SSV 6500: not really waterproof after all

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,268 Moderator
A picture is worth a thousand words right?

To be fair, this reel has been overboard twice and was [externally] rinsed with fresh water after every outing. Looked ok to me :shrug I noticed it started to feel a bit stiff to reel in last time I was offshore jigging. Out of curiosity I decided to open her up last night and what a mess! caked up salt and sludge and mild corrosion on the gears.

The good news is that it was very easy to figure out how to disassemble/reassemble and clean (took me two hours).

So a note of warning to anyone who has this reel, yeah its more water resistant than others, but its NOT waterproof. Nothing is going to keep your gear working other than good old fashioned maintenance.
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• CvstratCvstrat Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Im wondering where the water crept in. I see the gasket goes all the way around. Crazy because advertises it like you can dunk it in the surf and its no problem.
  • jaredman1000jaredman1000 Posts: 196 Officer
    I dont know how hard you use this reel but penn says that its not waterproof if it is in the water and your turning the handle . It is waterproof if you dont turn the handle when the reel is under water . I dont own one but i never heard anyone have problems with the new spinfishers

Sorry about the bad luck , Tight Lines :fishing
    Native WaterCraft Redfish 14
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,551 Captain
    100% operator error
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    I dont know how hard you use this reel but penn says that its not waterproof if it is in the water and your turning the handle . It is waterproof if you dont turn the handle when the reel is under water . I dont own one but i never heard anyone have problems with the new spinfishers

Sorry about the bad luck , Tight Lines :fishing

your wrong watch the end of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kBGseTxMhc
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,268 Moderator
    nick wrote: »
    100% operator error
    I sort of agree. I give this reel to guests to use because I know they are more likely to dunk the reel than I am (like when my dad flipped his kayak offshore Dania). But I do this because I expected the reel to resist flooding. I've learnt my lesson, and Its also a comfort to know now that I can disassemble/reassemble pretty easily.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    I'll keep an eye on mine. So far so good.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    A picture is worth a thousand words right?

To be fair, this reel has been overboard twice and was [externally] rinsed with fresh water after every outing. Looked ok to me :shrug I noticed it started to feel a bit stiff to reel in last time I was offshore jigging. Out of curiosity I decided to open her up last night and what a mess! caked up salt and sludge and mild corrosion on the gears.

The good news is that it was very easy to figure out how to disassemble/reassemble and clean (took me two hours).

So a note of warning to anyone who has this reel, yeah its more water resistant than others, but its NOT waterproof. Nothing is going to keep your gear working other than good old fashioned maintenance.

Any corrosion other than the gear box? roller clutch bearing?
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Thats the same reel that caught 500# Blue MARLIN!!!!!!!!!! haha :banana:banana
    That being said the new penn spinfishers are IMO the biggest pos ever. I bought one a while back and it is cheap and terrible. Nothing like the old heavy, Built like a truck penns
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
    Any corrosion other than the gear box? roller clutch bearing?

The grease did its job and protected most of the gears, but there was some minor corrosion on the gear responsible for raising and lowering the spool. Mostly the grease was just solidified with all the salt it had absorbed. I used it on Friday after cleaning it, and its much better now, but I need to repack it with fresh grease.
    Thats the same reel that caught 500# Blue MARLIN!!!!!!!!!! haha :banana:banana
    That being said the new penn spinfishers are IMO the biggest pos ever. I bought one a while back and it is cheap and terrible. Nothing like the old heavy, Built like a truck penns

so i hear!