Home Egret Boats

New 2011 being built currently

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    You can shark hyde the holders or have them hard cote. The running Leds Frank uses now are Livorski and they are good quality.They do make better rod locker latches that Glen mentioned. Your probable not going to get Frank to install them. He hates the way they look. I think they look good but Frank is very peculiar as to what he uses and if you want a new boat you will have to pick your battles with him.
    The hatches he uses in the splash well leak. I installed this one http://store.gotohmg.com/products/Innovative-12%22-x-16%22-Access-Panel.html and it does not leak. I never seen water in the bilge since. Look at the leak test video on this link.
    http://www.gotohmg.com/howto.cfm
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Faulty latches and leaky hatches??? Y'all guys are making me nervous about my boat that's being built. I went with an Egret because I thought they were the best, stem to stern. I realize no boat is perfect but if I wanted to buy a good boat that needed to be upgraded or repaired I would have purchased a MBC boat locally. I don't think I should have to choose battles with a manufacturer when I'm spending a premium amount for a premium product and I wont. I can guarantee you if you purchase something from one of my stores and it isn't exactly the quality as advertised, I will either make it right or send a truck to your house and pick it up and give you your money back. It's the way I do business and the way I expect business to be. I'm not in the habit of accepting anything less. If I want a pink boat with purple polka dots that plays Dixie when I hoot the horn, it's my money and I would think the manufacturer would see fit that I am happy. Am I wrong here??
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I shouldn't have said "hot as fire", but light grey does get hot, nothing that a bucket of water can't fix in the middle of summer though. Awl grip deck is fantastic, like others have mentioned once you use it you won't ever want gel non skid again.

I don't know what Frank puts on them but get the V marine push pole holders, put them on yourself if Frank won't. They are removable and just screw into a small round aluminum base plate.

I think the leaky hatch he mentioned is the cover for the bilge, my nice starboard one isn't water tight, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't know if he still uses it but the new 189 I checked out had a pretty crappy plastic one. If it is plastic that's pretty disappointing.

From the time I've spent dealing with Frank he is a bit hard headed about certain things on the Egrets, still seemed like a great guy that takes care of his customers though.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    If I want a pink boat with purple polka dots that plays Dixie when I hoot the horn, it's my money and I would think the manufacturer would see fit that I am happy. Am I wrong here??

I agree. You should get exactly what you want. The point is, some of the choices the mfg. will make as stock are not the best and if I were you I would insist on a different choice if you prefer different after understanding what the stock really is. You can get the part numbers for everything and do the research on the competing alternatives and if you find something better use that instead of what they typically install. I would not assume that every accessory part they plan to install is the best available.

On the well hatch, it appears that somewhere along the way they lost or damaged the bilge hatch mold so now they are not actually using a molded part for it like the other openings. Yeah, the reports were this after market plastic well hatch leaks and in my opinion it looks cheap and has no business on a new $70k rig. This subject came up a year ago or so. I likened it to buying a Ferrari and putting Kmart wheels on. By comparison, the original molded part was a perfect match to the surrounding well and it was tight. That part still looks good and works great on my boat 18 yrs after it was built. Why that well hatch was not fixed and they just prefer to stick with this after market add on as the only choice I'll never know. But, you should have that part exactly the way you want it along with exact lights you want and any other accessory you choose for your custom build. I have heard there is some resistance at the factory to using latches other than the bus locker latches and it was reported to be rooted in the mfg. personal preference. The bus latchs are not faulty. They just are a poor application from a functional standpoint compared to some current alternatives. To suggest that those stock latches are the best available on the market would be a ridiculous statement. They are prone to get sticky after a year or so and then need constant lubrication and then are prone to chipping and then replacement. They are not very expensive. If you get them, get four more with the delivery so you can replace them in a year or two when it starts to happen to you. From a esthetic standpoint they look OK but I think the high end stainless latches on the market look 100x better and they have zero functional issues. If you find a superior latch or any accessory for that matter that you like better I think they should install what you want rather than what they say you should like or what Frank likes. I was surprised to hear about the resistance to some of these requests and having to pick battles etc. That is not the way it should be as it sort of flies in the face of a truly custom boat ideal and is not conducive to the best marketing or customer service. There is always room for improvement on everything and nothing should be off the table for changes as long as the new is better than the old. So sticking with the same old thing today as was stock from years ago is not likely to continue to be the best choice given the improvements in technology in just about everything from basic materials to electronics and virtually every accessory. They have moved in this direction a great deal in a number of changes like trying to improve the original hatch design which was successful in one way but failed in another with the shallower wells. They have also improved the materials and their application as well for consistency and weight control. Improvement is a continual process and this should apply to everything including seeking out the best accessories. I think if Egret is going to hold itself out as truly custom that is what it should be and without resistance to what a customer may prefer for options. So if you really do want pink light housings the answer should be yes sir and how big do you want them? And you know that could actually happen one day. I saw some pink firearms last week made just for the ladies.
    Picking your battles was a term I said because Frank will not just install anything on the boat you want. When it leaves the factory he is responsible for the boat and has to warranty it. He will make it any color you want but he will not substitute hardware unless he thinks it is good or has personally tested it. When you speck a boat build with him he will guide you and sometime shoot a suggestion down and give a good reason why he will not do it. He does have the best interest of the product line in every build.
    There has to be a hatch in the splash well to get access to the bilge.Frank has been through a few manufactures. The original one he has was great then all of a sudden they started making them in china. He changed to the TH ones he uses now and they leak . TH has improved them a little and they leak less. The one I posted does not leak. Its not the end of the world with the one that does come with the boat. I would have gotten 12 ounces on a rough day out of the plug when I pulled it. There used to be a fiberglass hatch that was deleted before Frank bought the company. They had issues with that one also.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Man. How Frank does it is beyond me.

