Installing a Anchor Trolley......left or right side?

I'm getting ready to install a Deluxe Anchor Trolley from Yak-gear but not sure which side to place it on my Cuda 14. I don't have a rudder system yet but plan on installing one next year. I would like it on the right due to the fact that I'm mainly right handed and cast with my right hand so I figured I would be casting across to the left and landing fish on the left side of the yak. I jet want to make sure that if i install it on the right it will not interfere with the rudder system later. Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks for the help!:fishing
Tight Lines!! :fishing

Replies

• ckeene9ckeene9 Posts: 159 Officer
    Have the same question myself. Just picked up the rudder for my Tarpon 140 which is installed on the right.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    My .02. I had the cuda 14 with a rudder. I'm left handed and used a 6' park-n-pole anchor on the left side that was bungeed to the boat using the rod bungee and the front rod holder. My thoughts were that u always bring up fish on the right so anchor on the left. Just opposite of you. The anchor wont get in the way of the rudder on either side. Word of advice, string it up and make sure you are happy before drilling. Make sure you seal it well! Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
    Anybody have a good anchor trolley how-to link? I picked up 2 Harken pulleys, some shock cord, 550 cord, and a nylon ring but want to see it all put together and in use.
    Youtube has plenty of them. Just search for anchor trolley install or how-to. Make sure your holes are drilled above the waterline! Again, lay it out before drilling as to measure twice, drill once.

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    im right handed and i have mine rigged on the right side. i usually bring up the fish on the left. but i suppose i do use both sides. i was thinking about putting a trolley on the left side as well, it would be useful.
    i go cheap.
    get some proper screws, some of them black "nylon pad eyes", some small stainless carabiners and one of them nite ize s-biners to hold the rope. save a bit of money compared to the kit, and does the same thing.
    the one they sell at bass pro for 30 bucks is pretty decent looking. going to instal one on a friends kayak one of these days.
    davederb wrote: »
    Youtube has plenty of them. Just search for anchor trolley install or how-to. Make sure your holes are drilled above the waterline! Again, lay it out before drilling as to measure twice, drill once.

Did just that last night. Think I got the wrong harken pulleys though since these are the mountable ones and no where to shock cord one end.
  • ghostrider8ghostrider8 Posts: 154 Officer
    Put one on each side. It gives you the option of using the one that best keeps the rope or stick out of your way. I have one anchored like this on each side of my slayer. http://nativewatercraft.com/video.cfm?id=86
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    ckeene9 wrote: »
    Did just that last night. Think I got the wrong harken pulleys though since these are the mountable ones and no where to shock cord one end.

Copy the Hobie Pro Angler trolley......add another "ring" and install a section of bungee (8"-1') between the rings, you can use two black zip-ties to secure it to the rings.

http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-gear/hobie-anchor-trolley-kit
    I think i bought the sealect brand with the 2" nylon ring. Liked it!