YELLOWFIN, DOLPHIN, MUTTON, TARPON - a quickie to the other side - April 26/27

I was planning a tuna run with a couple of buddies earlier last week but it looked a bit bumpy and didn't want to start off the season on the wrong foot. The weekend however looked too awesome to resist, so I decided we'd make it a quick family outing. I enlisted the help of The Nick C to give Joseph and me a hand.

We set off on Sat morning towards Lucaya and the seas were awesome. Once we got into the stream, it looked like lake Atlantic.

We made it there in no time. The family enjoyed the smooth ride...

My other son, Nick, took a quick nap so he'd be totally in form for later :-) ... and he was!

Tied up and proceeded to clear. On my way back from the Customs office, I saw Joseph at the back of the boat with a bent rod. Nick quickly pulls out the landing net, and one of the biggest muttons I've seen in a long time, made its way onto the boat.

I then took the girls to check in at the hotel...

On my way back, I saw Joseph again with a bent rod and half a dozen spectators around the boat. What's going on? He had been fighting a tarpon and put on a show at the marina...

Who needs to go fishing elsewhere I'm thinking!!!! But we had tuna on our minds and the goal was to get Joseph his first (or first few) on standup gear. He'd gotten them before but was no longer interested in fighting them out of the rod holder. He wanted to "feel the power," he said. LOL

So we made our way out to the tuna grounds. With a nice radar on top and SST charts on the iPad at the helm, we were all set...

Long story short, we found them and were hooked up in short order...

Joseph was on FIRE!

The fish were 50 feet under the boat.

We killed a few and lost a few. With our mission accomplished, we pulled in the lines and made our way back to the dock.

We saw some awesome pilot whales...

This amazing 150' yacht with helicopter on top and 36' Intrepid in tow...

And a beautiful sunset to boot...

Back at the marina, we quickly tied up and gave the boat a rinse. Took a quick shower at the hotel, met up with the girls, had dinner at Zorba's and crashed shortly thereafter. The square was hopping...

6a9umavu.jpg

Got up the next morning with a couple more tuna in mind, and made our way to the marina - but not before Joseph played a game of chess...

We made our way out again and started the hunt. At one point Nick and I had double bruisers and Joseph was hooking 30 lb dolphins around the boat. We'd ask him to lock the drag so he breaks them off so he doesn't tangle with our lines. A couple of bruisers that required double gaffs - one of which Nick estimated to be 70-80 lbs. Once one of the yellowfins was on board, Nick was able to gaff a phin for Joseph...

We only fished a couple of hours. We ran back to the marina and found the girls at the beach. I collected them and went back to the boat after a local libation. And what do I find? Of course, Joseph hooked up to another tarpon... a bigger one!

He then proceeds to tell me that he put another mutton in the box...

Joseph, Nick and I celebrated with ice cream and bananas. Nick said the beer goes well with that too... LOL

Smooth ride home. Joseph put his feet up....

Sarah took a nap...

And so did my "other son." :grin

Back at the home dock...

Had a great trip. Should have some cool action footage on the gopros....

May 2nd update - video is now loaded:

http://youtu.be/xoLBZIPiJbI

Replies