Nowhere does it state that you get anything you want. He offers a good product and some choices. If you don't like it, there is always a Yellowfin, Gause, HB or (God forbid) MBC boat you can get. Egret still is the best Flats Boat I have ever owned or even set foot on. Never a trip goes by that I wish I had something else.

...I wonder why Egret owners have a reputation?
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Egret boats have RESALE VALUE. The reason they do is they are all pretty much alike, and a reputation for quality that goes back for many years. If you want Frank to do all kinds of weird things to a new boat and some of them are stupid, don't blame him if he says no. If I buy your boat used and it has things on it that you changed in the build process, but then turn out to be not functional , what do I think? Not that you are an idiot, but Egret is not a great boat. How he does it is beyond me also.
    As a business owner, I can appreciate Franks defending of the integrity of the brand. He's been awesome to work with and I'm super excited with all the pics he is sending me. He sent me pics today and my build is the first with the new friction hinges. They should be sweet. I appreciate every ones advice, tips, and help. Egret owners seem to be passionate about their boats. I can't wait to have that same feeling about mine. I've had an MBC boat for the last few years, and though it has been a Great fishing vessel, I have replaced 80% of the functional parts and dropped about 3500 bucks on it this year, all in manufacturers issues. Not to mention at 6'1 275 lbs, I had to pay someone to fix most of the items. I can't hardly get my right arm in the pie hole, much less this big ol gord of mine to see what I'm actually working on. Sold the boat yesterday and the guy got a better built boat than I received from the dealer. Really excited about getting the new bird and enjoying the step up in quality these boats seem to be. Just my opinion. Hope not to offend anyone. If I did, don't be so **** sensitive!!:-)

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Egret boats have RESALE VALUE. The reason they do is they are all pretty much alike, and a reputation for quality that goes back for many years. If you want Frank to do all kinds of weird things to a new boat and some of them are stupid, don't blame him if he says no. If I buy your boat used and it has things on it that you changed in the build process, but then turn out to be not functional , what do I think? Not that you are an idiot, but Egret is not a great boat. How he does it is beyond me also.

They say they will "build it to your exact specification". To me that means if you want different accessories or custom accessories they should put them on there as long as they are legal and safe. They put different engines on that you may want as long as the HP is legal. And there doesn't seem to have been any issues with electronics choices. If there are better lights or hinges or latches etc. than what is proposed as stock and that is the specification requested it really should be no problem. The customer has the perfect right to be completely discriminating when purchasing what is held out to be one of the best. I don't think I have ever seen an Egret with something on it that I would consider not functional or one that had all kind of weird things done to it. Just different colors and different accessories to the hull and some work better or are more functional than others but all are clear personal preferences. Not sure what accessories to the hull a buyer would put on during the build process that would not be functional but as long as it was safe and legal what ever it may be they should install it. Otherwise, the marketing quote advertised doesn't hold. Most accessories are easy to change so it should not be an issue or point of contention for any mfg.
    Frank, I hate to hear that and I'm in GEORGIA:-)... Them Alabamians are a different breed of southern! Dang, 3800.00 bucks for an upgrade??? I thought you could buy a tandem Ameritrail for around 4500 bucks?? I'm probably just gonna tell Frank A to scratch the holders all together. Like you said, I can't imagine fighting 21 ft of boat with a push pole.

