12wt?

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 823 Officer
Looking to get a new 12wt rod. The old one just isn't cutting it for me so I want to see what you all recommend. I use it mainly for fishing for tarpon from the beach but so for big snook on bridges and I want to start taking it offshore with me more often for mahi, sails,cobia, tuna, and maybe even try to pull up a few bottom species. Prices isn't that much of a problem but I would prefer not to go over $700. As always I will accept free guided trips to test the rod you recommend and I would like the GPS #'s to your favorite fishing hole as well haahha.

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    You should check out "Catch it" below under the tabor etc for sale. He has a G Loomis GLX 12wt at a great price.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Looking to get a new 12wt rod. The old one just isn't cutting it for me so I want to see what you all recommend. I use it mainly for fishing for tarpon from the beach but so for big snook on bridges and I want to start taking it offshore with me more often for mahi, sails,cobia, tuna, and maybe even try to pull up a few bottom species. Prices isn't that much of a problem but I would prefer not to go over $700. As always I will accept free guided trips to test the rod you recommend and I would like the GPS #'s to your favorite fishing hole as well haahha.

I would buy a brand new Sage Xi3 12 wt -4 peice.......or

If I wanted to save some doe and put more money into a good reel, I would buy the Loomis 12wt GLX that Saltybum recomended...great bargain...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    IMO, a good stiff 10 wt. is all you need for offshore around Florida. All the species you mentioned, could be taken on such a stick. My personal favorite is the Loomis IMX Mega 10, which is only 8 1/2 ft. long, but has been static tested to either 25 or 27 lbs. of pressure. Obviously not a casting tool, but offshore, you rarely need much of a cast at all. What...30 ft. for a sailfish? The old (green then grey colored) Fenwick HMG 9010 was a helluva 10 wt. and would kill 90% of the Keys tarpon from a boat, back in the old days of 15 lb. tippets. But from the beach, you're much better off with a 12, so forget I mentioned it. :banghead

How much do you travel? 4-piece rods are nice, but (IMO) it will always hold true that the fewer pieces the better.
    .......Rick
  • LMB ANGLERLMB ANGLER Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    TFO for rods and tibor for reels
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 823 Officer
    I would buy a brand new Sage Xi3 12 wt -4 peice.......or

If I wanted to save some doe and put more money into a good reel, I would buy the Loomis 12wt GLX that Saltybum recomended...great bargain...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Thanks guys I will have to look into these two rods once I sell off my TFO. It will be up for sale as soon as they send me a new one.
    Permit rat I know the 10 can handle everything but with the beach poons and the high number of bull sharks in the area the bigger rod helps out alot. I wish I could take everything on my 8wt but sadly it doesn't do the trick on 100lb beach poons.