Home Egret Boats

New 2011 being built currently

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
I am currently having my first Egret built and I am super excited. In being my first build, I have thought and thought and probably about made Frank A crazy with my "email ideas". Do any of you guys who are current owners have any options or add ons or just cool features you really like on the boat? I don't want to get the boat and say, "dang, I wish I'd have thought to put this on the build!" All positive inputs appreciated.
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I am currently having my first Egret built and I am super excited. In being my first build, I have thought and thought and probably about made Frank A crazy with my "email ideas". Do any of you guys who are current owners have any options or add ons or just cool features you really like on the boat? I don't want to get the boat and say, "dang, I wish I'd have thought to put this on the build!" All positive inputs appreciated.

Perhaps you can give some more information such as your style of fishing, home waters etc.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Without the detailed list of the options you ordered its hard to respond with feedback on the items. However,

Don't install the cheap stock Aluminum Travel Bus rod locker latches. Get total high end Stainless. They look 100% better and don't get sticky and have to be replaced like the stock and the black wont be prone to chip off after a year or so.

Consider a custom higher than stock platform with two folding steps. The extra height makes a big difference.

If you get an ameratrail its a great trailer but don't get the crappy stock jack they put on with the single wheel that wont turn.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Thanks guys. I will do a complete build list tonight. Does anyone have a picture of the higher platform? CHeap aluminum latches??? I would think all the latches would be stainless on an Egret???

There is no "the higher platform" option as far as I know. It propably would have to be constructed to your specs. Not sure if Frank has done that before. I had the legs of mine cut and then extended to add about an additional foot so its about 4' off the deck and then had to have a second folding step cut and welded on. Then I powder coated it all. If was redoing it today I would probably making the platform surface wider and/or a little longer as well. If you use a platform a lot, there are different leaning rail options too. I would definitely get one you like as it makes a big difference standing up there, especially if you raise it up to higher levels.

On latches, here is some info from previous posts.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?82088-Compression-Latches-amp-Gas-Pistons&highlight=latches

I would put the springs on your rod lockers and gas pistons on the larger hatches and seat.

There was also a lengthy discussion previously about the vents for the gas. The older boats are bullet proof on the vents. The newer design with the vent in the actual fill itself has been problematic for some with leaks. Maybe go back to the old style.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Looking forward to seeing your new boat and your option list.

The hatches come with gas shocks or cable straps standard now. The rod lockers you will need to request either springs or cables added.As far as the poling tower height it is a personal preference so do as you see fit. The biggest thing is the new EPA mandatory fuel tank systems. All boat manufactures must comply now with the new regulations and must have one of these two systems installed. Egret opted to use the valve system. Hope this helps.

http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/regulations-epa/

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=22590&flag=1
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Plenty of build information already on this site.
    After seeing what you have selected on your build,people can comment.
    Myself, I like Simrad, sonic hub and Icom..
    Would get the 105 Yeti.You can always remove and use a small AO cooler when you don't need a casting platform.
    Stern cleats under the poling platform.
    Double deck the front compartment.Configure the "cast net" locker to your needs.
    Discuss live well options....that thing holds a ton of bait.
    Rod locker---springs or string.
    Power pole on port side--to throw cast net, if right handed.
    Like the colored gelcoat on the deck and console..

Enjoy the build..........
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    2014 Egret 2011 Black sides, white bottom, two tone light gray/white deck 250 SHO, tandem trailer
    I pilot 36v 101lb
    Bow mounted bottom machine
    Aluminum push pole holders
    Front and rear bait wells
    Single blade power pole
    Stealth charger
    Stereo
    Dash mounted gps
    Thru hull transducer
    Fuel management
    VHF
    Edwin wheel
    Stainless prop
    Jack plate
    Yeti seat cooler
    Helm seat
    Back rests
    Console rod holders
    Flush rod holders
    Flush stern mounted pop up cleats
    Platform mounted antenna for VHF
    Wind screen

I fish mostly inshore, top water and soft plastics. Do some live bait but mostly just for the GF. However, went with the front and rear bait wells so I'm not making laps around the deck for bait when we do. The majority of my angling takes place in less than two foot but seldom much less. Up here in the big bend, we have big rocks! I also tend to run off and grab a snapper or grouper. May troll for a king. Been fishing offshore for the last several years and decided to sell the big boat and my Maverick and I am hoping to utilize the new bird as somewhat of a hybrid. From all I've heard, I should be in good shape with the 2011.

Consider the Motorguide Remote Troller instead of the MinnKota.
    Bow mounted bottom Machine like on a bass boat? Consider putting a 12" touchscreen machine on a swivel mount so you can read it from the bow over the windscreen instead.
    Consider Flush rod holders in the deck up front and back as well as the platform. The holders on the console go without saying.
    The bow mounted machine is a personal preference thing of mine. It tucks neatly into the corner of the deck where the TM angle is all the way up front. Its mounted in an unusable portion of the deck because of the angle anyways and I stay with the small so it doesn't hinder my cast netting. I like full screen on my GPS. I prefer the 7". I've owned a couple of larger monitors on the dash. To me, a big screen is great if I'm watching Deadliest Catch but I prefer smaller and less clutter on the console. To each their own. however, I do appreciate the information. Now to another item of interest that's probably gonna get hammers thrown at me. Thinking about color matching the SHO. I do not want a blue toned engine on my all blacked out boat. Any suggestions as to why not? I know if Frank does it for me, it will be done right so that's not an issue. Thinking about all black with the OE emblems being replaced. I think it would be pretty bad A. And I realize if I want all black I could buy a Merc, but I would prefer the SHO for all it offers in a four stroke. Comments from folks with some experience on this would be appreciated. If you guys look at the red 2011 he built and imagine all the red in black with an all black engine... That's what I'm talkin' about!

• mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Light grey deck is going to get hot as fire, at least on the boats I've been on.

Color matched motor would be cool.
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    ... The biggest thing is the new EPA mandatory fuel tank systems. All boat manufactures must comply now with the new regulations and must have one of these two systems installed. Egret opted to use the valve system. Hope this helps.

http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/regulations-epa/

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=22590&flag=1

Can I get a translation? Does this mean no more vented fuel cap?
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Monoman wrote: »
    Can I get a translation? Does this mean no more vented fuel cap?

Depends on which system you use. For example the system that uses the carbon canister is a vented system still. The system with the valves is using is a sealed system with a Pressure relief valve. Both systems utilize sealed fuel fill caps. Explained below per Perko marine.
    Next question is no it can not be retrofitted to the old system! The tanks are different with the valves installed!

Builders building to new requirements will be looking for sealed caps. When refueling is completed the cap is replaced and fumes are then forced through a carbon canister to atmosphere. Or, in a pressure relief system pressure builds up to above 1 psi before venting through a pressure relief valve to atmosphere. Depending on the refueling strategy, there will be either a vented fill or a non-vented fill, but in all cases the cap will be a sealed under normal operating conditions.
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Thanks.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Light grey deck is going to get hot as fire, at least on the boats I've been on.

I have pearl gray deck and you can fry an egg on it.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Probably a stupid question but Why? What mAkes the light gray deck hotter than an all white? I'm a very hot natured person so this is important to me. I was trying to get an easier, more scuff resistant deck. I forgot to mention I'm going with the awl grip as well.

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    The light grey deck does get hotter than white. I never regretted it . It was a great looking deck. Light Grey will retain heat depending on the sun. It can get very warm in high direct sunlight just like a light grey painted pool deck or a grey concrete driveway.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Makes plenty of sense Frank. If you and ol Phil went with the two tone light gray, it can't be a terrible mistake. I think it will be Bad A. Plus, if it gets too hot, I'll just do a cannon ball off the platform.... I am from GA!!:-)

My 189 had a all white deck. Since the stock Egret white is a off white there was some glare but not as much as say a pure white deck like my boat before. When i ran and fished a 2011 with the gray two tone deck it was a night and day difference. So i went with the light gray deck on the 2011 and it was the best choice option i made.
    I'm taking yall's word for it Phil! Frank A sent me some pics today of the new "Bad Behavior" and I gotta tell ya.... All smiles here! Can anyone tell me how to load pics off an iPad?

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Depends on which system you use. For example the system that uses the carbon canister is a vented system still. The system with the valves is using is a sealed system with a Pressure relief valve. Both systems utilize sealed fuel fill caps. Explained below per Perko marine.
    Next question is no it can not be retrofitted to the old system! The tanks are different with the valves installed!

Builders building to new requirements will be looking for sealed caps. When refueling is completed the cap is replaced and fumes are then forced through a carbon canister to atmosphere. Or, in a pressure relief system pressure builds up to above 1 psi before venting through a pressure relief valve to atmosphere. Depending on the refueling strategy, there will be either a vented fill or a non-vented fill, but in all cases the cap will be a sealed under normal operating conditions.

Normal operating condition is parked in the garage. There HAS to be an intake vent somewhere to let in air unless the tank is going to operate under a 14.7 psi vacuum. If so, a rectangular tank side that's 12 in x 24in would be under 4200 lbs of force. Not likely.. If the intake vent is still flat on the deck or if the cap interferes with the deck before the O ring can seal as mine appears to then water on the deck will still get in the fuel. Be very, very afraid of trolling for kings if there's more than a 1 ft chop with the usual vented fill.

Those aluminum push pole holders look cool when new but soon get pitted. They also void the warranty on Stiffy poles and lead to many broken poles. I've broken three poles in two years and you can check the thread about that for lots of others with the same problem.

Get springs or shocks on all the hatches. Strings are for tampons..

Watch the loading on the trailer. My trailer is very badly laid out with 600 lbs tongue weight on a coupler rated for 300lbs. The fenders are also falling apart. If Ameratrail would just use a fender washer instead of a tiny regular washer over the adjustable slot problem solved. Get the F2 trailer jack wheel. It's a dream! NC has much looser trailer regulations than FL so builders will cheap out and set you up with a FL illegal trailer and still sleep at night..

I really like my Bimini top but had to get that done myself. Also had to get rid of rod locker hatch string because they don't work with a Bimini .

