Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

4/27/14 North IRL

Set out today not with one of the usual fishing buddies but with the girlfriend. We dropped in a little late (she's not a fan of the early mornings) around 730 or so and ran north from Parish Park. Got tucked into one of my spots and saw activity immediately. Pushed a school of reds on the way in and saw what appeared to be some gator trout crashing bait near the shoreline. I did what I could to sneak in with the push pole and though she's a trooper and getting better little by little but I'll just say the catching would likely have been infinitely more successful with another experienced angler on board. I finally just used the stick it anchor to settle in to an area with good sign and wouldn't you know as soon as I got off the tower we jumped another school of upper slot reds that were laying in some grass. I swear they were invisible until it was too late. Fished off the stick it anchor for a while to no avail so I jumped back on the tower. Started pushing into the wind again when I spotted another school. Looked like a small group of reds but holy heck were they covering some ground. I finally resorted to dropping the trolling motor in just to keep up and tried to loop around them as they headed for a point along the shore. I lost them in the chop as the wind picked up but stuck with focusing on where I had seen them last. As I gently cruised into the area I saw something chasing some bait hard and pitched my go to in. Turned out they weren't reds but jacks and about four of them came after my offering. One unlucky one hooked up, just about spooled my shimano, and gave a fight any angler would love. After that we pushed on but the wind was a little too much to do any sight fishing. I resorted to targeting sand holes as we drifted with the wind and scored a nice 22 inch trout that obliterated my plastic. While I was fighting him a real nice red, I'd give him about 28, took off and wanted no part of the party. Today was a far cry from my greatest day but I caught fish, the boat didn't break, and the weather complied for the most part so I got no complaints what so ever.
As far as what's going on in the area, I already covered what game fish I saw. There was plenty of bait around from minnows to pins to various sizes of mullet. Nothing really in big schools, but you would see bait just about everywhere you looked. The water is still clear (no telling how long that will hold up) with temps starting in the upper 70s and rising to about 85 by the time I called it close to 2:00.

Can't wait to go back for some more. Tight lines all.

Replies

• Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Awesome Report man. Great detail on what you saw out there! Glad you caught some fish and had some fun!
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • AnthonyAnthony Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Nice report! And it's always cool when you can share a day with someone ya care about!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Those "flats" jacks are hilarous. Sounded like a nice day on the water.
  • Gooner PyleGooner Pyle Posts: 188 Officer
    Those "flats" jacks are hilarous. Sounded like a nice day on the water.

It's like hooking into a Ferrari!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Good work.... Sounds like you and your lady had a nice date on the river.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Good report. I was out that way around Flounder (big) to the ramp just north and saw almost the same stuff that you reported. I was looking for Black Drum but didn't see any. A few Reds that wanted nothing I was offering and two really dumb 19" Trout on old faithful, 1/4oz Johnson Gold Spoon. Was heading over to Dummit this AM but my Flush Connector had some blow-by coming out and since it was about 15 hours past service time I pulled it back out of the water and took it in for service.

Be back out Wed. in my boat but with my longtime fishing partner in his boat over on the St Johns tomorrow.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • Gooner PyleGooner Pyle Posts: 188 Officer
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    Good report. I was out that way around Flounder (big) to the ramp just north and saw almost the same stuff that you reported. I was looking for Black Drum but didn't see any. A few Reds that wanted nothing I was offering and two really dumb 19" Trout on old faithful, 1/4oz Johnson Gold Spoon. Was heading over to Dummit this AM but my Flush Connector had some blow-by coming out and since it was about 15 hours past service time I pulled it back out of the water and took it in for service.

Be back out Wed. in my boat but with my longtime fishing partner in his boat over on the St Johns tomorrow.

Which ramp were you by? I'm not familiar but am always looking for good spots to launch.