Home Tropics

Abacos report: Venturesome stolen

VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
Hey all,
I wanted to get this out because I wanted to control the story with the facts so there is no question about what happened.....
We have been here for three weeks on our annual trip to lubbers.
Saturday night may 17 between 11pm and 6:30 am she was stolen from our dock.

The lubbers community ( army is a better description) mobilized! Within 30 minutes of finding her missing,
We had three boats with guys , all neighbors of ours, heading out to search..... I was on one boat with one of my good friends.....
We all headed to the east shore of great abaco, The mangrove areas way up in there. We coordinated all on VHF.
At the same time, back on lubbers, an airplane was offered by another neighbor, abacos cruisers net was notified, and BASRA was in the loop with marsh harbor police....
At about 8am my friend and I found her tucked way way back hidden in shallow water just floating next to some mangroves...
I video'd all of this...
They got the new 300's of course, but they were not cut. Just unbolted so hull is pristine. In fact zero damage.
They didn't touch electronics. Just stereo control head....
Boat was towed. Batteries were never turned on. So we are really lucky we found her that fast and in perfect shape minus the motors.
Ed and I towed her to boat harbor and did all the police stuff. CSI got a bunch of prints so hopefully they will find them.
THE LESSON FOR ME: this community on lubbers kicks ****. Great neighbors who have each others back and in minutes mobilized !!!
So that's the real story and I wanted to get it out there myself....

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?155632-Abacos-report-Venturesome-Stolen#ixzz32A5vRAIc
2392.jpg

Replies

• biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Glad you got it back. Was it locked? Just curious, I now always lock no matter where.
  • GO2ABACOGO2ABACO Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    It won't matter how many prints they took even if they do arrest anyone there will not be a conviction.Glad you got your boat back but the Bahamas has to have one of the most corrupt police forces in the Carribean.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    glad you got her back in good shape. engines and stereo can be replaced.. hearing about a great bunch of people always makes some people smile..
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Wow! So sorry to hear about this Steve. I know you guys are making lemonade out of lemons now.
  • RocknreelnRocknreeln Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Sux.....Do you have that YCOP thing? Seems that having it can deter allot of thieves cuz the advertisement says the motors are virtually useless---except maybe for parts. Sorry for your loss.

I wonder if it makes sense to Call Yamaha Motor Corp. and let them know the serial numbers and to state they were stolen.
  • lt20lt20 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Sorry to hear. At least you found the boat and got most of your trip in.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 526 Officer
    Hey all,
    I wanted to get this out because I wanted to control the story with the facts so there is no question about what happened.....
    We have been here for three weeks on our annual trip to lubbers.
    Saturday night may 17 between 11pm and 6:30 am she was stolen from our dock.

The lubbers community ( army is a better description) mobilized! Within 30 minutes of finding her missing,
    We had three boats with guys , all neighbors of ours, heading out to search..... I was on one boat with one of my good friends.....
    We all headed to the east shore of great abaco, The mangrove areas way up in there. We coordinated all on VHF.
    At the same time, back on lubbers, an airplane was offered by another neighbor, abacos cruisers net was notified, and BASRA was in the loop with marsh harbor police....
    At about 8am my friend and I found her tucked way way back hidden in shallow water just floating next to some mangroves...
    I video'd all of this...
    They got the new 300's of course, but they were not cut. Just unbolted so hull is pristine. In fact zero damage.
    They didn't touch electronics. Just stereo control head....
    Boat was towed. Batteries were never turned on. So we are really lucky we found her that fast and in perfect shape minus the motors.
    Ed and I towed her to boat harbor and did all the police stuff. CSI got a bunch of prints so hopefully they will find them.
    THE LESSON FOR ME: this community on lubbers kicks ****. Great neighbors who have each others back and in minutes mobilized !!!
    So that's the real story and I wanted to get it out there myself....

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?155632-Abacos-report-Venturesome-Stolen#ixzz32A5vRAIc

First of all good to know you are both safe. Motors etc can be replaced . People can't especially great ones like you.