I love the xtra wide and xtra tall side grab rails, maybe that's standard now. Everyone that's noticed them on my boat has approved of the mod. I also like the grab rail over the windshield.

If you fish at night get shark eyes. The console lights are blocked by the grab rail and you can't legally have anyone in front of the lights or the lights are blocked.

Get the TH marine reboarding ladder for the jack plate if you get in the water much or would have trouble getting in the boat from the water without a ladder.

I think minn Kota does 112 lb thrust now. Prob won't change top speed much but would help kick the boat around faster.
    I don't want to get the boat and say, "dang, I wish I'd have thought to put this on the build!"

Strangely the build process seems designed to have that happen. I can't fathom why new customers don't get a master list of every option. I would think it would lead to more profit and happier customers..

Make a check list for delivery and sea trial the boat. My engine was only running on 5 cylinders when I put it in the water and the kill switch wasn't wired up properly. Quality control is up to you..
    Thanks mowers. I was nervous now I'm spooked. 70 grand for a flats boat is a chunk of change for this south Ga boy. I've emailed with Frank every option and question I have and he has assured me he is taking notes and will communicate with me before options are installed. He seems like a stand up guy and I trust until proven different. I like the idea of the grab rail over the windscreen. I've asked Frank about powder coating the pole holders to match everything else. Would this help?? I may just drop them as I don't see myself poling the 2011 a lot anyways. I like a clear and free deck and the pole holders may just be a recipe for a broke toe and some vulgar words in my set up. Thank you for the advice! Also, I'm going with the ez loader trailer. Tandem axle. Mistake??

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    Those push pole holders are removable.You are not going to push pole a 2011. You will remove them and give them to the buyer if you ever sell it. The Easy Loader is ok. I do not know what your trailer brake requirement is in Alabama so you have to make sure you meet that.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • rocketman1rocketman1 Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Congrats on the new build 2011. Post pics when you can.

On the trailer options, consider Sport Trail. I believe they have done an Egret already, but you should verify that. I have one ordered and was pleased with the price considering the high build quality. They have a Facebook page and make the trailers in Bay St Louis, Miss.

Best of luck with the build.

Video link to Sport Trail below for a recent customer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSHSDp8HTE
    NO HABITAT = NO FISH
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Get an Awl grip painted deck - not gel coated. Once you have an awl grip deck, you will never settle for gel coat again. Mine is ice blue and no heat issues at all - the grip is better, the look is better and clean up is about 100 time easier than gel coat. The Gause boats come standard with them - go to their website to see some photo's . Personally, I love the 2 tone look of the gauss decks, it is the combo I would do if I had my choices.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    Frank, I hate to hear that and I'm in GEORGIA:-)... Them Alabamians are a different breed of southern! Dang, 3800.00 bucks for an upgrade??? I thought you could buy a tandem Ameritrail for around 4500 bucks?? I'm probably just gonna tell Frank A to scratch the holders all together. Like you said, I can't imagine fighting 21 ft of boat with a push pole.

I have thought a lot about the sport trail trailer. Even spoke with Kevin ( I think that was his name). I may call him back tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Two tone Awl grip already ordered!

Frank, I hate to hear that and I'm in GEORGIA:-)... Them Alabamians are a different breed of southern! Dang, 3800.00 bucks for an upgrade??? I thought you could buy a tandem Ameritrail for around 4500 bucks?? I'm probably just gonna tell Frank A to scratch the holders all together. Like you said, I can't imagine fighting 21 ft of boat with a push pole.

A pole doesn't have to be just for poling the boat around. I rarely poll mine but often need it to push the boat some if I run across some shallow areas where the stern starts to drag. If you fish shallow areas it happens from time to time and its better than jumping in to push.
    You've got a point. If the pole holders can't be powder coated, can they be coated with shark Hyde to protect??

There is no problem with the alum holders if you get good ones. I have had mine for years and they stay on the boat and look new. I have no pitting at all on mine. I don't know what frank uses for that supply but I got mine locally from a different custom mfg via a competing skiff builder. There are different suppliers for all of these accessories weather it be latches, lights, pumps, etc.

Some of the changes they made in SC in the new boats made no sense to me like the shallower hatch wells. Why do that when the original design was so great? Now some boats report water intrusion issues at times as a result of the shallower wells. No idea why they did that. Some choices he uses for equipping the boats are not as good as they could be and some are great. As an example, the running LEDs I put on are much higher end that what Fank was using as stock and also as mentioned before the stock rod locker latches are a poor choice for a skiff. I spoke with the mfg of them and they were designed for buses and not for a marine environment. So many superior and also better looking options available for that application and I am surprised it has not been improved by now. But some other things such as the rod holders on the console and some of the new live wells designs are great. You can get your own accessories and have him install it. Think about choosing all of your own accessories rather than just what they offer there. The choices are endless it seems. Just look at all of the LEDs available. You could spend a little or a ton just on that. The same goes for latches or flush mounted rod holders or just about anything that goes on the hull. Search any specific accessory and the choices are usually overwhelming and the quality varies greatly. For instance on the deck rod holders I went with CE Smith rather that some lesser expensive options and I like the aqua signal lights. The quality of the stainless or different aluminum products makes a difference.