The only thing they saved was one axle, tongue and cross braces.They basically made a new trailer.The trailer was brand new.
    Well I ordered a Sport Trail Egret Edition today. Didn't really care for the ez loader and after your issues with the Ameritrail, I decided on the Sport Trail. Had to talk him into the swing tongue modification but he's building it like I want.

That looks like a great trailer from the video.
  • jjchompjjchomp Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I have the 2011 under the single axle ez loader and sometimes it gets a little squirrely. Not bad for the 5 mile launch, not so much when going to the keys. Mind asking ballpark what the sporttrail is going for? May upgrade this year.
    jjchomp wrote: »
    I have the 2011 under the single axle ez loader and sometimes it gets a little squirrely. Not bad for the 5 mile launch, not so much when going to the keys. Mind asking ballpark what the sporttrail is going for? May upgrade this year.

You could also get a quote from ez-loader or any trailer shop to add an axle.
    Sport Trail
    Trailer specs
    6” C channel with welded custom fit bunk brackets.
    Aluminum winch post custom built for the 2011.
    Aluminum welded tongue.
    Torsion axles with quick change spindle and hubs.
    Spare carrier that also carries a spare spindle and hub.
    Potted LED lights with full length ground wire harness along with all connections made with heat shrink gel connectors for the most dependable lighting system in the industry.
    14” radial tires mounted on your choice of aluminum wheels.
    Disc brakes and auto latching brake coupler.
    Side guides.
    Welded steps in front and rear of the frame.
    Stainless retractable tie downs at transom and bow.
    Trailer is acid washed and coated with shark hide.
    Non-skid with the Egret logo.
    Polished aluminum teardrop fenders.
    Reverse lights made by Sport Trail.
    Stainless hardware.
    All metal or wood is isolated from the aluminum.

Price with brakes on both axles, spare tire and carrier.
    Total 4,740.00
    What he said.

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    Wow, I love my Ameritrail but now I have trailer envy. That Sport Trail is the best looking trailer I've seen.
    Thanks man. I hope it's sweet as it seems.

One thing you may want to ask Sport Trail is whether they can supply the Air Tight Hub system on their trailers. Having normal grease hubs that are sealed and pressurized so saltwater can't get to the bearings is the ticket. It's one of the things I love most on my trailer.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    One thing you may want to ask Sport Trail is whether they can supply the Air Tight Hub system on their trailers. Having normal grease hubs that are sealed and pressurized so saltwater can't get to the bearings is the ticket. It's one of the things I love most on my trailer.

Tiger - I can understand why you love the Air Tights. Look at the last testimonial on the Air Tight Hubs website. www.airtighthubs.com

Tight Lines... Pete
    After reading the testimonials that Pete referred to, that question has been emailed to Kevin @ Sport Trail. Being a S. Ga boy, it's an hour and fifteen minutes to the salt. I make that trip sometimes two/three times per week. I have a place on the water and can lift the boat but for a little while I'll be trailering it. Hey, you wouldn't leave your newborn in a cart at Walmart if you had to run back home would ya??;-) thanks for the suggestion Tiger and Pete!

• mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    After reading the testimonials that Pete referred to, that question has been emailed to Kevin @ Sport Trail. Being a S. Ga boy, it's an hour and fifteen minutes to the salt. I make that trip sometimes two/three times per week. I have a place on the water and can lift the boat but for a little while I'll be trailering it. Hey, you wouldn't leave your newborn in a cart at Walmart if you had to run back home would ya??;-) thanks for the suggestion Tiger and Pete!

Leave it on the lift, worst case is someone like me takes it for a quick spin.

Those trailers sound awesome going by that video on their site.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Air tights are the best!
    kevin uses Vortes hubs on his trailers. This is what he said....

Jay

We do use the Vortex hubs. Manufacture claims there’s no need to touch them for six years/100,000 miles and stands behind them. I’ve been using them on every charter captain’s boat for years now and never had a single issue. The ones I did check never had any signs of water intrusion and these guys launch and pick up every day.
    Vortex also has an O-ring cap that you can unscrew with a grease fitting on the spindle to pump grease through the back forward after the six year period if you choose to.
    Lucas Oil makes a gel grease for these hubs.

