Titusville (Indian River Lagoon) 5/25

Made it out at first light this morning - I knew the trout bite was going to be on the minute I stepped in the water because glass minnows were everywhere. Overcast, slight breeze to my back, fishing the potholes/creek mouths on eastern shore of the Indian River lagoon near Catfish creek. Broke in a new topwater plug - I usually throw a Skitterwalk but couldn't find the size I wanted so tried out a Top Dog Jr (chartreuse and white). Had a strike on my first cast - and a strike or follow on just about every other cast after that for about the first hour or so. Only two were worth talking about - one gator close to eight pounds - and another over five - plus a whole bunch of schoolies mixed with a few slots - and I missed more then I caught. Was off the water by 1PM (and the bite really ended before noon).

The water was pretty clear (into the wind stirred up the bottom later) - and the grass was growing pretty well (still patchy in places but the best I've seen it in a couple of years). Also, saw a bunch of manatees and a couple of alligators. Just another day in paradise!

Tight lines all!
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 318 Deckhand
    Trout bite was definitely on this past weekend. So much so that they were getting to the lures before any redfish had a chance to hit. Haven't had a day like that in a while...
  • Lilmatty5dimesLilmatty5dimes Posts: 46 Deckhand
    how bad are the alligators?
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 884 Officer
    Very Awesome!! Yes The clarity is amazing, 8ft deep and near the channel you can see the grass patches again. Two weeks ago the trout bite got hot around 1:30pm for us over in that area.
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif