is NO lobster mini season in the Bahamas. Regular season opens Aug 1
  • mikey111kmikey111k Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess the weekend i am looking at will be no different than any other weekend.

I didn't know that Bahamas lobster season opened earlier than in the states. Definitely avoiding the weekend of August 2nd and 3rd.

After looking up the season I noticed that they have 2 requirements for lobster size. Since the tail length is a regulation are you allowed to remove the carapace and only have tails on board?

Also where can you buy measuring sticks for the Bahamian size of 3-3/8", or for measuring the 6" tail?

Learn something new everyday.

Michael
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    Florida always does the last Wed and Thurs of July for mini and regular season about a week later. Bahama always on the calender for Aug 1.

No need to worry about the recs in Bahamas, just don't hit the bank after the mother ships get that area. nothing left alive anywhere!!!

And since you can spear them in Bahamas, no need to keep full lobster if tail is 6"
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 287 Deckhand
    Florida regular lobster season opens on August 6th.
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.