Thank you,
    Kevin

Any experience with the Vortex hubs??

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Well I ordered a Sport Trail Egret Edition today.

I had Pipe lights placed on my trailer in addition to the lower LEDS.
    I noticed when following other boats in the rain the lower lights would sometimes disappear in the road wash.

A salute to the Egret owners.
    I'm not aware of any other brand that has this much information available--outside the factory.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    kevin uses Vortes hubs on his trailers. This is what he said....

Jay

We do use the Vortex hubs. Manufacture claims there’s no need to touch them for six years/100,000 miles and stands behind them. I’ve been using them on every charter captain’s boat for years now and never had a single issue. The ones I did check never had any signs of water intrusion and these guys launch and pick up every day.
    Vortex also has an O-ring cap that you can unscrew with a grease fitting on the spindle to pump grease through the back forward after the six year period if you choose to.
    Lucas Oil makes a gel grease for these hubs.

Thank you,
    Kevin

Any experience with the Vortex hubs??

Not I...I already got 100,000 on Air Tights! you can look at their website and see all my testimonals in the past 10 years. There is also a picture of the bearings after going 100,000 miles.

I just went to their website and it's a grease system. The only problem I see is there is no way to know if you have water intrusion until you blow out a set of bearings. Especially if you wait 6 years to add grease. In addition, how does it work with the vacum caused by the interal drop in temperature when you've been driving for 1 or 2 hours and the hub is at normal operating temperature and you dunk the trailer to launch your boat?

The advantage or the Air Tight is that if you can't hold air pressure you are in a similar setup as the vortex. Which means you don't know if you are getting water into the hub. The Air Tight Sport model has a diaphram that is very easy to see if you have positive pressure or not.

You can always add a set of Air Tights. Just do it before I pass you buy. Don't worry I'll stop and help you out as long as you have one of these trashy boats:grin Tight lines... Pete
    Haha. i appreciate that Pete! and I agree, I may see about getting Kevin to install the airtights. i also concur that the info here on this forum is an incredible asset and seems to be a pretty good group of guys. Hope to catch up with you guys at an Egret get together one day!

My Dad has Vortex hubs on the trailer for his little aluminum boat and Air Tight Hubs on his Pathfinder's Ameritrail trailer. The Vortex are supposedly sealed and have a screw off cap with a pretty thick o-ring to keep water form getting in the front side of the hubs. They are a standard grease hub with a zerk fitting on the back side that you have to use to push new grease through the bearings from the back side. The Airtight's grease fitting is on the front side and pushes grease from the back to the front as well. It's a two man job to push new grease on the Vortex without making a mess since one person has to crawl underneath and pump the grease and someone has to watch the front side and catch the old grease before it goes all over your wheels. With Airtight, it's a one man job since you are pumping in grease from the front and catching it in the front. Both accomplish the same thing, one just requires a helper...not the end of the world.

Other than that my Dad has been happy with the Vortex. No water seems to have gotten past the o-ring seal on the cap of his Vortex and he uses that little boat a lot. I agree with Pete that with the Airtight you can instantly tell if they are pressurized by just glancing at them. If they are pressurized no water is getting in. With the Vortex, you probably aren't getting any water either but you won't know if the seal has failed until you find water inside of it. I think both are good and a big improvement over buddy bearings which just let water get in all the time every time and you had to pump a lot of grease and still repack the bearings once a year. With these new generation systems the maintenance is minimal.
    I emailed Kevin at Sport Trail and insisted on the Air Tights. I can install after receiving trailer but it would be much easier for him to do so while building it. Hopefully he can make it happen for me.

• rocketman1rocketman1 Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Here is what Kevin just built for me, as a 'sample' for you guys.
    It is for a new 22 ft bay boat - stepped hull.
    I had him add a bow ladder for the days when I am alone at the ramp. Top step is flush with deck. No more trying to balance on the spare. :-)
    Post pics of your Egret build when you can.
    I know it will be a super fine. Congrats.
    NO HABITAT = NO FISH
    rocketman1 wrote: »
    Here is what Kevin just built for me, as a 'sample' for you guys.
    It is for a new 22 ft bay boat - stepped hull.
    I had him add a bow ladder for the days when I am alone at the ramp. Top step is flush with deck. No more trying to balance on the spare. :-)
    Post pics of your Egret build when you can.
    I know it will be a super fine. Congrats.

That's a good looking trailer. I like the way the do the little extras, that sets them apart most other builders. Congrats...Pete