Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Curry Hammock Hiking Trail

I will be in Marathon with my family at the end of June and were thinking of going for a hike on the nature trail at Curry Hammock state park. What will the bugs be like there at that time of year? All my trips to the Keys before have been in the March/April time period. We are from Wisconsin so we are used to mosquitoes but I don't want to plan a hike that will end up with us being carried away by bugs!
My rod and my reel, they comfort me..... St. Pete:12# Test

Replies

• eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    If the wind isn't out of the west it should be OK.

-E
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Time of day makes a big difference as well... morning and evening the skeeters will be alot worse than at midday. Plan your hike/nature walk during a windy midday and use some repellant and you'll be fine.
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 463 Deckhand
    One thing we've observed about the mosquitoes in the Keys is that they seem to be faster to land/bite than the ones up north (I've spent a lot of time outdoors in Maine, a trip to Alaska, and Maryland/Virginia). Seems like the farther you go north the slower they are, even in the summer when it's warm up north.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 377 Deckhand
    Perchguy wrote: »
    I will be in Marathon with my family at the end of June and were thinking of going for a hike on the nature trail at Curry Hammock state park. What will the bugs be like there at that time of year? All my trips to the Keys before have been in the March/April time period. We are from Wisconsin so we are used to mosquitoes but I don't want to plan a hike that will end up with us being carried away by bugs!

Perchguy, I am down in that area often, I do see the roadside fogging truck doing that area. Also as a Wisconsinite myself, there is no comparison IMO from the skitters in the Keys to our home state. I can sit outdoors all night in the Keys with seldom a bite, I can not sit literally for 2 minute's on my deck in Wisconsin with out being carried away. Now the NOseeums are a different story, they don't seem to bother me, but they love my wife and my daughters boyfriend.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    One thing we've observed about the mosquitoes in the Keys is that they seem to be faster to land/bite than the ones up north (I've spent a lot of time outdoors in Maine, a trip to Alaska, and Maryland/Virginia). Seems like the farther you go north the slower they are, even in the summer when it's warm up north.

I think that's florida skeeters in general. The ones in co and ak are definitely slower and larger, but give you plenty of time and warning to smack them when they do decide to land, unlike kamikaze fl skeeters