Offshore Deepwater adventure 4/26

Warning- no pictures involved in this report at this time due to departure and arrival time. We set out shortly after 4am on Saturday morning on a beautiful ride offshore. The goal was to try to capture a trophy sized warsaw on the first stop. We did capture a warsaw, but it was about 50 pounds. Since that was the first fish of the trip and you can only have one, we tried to downsize gear and try to pull a few smaller fish off the spot.

That resulted in a very large blackfin tuna and a gag grouper about 30 pounds we had to release.

We moved offshore into deeper water and fished an edge which produced a few snowy groupers but quite a few yellowedge. Quite frankly, my favorite grouper to eat. We milled around in that area, landed a queen snapper and some wenchman snappers as well.

Later in the afternoon, the fish seemed to simply shut off in the area I was fishing. I spent nearly 40 minutes fishing a ridge in 80 fathoms that looked really hot but only produced a 15 pound snowy, pink porgy and 12 pound gray tile. We called it a day. The weather was beautiful all day until the last 40 miles off the beach which just beat us raw. Have no idea where that wind came from.

We had 20 groupers, largest at 50 pounds. 22 tilefish and various other suspects.

If you are one of the few that read these reports and loves offshore trolling in this region, I've got to tell you, it's time to lube up the reels and fuel the boat, stuff is happening offshore. 3 weeks ago, I started seeing scattered weedlines, but we witnessed some massive weedlines on Saturday. The heaviest weedlines and rips were occurring offshore between 25 15/ 25-20 N 83 50/ 84-20W. Unreal amounts of life on the surface. There is an unreal amount of activity on the surface right now and some of the weedlines we went through were massive. Water temp is 78-79. It's going to be game on offshore in the trolling world before that water temp skyrockets.

I might get a couple pictures from the trip if they send over camera shots. It was just a very long day. Up at 3 and in bed at midnight and the fish were cut this morning.

Replies

• PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Great report, I'm hoping to get out into some offshore action soon. It's been too long since I've been out there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    I always enjoy reading your reports. Thanks for another good one.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Sounds like a great trip. How long of a run was it to those depths?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fish4funfish4fun Posts: 225 Officer
    Holy moly! Just plotting 25 20 and 83 50.... from the tripod it's about 130 miles! And that's the "close" ridge.
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    It depends which boat I am running. This trip was 4 hours each way at 38 knots.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    When we finished up for yesterday, we threw out the full live well of pilchards and threadies. 20 minutes later we had black fin busting around us everywhere.. We are going to try and run a trip out to the roatan and maybe past it a little this next weekend.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,606 Moderator
    Thanks again for your report. Always an interesting one.
    larrywitt
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    Veikx-I'd almost bet money there is a wahoo or two in that area right about now.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Veikx-I'd almost bet money there is a wahoo or two in that area right about now.

I think the wahoo are everywhere this year. Saw three on our last trip to about 160'.
    we ran out to 180-222ft on sat as well, and like pigskin said the weedlines were bunching up very well, they were kind of scattered but the farther out you went the thicker they got, caught a nice 20lb'ish blackfin on a topwater yo-zuri. They were lively out there Saturday, blackfin and bonita coming out of the water everywhere you looked, hit the troll for a bit had two strikes and that was it.
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    Sounds awesome
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • FurFinsFeathersFurFinsFeathers Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report!
  • HoovHoov Posts: 386 Officer
    :thumbsup
    YOUTUBE!! YOUTUBE!! YOUTUBE!! Check it out !! http://www.youtube.com/user/InToTheBlue247?feature=watch
  • offthehook!offthehook! Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    :thumbsup