Home Classifieds: Hunting and Shooting

Selling tips

Hey Guys..

Since FS doesn't seem to be in any hurry to add a feedback system to improve the security of the classifieds, I thought I'd add a few things to help us all.
I've bought/sold a bit of stuff on Archery Talk and eBay, and I thought I'd list few things we can do to help sell our stuff.

#1. Pictures, Pictures and more pictures.
This is self explanatory. Every picture is worth a thousand words. Items being sold that have sharp, clear photos sell twice as fast as an item that has only a description. If you don't know how to post pictures, simply PM me and I will edjumicate you!

#2. Be as accurate as possible with the description of what you are selling. No one wants to be misled. And no one wants to be harassed after the sale.

#3. List where you are. We understand. You don't want people knowing where you live. You don't need to get as detailed as your street or house number. Just a city or county will suffice.

#4 Check your thread. Folks will have questions about the item you're selling. Timely answers go a long way.

And finally..

#5. Price your item and don't get offended when someone sends you a low offer. Simply say "no thanks", and move on. No reason to get uptight. We're all looking for a deal.
DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Replies

• flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    #5. And let the buyers know when it is sold so we don't waste are time...

flydown wrote: »
    Hey Guys..

Since FS doesn't seem to be in any hurry to add a feedback system to improve the security of the classifieds, I thought I'd add a few things to help us all.
    I've bought/sold a bit of stuff on Archery Talk and eBay, and I thought I'd list few things we can do to help sell our stuff.

#1. Pictures, Pictures and more pictures.
    This is self explanatory. Every picture is worth a thousand words. Items being sold that have sharp, clear photos sell twice as fast as an item that has only a description. If you don't know how to post pictures, simply PM me and I will edjumicate you!

#2. Be as accurate as possible with the description of what you are selling. No one wants to be misled. And no one wants to be harassed after the sale.

#3. List where you are. We understand. You don't want people knowing where you live. You don't need to get as detailed as your street or house number. Just a city or county will suffice.

And finally..

#4. Price your item and don't get offended when someone sends you a low offer. Simply say "no thanks", and move on. No reason to get uptight. We're all looking for a deal.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    flhooker wrote: »
    #5. And let the buyers know when it is sold so we don't waste are time...

Thanks, flhooker.

Meant to cover that. Unlike most forums with classifieds, FS doesn't offer a "Close Thread" option. So yes, please tell people when your item has sold.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,318 Officer
    This is the best thread in the For Sale area
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Well done & I like your saying.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • unclejimunclejim Posts: 24 Deckhand
    Thanks for your help. Pictures posted fine.
    unclejim wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. Pictures posted fine.

Happy to help!
    Just one more..

When making an offer on an item listed in the classfieds, it is always best to make your offer through a PM rather than post it on the thread.
  • jamesfreddycjamesfreddyc Posts: 960 Officer
    Heck man, you gotsta do a video review of your item too! With a dancing banana

:banana
    B2B/Direct Sales Opportunity for SaaS/Cloud Software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?43261-B2B-Direct-Sales-Opportunity
  • novomarinenovomarine Posts: 145 Officer
    Absolutely!!!!!!!

Just one more..

When making an offer on an item listed in the classfieds, it is always best to make your offer through a PM rather than post it on the thread.
    Heck man, you gotsta do a video review of your item too! With a dancing banana

:banana

Typical Jamesfreddy.. Always taking things to the next level! Lol!!
  • jamesfreddycjamesfreddyc Posts: 960 Officer
    Typical Jamesfreddy.. Always taking things to the next level! Lol!!

Well, there is marketing and there is sales. The dancing banana just seals the deal. heh!
    B2B/Direct Sales Opportunity for SaaS/Cloud Software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?43261-B2B-Direct-Sales-Opportunity
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    Moderators...

This should be a sticky on all Buy/Sell Forums.

Just sayin'...
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    Moderators...

Just sayin'...

I appreciate that, but transparently, I'd prefer to see FS add buyer/seller feedback and the ability to close a thread after an item has sold, over this being a sticky.
    Bump for a few new sellers
    TTT
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    Moderators...

Just sayin'...

X2
    bump
    -Jon
    TTT
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I appreciate that, but transparently, I'd prefer to see FS add buyer/seller feedback and the ability to close a thread after an item has sold, over this being a sticky.

^THIS^
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Reel, I have sent messages to the moderators of this forum and haven't gotten any responses in regards to feedback or thread tools.
    One more thing. If you list something for sale, please check back often. People often have questions about the item you're selling.

Kinda like this: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?177193-Browning-270-Winchester-short-mag
    Check your thread tip added.
  • BeermanBeerman Posts: 696 Officer
    I tried to be made the mod so I could get this place semi good, but was ignored. I give up
    Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

image.php?u=77&type=sigpic&dateline=1307501811
    Beerman wrote: »
    I tried to be made the mod so I could get this place semi good, but was ignored. I give up

My pleas have also fallen on deaf ears.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I'm just tired of people asking for what they paid new - or should have paid NEW for the gun in the first place.

Anyone can find out what the best price for the gun and the scope are online. A $100 discount on a used gun & scope is pitiful. Some people will buy, so be patient. Just gotta wait for the ignorant carp to eat your bait.

The $1,000 accessory don't mean much to most folks. A $400 gun and $150 scope = $550, not the $550 rilfe + $250 scope + $1,000 stock paid. Get a grip - would you pay sticker price for a car? Neither would you for a gun. How about a car with $5,000 rims? The rims get tossed in the equation cause they really don't mean anything to most folks... Most of us would put standard rims back on there not to look like a circus freak.

PEOPLE WAKE UP! You can not beat the system in the computer age. Especially with lousy optics or aftermarket "stuff".

Let me give you a hint - if you paid less than $400, your optics are probably only good or less. Quality seems to run about $400-$600 these days. It has to be Leupold VX-3 equivalent or better to be any good - IMO. You can hunt past legal shooting time - PS the cheap 50 mm scopes do not beat quality 40 or even 32 mm scopes.

Put a fair value on your sales item and it will sell. Bottom line. Try for what you paid and you will wait, and wait, and wait. Why would I buy your junk when I can get the new gun with MY choice of optics?

Think about it. Say a $1,000 sales price includes cheap glass. You buy it and discard or sell the glass (not what you want or believe is adequate) for say $150. Now we are at $850 for the gun and still need to scope it. The scope costs $500. Ends the purchase at $1350. You can buy it new with your glass for $1500. What do you do? Buy someone else's "problem" or buy new?

What about a $350 LCP? Includes CT laser. or you can spend $320 and put a $200 aftermarket laser on there. Hello? Why would you buy it for $500 if you can get it new for $350? (Just saw a flier the other day)

Just blowing off some steam. Either people did it wrong and paid too much...or they are trying to recoup everything on a sold & used "as-is" item. Bleh.