HELP IN CHARLOTTE?? PLEASE

If anyone can offer some advice for Charlotte Harbor area fishing, WADING ... I would appreciate. Had a lot of success in Estero Bay over the years, recently located, and can't figure out ANYTHING!! I am buying a kayak and will increase my chances ... but would love some input on where i can find Trout, Redfish, Ladyfish .. wading. I primarily use artificials (Plastics and Topwaters), but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Replies

• CarloCarlo Posts: 344 Deckhand
    You can wade almost anywhere along the east wall depending on the tides. I like to walk around the back country of pirate harbor, which is just north of Burnt Store.

Do you have a boat, or need to have access by land?
  • newtocharlottenewtocharlotte Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I replied already, but hasn't shown up ... forgive me if it shows up twice, lol.

Thanks for your Reply Carlo ... most of my access will be by land. I am buying a kayak, though. I will try both of those areas out. I live on the Harbor (been here a couple of weeks) and am close to the elks. Seems like mostly an area where fish pass through, not something where you can count on trout or redfish being there on this tide or that one .. Is that a correct assessment and is it worth the time throwing lures out there on reg basis?
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Welcome to the forum. I would go see Frank and or his team plus study his website. They have forgotten more about this area than we will know ! http://www.fishinfranks.com/where_to.htm

main site http://fishnfranks.com
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
    Thanks Red Magnet ..... That is an awesome site, and I have bought some things at Fishin Frank's. I will stop in and buy some more goodies from them and pick his brain a little bit.

Thanks again.
  • dbraves8dbraves8 Posts: 239 Officer
    shoot me with a private message with your name age number and other info about yourself i have a 17ft sterling boat and usually have open spots.
    Thanks
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Anytime !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 344 Deckhand
    If you can only walk, a nice place to go is Ponce De Leon park. There is a sandy path on the north side of the park and it leads to the flats. Easy to get to.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Pirate Harbor has a small creek that runs beside it. You can park on the side of the road even though it says you will be towed becasue it is the ROW ( right of way) . The owners will not like you but they can't do jack. I fished from there for years. Take the kayak down the creek and when it opens up fish the small islands out there. You will catch a ton of fish. You can also walk the creek as the deepest it gets is about 3 feet if you do not have a kayak. Wear shoes as there is a small oyster bed at the mouth of the creek.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • gatorseangatorsean Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    You can try the wade entry points along Burnt Store road. It's a bit of hike, but the fishing is good and you don't need anything other than some wading shoes. Also visit the Southwest Florida Kayak Anglers Association forum... there is a lot of info about kayak angling there if that's something you're trying to get into.
  • devildog12210devildog12210 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Carlo wrote: »
    If you can only walk, a nice place to go is Ponce De Leon park. There is a sandy path on the north side of the park and it leads to the flats. Easy to get to.

Ponce also has a great place to launch a kayak. The barge canal just south of there is a great paddle spot and can get you quite a bit of fish.
    Thanks for all of the great replies. MUCH APPRECIATED. I will have a fishing report soon!! BTW, I was told no Trout in Ponce, etc... right now, salinity to low. Is this correct?
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Thanks for all of the great replies. MUCH APPRECIATED. I will have a fishing report soon!! BTW, I was told no Trout in Ponce, etc... right now, salinity to low. Is this correct?

Don't waste you time with the trout.........Get you some of those upper slot redfish and over slot snook!!!!
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • devildog12210devildog12210 Posts: 12 Greenhorn

Considering that I caught a dozen or so last Saturday I would say you need to get a better source of info. They were all 12"-18" but they were there biting shrimp and white z-man paddle tails.
  • dbraves8dbraves8 Posts: 239 Officer
    Pirate Harbor has a small creek that runs beside it. You can park on the side of the road even though it says you will be towed becasue it is the ROW ( right of way) . The owners will not like you but they can't do jack. I fished from there for years. Take the kayak down the creek and when it opens up fish the small islands out there. You will catch a ton of fish. You can also walk the creek as the deepest it gets is about 3 feet if you do not have a kayak. Wear shoes as there is a small oyster bed at the mouth of the creek.

I always launched my jon boat out of that canal/creek be careful it is a shallow creek and on low tides you will be walking back and across oysters are everywhere once you get to the mouth where it meets the harbor. Also don't walk it unless it's low tide on high tide I have seem 3 to 4 ft sharks in there.