Kayak shopping.. Used heritage fisherman pro 14

Mr19-6Mr19-6 Posts: 166 Deckhand
I am looking for a kayak to outfit for flats/nearshore fishing. I will be in the lauderdale area for the next month then moving to the big bend area(st marks). I would like to try a couple nearshore trips off dania beach if I get the chance before I leave.

Otherwise it will be strictly flats fishing for reds, trout, cobia, etc up north.

For right now I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible. I expect to upgrade in the next year or so but want to make sure I enjoy it first.

Hard budget for ~$300 not including paddles,pfd etc.

I found a deal for a Heritage fisherman pro 14 for $250 and other than this its very slim pickings.

The only other 2 I have found in this range would be a pelican apex 100(10' not well reviewed) or a future beach 12'. Both are ocean Yaks but neither are setup for fishing(nor Ideal). I am very handy and dont mind some work but feel the fisherman pro is the best bet.

Its a very fast kayak but can be a bit tippy. Obviously go out for a few paddles sans fishing gear but I have the next month free and clear to do anything so I have to time.

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    From what I've read, the Pro 14 is a fast paddle, that tracks well but feels a bit unstable at rest. Looks like the biggest downfall would be the lack of tankwell & depth of cockpit.

Here are some reviews- http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1443

zoom_fishermenpro14.jpg
  • Mr19-6Mr19-6 Posts: 166 Deckhand
    Decently reviewed.

I know its not the best out there but for $250 I don't think I can do better.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Mr19-6 wrote: »
    Decently reviewed.

I know its not the best out there but for $250 I don't think I can do better.
    If the hull is intact, with no cracking of the scuppers or seating area and no major UV damage (fading)....I would agree.