Home General Freshwater Fishing

lunkerhunt lunker frog

Curious who has tried these and what there thoughts are.

Replies

• StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    Went to the neighborhood pond and tried it for about 10 minutes. Still need more time using it to learn the bait and how to make adjustments. At first it kept making a hard right every time I twitched it. Once I got that straightened out, I noticed that if I twitched it along the bank then reeled it in, it would dive under the water and spin (I think I might have to use braid instead of mono.)

Despite these minor issues, I did have 4 hits but unfortunately they all slapped or rolled on the bait none really inhaled it.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,918 Admin
    These?

I haved not used these yet, double hook and all looks interesting.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc
    Old Bahama Bay (Owner / Board of Directors) 

• FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    I have not used them. I just don't care for that style frog because I think you get better action with one with a skirt like a Booyah Pad Crasher, easy to walk and they look good and they cost about $6 and they seem to last for a long time.
    Docked Wages that's the one I'm talking about. And FishaHallic you're probably right. Look incredibly realistic when it works correctly. Thinking I need more time on the water to decide if I like it or not.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,317 Moderator
    They are not easy to get a hook up using mono. I have trouble using braid on hollow frog baits.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    I admit it does look nice in the water when the legs are kickin but I read some stuff on Tackle Warehouse in the comments section for that frog and it got mixed reaction at best. You can read the comments here http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lunkerhunt_Lunker_Frog/descpage-LHLKRFG.html . All hollow body frogs will fill with water some but it sounds like it may be an issue with this model and not to mention the legs ripping off easily. I am sure it is a decent frog but I will stick with the Pad Crasher, if you have not tried one, you should.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I have one I try regularly, switching between a couple of other frogs. Only fish I caught on a hollow frog was with the lunker. The fish devoured it and for the first time, I didn't panic and set the hook early. Cast, twitch and wait a few seconds. That was the key. Happened while I was screwing around late at night.

Lost my spro popping frog and a couple others. That got expensive quickly. Haven't had much luck since but I need to try some different places besides the canals around here.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So far the SPRO frog is the only one that I've had any success with. The Lunkerhunt looks great around pads. I do notice that it takes on water a lot quicker than the SPRO.

Yeah I read a bunch of reviews and definitely get a bunch of mixed reviews. On Youtube there are a couple videos of guys catching some slobs on them.

I'll have to check out the padcrasher and give it a try. Thanks