Lake Griffin 5/14/2014

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
Was over doing some scouting today for a tournament I've got coming up. Weather was windy and called for rain.

I got both.

It was a slow start with only a 2lb and a dink to show for the first 2 hours of looking. I moved into a shallow flat that had some reeds and threw my trusty Rapala. High stuck a fish and when I finally caught up to it I realized it was a nice one. I backed off my drag and it made a pretty good run before I netted it.
If this was the tournament it would have got off. :grin But of course that wasn't going to happen.

griffin3_zps922c015e.jpg
griffin2_zps54b2b3eb.jpg

Thinking I found something I messed around there long enough to both not catch anything else and get pounded by a rainstorm. I had to run out of there through giant stingy rain as Forest would say. :grin

I finally ran out of the rain and decided to stop at another area across the lake. I found a calm area and picked up the Rapala again. Pow ! 4th cast I hook another good bass.!

This would not happen if money was on the line. :banghead I landed it.

griffin1_zps0d63f3eb.jpg
griffin4_zps996258ca.jpg

There was some shad in this area and small bass were busting them pretty good. I hooked a couple of keepers but they came unbuttoned and landed a few dinks. I hope they stay put and no one finds them. :wink

Well , we'll see what tourney time holds. Water temp was 85 .
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    Nice bass, nothing beats a good ole rapala.
  • StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    Good report Capt. Seems like you suffer from the same ailment as my father. Back when we fished tournaments together pre-fishing he would kill it. Day of the tournament nothing over 12".

Good luck
  • little johnlittle john Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Nice catch Capt. Im fishing there in the near future any other tips
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    Nice catch Capt. Im fishing there in the near future any other tips

I'll get a full day of it Sunday and will know better then.
    That is if the doctor lets me. Getting some skin cancer removed from my nose tomorrow . Hope they don't take too much.
    That is also the day I will be fishing maybe I will see you on the lake good luck at the doc.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,508 Captain
    Nice catches Louie,
    And best wishes for your health.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    They are stealing our freedom. Boycott political correctness.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    That is also the day I will be fishing maybe I will see you on the lake good luck at the doc.

:grin You'll know who I am because I'll have a big bandage on my face and since you'll be following me all around the lake it will be easy to spot. :blowkiss
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Awesome report capt I love the Harris chain!
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 143 Officer
    Awesome don't see too many reports for my area. I live right off Lake Harris on the Palatkalaha river. I haven't fished Griffin much but had one of my best bass days ever there in the Emeralda Marsh area. I love fishing Lake Eustis, got my first ten pounder there earlier this year! I've had good luck on the Haines Creek on the Eustis side not too sure about on the Griffin side.
    capt louie wrote: »
    :grin You'll know who I am because I'll have a big bandage on my face and since you'll be following me all around the lake it will be easy to spot. :blowkiss

is the bandage on your ****
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,508 Captain
    What about tournament, Louie ?
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    They are stealing our freedom. Boycott political correctness.