Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing reports

Most of the fishing reports say"Fishing ok to good." One report in Naples News
said fishing slow was but averaging 3-6 reds,most are smaller slot,a few small snook
and jump one or two tarpon per trip.
I enjoy catching reds,probably my boat caught 150 last year;Mar.-Mar.After
March2014,one red.So,I have a rough idea where reds have always been,but
there not there anymore.Tarpon,same story,Should be here,no more.
So question is it me,should I start using bait and hooks or is everyone
else having similar situations?

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,273 Officer
    I am having similar situation. Fish has been poor in my usual spots. I have caught some good reds but they have been few and far between. I have really had to hunt for fish and when I do find them and return, they are gone or just not biting. I fish with artificial baits only. The people I have talked to are having poor results.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    I tell you fellows, I love fishing Artie's, and do a lot of that myself when not on charters, but sometimes it's hard to beat gods all naturals and it's a great shortcut to get back in tune with what's going on. The fishing has gotten steadily better and more consistent for me over the past few weeks, so keep trying, they are there. I will say this year I have caught way more snook than reds, completely opposite of last year.

Fish the Everglades and 10,000 islands with Hopefishing.com. Also offering multiple day all inclusive fishing/camping trips
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    Thanks. I always appreciate the info you provide.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • gmc2500gmc2500 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    I will say that the fishing has been very unsteady and not typical of what most of us are used to for this time of year but then again neither has our weather patterns! I think as soon as our weather conditions stabilize and get back on a normal pattern the fishing should turn on! I was out twice this week out of choko on monday and thursday and both day were night and day difference! The hard east winds for the last week actually made for some cleaner water on monday along alot of the shorelines from rabbit key down to buzzard key and managed to catch some nice reds and snook on top water and soaking ladyfish chunks! Thursday was not so great as most of you could imagine with a sw wind in the morning which had all the outside muddied up but i just tucked up inside the backcoutry and fished some oyster bars and deeper troughs with decent success! I managed to get two beauty reds off some oyster bars, a couple trout and a few small snook in the deeper troughs! Sometimes it is hard to step out of the comfort box but thats what i did on thursday and it paid off in my opinion! Looks like into next week it should be getting pretty nice..., c'mon fishing gods help us out!!
  • CaptHouseCaptHouse Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Yes, I agree. Slower this year. Working hard to find fish. But I am confident that it will pick up once the winds die down a bit. Looking forward to running on the outside and hunting some different species. Thanks for all this info and a big thanks to the contributors!
    Always an adventure with Captain House! 10,000 islands fishing guide - Hail me on channel 16 "Captain House C'mon!" www.Capt-House.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] youtube-icon-small.gif Check Out My YouTube Channel
    ejusequm.jpg

That's what I've been waiting on. I see a permit in my future.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    What marine weather source do you use on your smartphone Capt. Charlie?
    dtobias wrote: »
    What marine weather source do you use on your smartphone Capt. Charlie?

Capt, I think it's just called marine weather. Pretty good app and is usually kinda close with the actual conditions.4unu8u7e.jpg
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,639 Captain
    I've been seeing similar stuff to the south of y'all as well. The weather these past two months has all the fish turned around (at least that's my excuse). We've had some great days - but entirely too many of the other kind, where nothing is where it's supposed to be...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Last weekend was very good for me.
    Plenty of bait,threads and pilchards; fish were biting.
    Hot as hell; skeeters biting,no/low wind in the mornings.
    I think we turned the corner
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 891 Officer
    I agree,was at one of my favorite bays south of Goodland and 4reds,2 black drum and endless
    small mangroves.For the mangroves,keep moving to a pt.and there would be one or two keepers.
    Fishing south of Marco Saturday and the activity is picking up. Caught nice red, several undersized snook, and a two flounder, one being 25 inches. Lost one good sized snook that cut me off in the mangroves. Also got mangrove snapper, mackerel, and numerous hits that got off. Lots of fun.
  • KittykillerKittykiller Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Fished Gordon's pass Friday night. Clean water just outside the pass, caught a handful of nice snook 23" - 25" on live shrimp. Could not find white bait though, tried the marker to no avail. I am thinking of running to the pier next time but don't know the etiquette of throwing a net from a boat at the pier. don't really want a lead weight chucked at my dome. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 148 Deckhand
    Bait around Marco has been plentiful - but tiny. Too small to use. Usually better this time of year from what I remember. I need to throw in some kind of Pilchard Miracle Grow next time down. :)
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Bait south of Choko has been scarce this past week. Inshore bite continues to be slow overall and inconsistent.

T-storm season kicked off with a vengeance last Wednesday and has hammered us ever since.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Bait south of Choko has been scarce this past week. Inshore bite continues to be slow overall and inconsistent.

T-storm season kicked off with a vengeance last Wednesday and has hammered us ever since.

Ugh, part of me likes the afternoon rain, wash the bugs out, but hate loosing half my fishing time. Need to get down out of EC soon.