Home Photography Corner

Hi!

redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 555 Officer
Hope all are well, and have been :) About time I pop in and check on y'all. Mac, I see you are still fighting the good fight, Chuck, good to see u here and doing well. Flash, I see the kids are playin ball already. Geeze, where does the time go? Craig, glad you got your studio, and I hope you are well on your way to clients and customers.

Suz
Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    redsgurl wrote: »
    Hope all are well, and have been :) About time I pop in and check on y'all. Mac, I see you are still fighting the good fight, Chuck, good to see u here and doing well. Flash, I see the kids are playin ball already. Geeze, where does the time go? Craig, glad you got your studio, and I hope you are well on your way to clients and customers.

Suz

:shrug
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Hello stranger. How have you been? Post some recent shots when you get a moment.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    her 'Girl....
    where ya been???
    thought you'd throw in a teaser as to what you've been shooting....
    lets see what ya got for fun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Me too Suz!! Menzie go away.....
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    lbud wrote: »
    Menzie go away.....

:Spittingcoffee
    Talk about a bunch of leg humpers.... :)
    She is a respected and quite accomplished participant here Menzies. Why you wanna be a pain like that?
    Chuckc wrote: »
    She is a respected and quite accomplished participant here Menzies. Why you wanna be a pain like that?

Excuse me?

Let's see. I ask why she doesn't mention me and then I get....Menzies go away, and I am being the pain - you need to explain that one.
    My assumption was that you were up to your more usual abrasive tricks. Maybe I was wrong or maybe not.
    My assumption was that you were up to your more usual abrasive tricks. Maybe I was wrong or maybe not.

Example(s) please.
    You are well behaved here in Photography but your demeanor in other sub-forums starting with P can frequently be pompous and condescending should someone not agree with you.
    You are well behaved here in Photography but your demeanor in other sub-forums starting with P can frequently be pompous and condescending should someone not agree with you.

Seriously, you are derailing this welcome back thread with references to the Politics forum?

Seriously?
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Go away...
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
    lbud wrote: »
    Go away...

You are a petulant six year old...
    Sorry Redsgurl, we really would enjoy seeing some of your recent shots. Please overlook the derailment.

usual menzies...not the center of attention so he gets his feelings hurt....

menzies could learn something about photography from 'Girl....
    she even shoots with an oly.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 555 Officer
    heh heh heh. Thanks y'all...... Menzies probably meant no harm; and if he did, it's water off a ducks back. I hardly think he got his feelings hurt, as he and I usually don't speak. That being said, let me say I'm sorry I caused such a ruckus. Seems like I do that now and then........... Anyways.............. Hey. Speaking of the good ole Oly......... I am in the mood to upgrade the archaic ole girl, and couldn't see spending the little bit of flow I have on basically the same thing (They have focused on glass for the last eon). It's getting harder and harder to find memory for her, and it keeps going up when I can find it. I had a cf go bad and lost a lot of images; the actuation count on that thing is wayyyyyyy past it's intended life span, and I just know she is going to die the next time i put her to work. that's what pushed me to purchase out of my comfort zone. I will have a Canon in my hands Friday. Don't know how that will go, but I'm gonna give it a try. Nervous anticipation will push me to learn a new curve................ I hope I can figure it all out. :crossed Stand by and pull a number. i will be calling on my mentors....................
    P.S. Hi Ibud
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
    Traitor!! :wink
    Shhhhhhhhh............
    Suz

• GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    Speaking of the good ole Oly......... I am in the mood to upgrade the archaic ole girl, and couldn't see spending the little bit of flow I have on basically the same thing (They have focused on glass for the last eon). It's getting harder and harder to find memory for her, and it keeps going up when I can find it. I had a cf go bad and lost a lot of images; the actuation count on that thing is wayyyyyyy past it's intended life span, and I just know she is going to die the next time i put her to work. that's what pushed me to purchase out of my comfort zone. I will have a Canon in my hands Friday. Don't know how that will go

I think a lot has to do with what you're using the camera for. If you are primarily doing family and vacation shots, any of the novice models would do fine from any brand. With Canon, that would mean the T3 or SL1 or anything up to the T5i. They are all about the same thing. The same goes for the Nikon D3100 to the D5300 and the Pentax K50 or K500. They are all birds of a feather, in my opinion. I think it might be the best to consider the accessories and glass available and buy based on that.

I shoot Nikon exclusively. The reason I chose to go that way was that in 1968 Nikon had the largest professional system and had never obsoleted its lens mount. I'd been shooting a pair of second hand Pentax cameras since I was eight years old. However, I wanted professional grade gear to take to college as I had intended to pay my way from Weddings, Senior Pics, Baby Portraits, etc.

To this day, Nikon is still the only one who has not ever obsoleted it's lens mount since the beginning of the Nikon F-mount in 1959. What that means to you and me is we can buy new gear with the confidence, knowing it will work years into the future. It also means a lens I bought back when works on my new Nikon D800. This is real compatibility. No adaptors needed. Here's my Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI portrait lens I bought new in 1978 hooked up to my Nikon D700. I use this almost every work day. You can't do this with Canon, Pentax or anyone else.

Take care
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
    I knew Guidenet would chime in and be the voice of reason about the switch of camera companies. :grin
    hey...
    scott kelby finally saw the light and shoots with one of those cameras with the grey lens....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Let's all ask if she is getting paid to shoot a gray lens like Kelby is. :grin
  • DustinDustin Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Menzies wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Let's see. I ask why she doesn't mention me and then I get....Menzies go away, and I am being the pain - you need to explain that one.

It is very simple really. The folks she mentioned have posted high-quality images and contributions on this forum for a very long time. You have done neither.
    Now that is enough.

There are plenty of other boards on this forum where hard hitting commentary takes place, as well as belittling others. I will easily admit I am one of the worst regarding this on another board. Let's try to keep this photo board in good humor and remain helpful to others instead of being condescending and belittling. Thank you.
    Craig is right...
    we've always taken the "high road" here...lets continue that practice...

now...onto more important stuff....
    as Craig T. says, nikon has never changed their mount while just about every 35mm camera started out using the pentax threaded mount, then changed to a bayonet mount except canon...
    canon used the reverse bayonet mount on their fn and fd glass right up to they went to the eos 35mm cameras in the late 80's, early '90's... canon has not changed since...
    i did not follow for two reasons...i'd need to buy new glass and af was in its infancy (yes i know minolta had af first)
    however, all of canon's eos glass will work with any eos body including film to right now...
    canons innovations such as IS and the USM motor are\were used by nikon under license...
    canon's ed glass is now part of the nikon line up...
    canons innovations have been remarkable other than their af which sux against nikon...
    however, they are catching up in that area...
    nikon has finally passed canons dynamic range in some of it's sensors, however, I can't really see a difference as long as its apples to apples...

when i went digital i had to start from scratch. after having shot pro images with nikon because it was handed to me...I liked their cameras and features but they really weren't any better than the canon f-1n or a-1 35mm cameras...
    it is really just a matter of luck of the draw that i went to dslr with canon...i could have gone either way...
    i have never regretted my choice other than canon's af sux but is getting better, a lot better, and on all of its' bodies....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Well now. This is why I call this place home. Thanks so much Craig, for the input. (H20, i knew he would; :dance) Mac, I appreciate you taking the time as well, and am not surprised. I have been reading, and reading and reading. When I have time, I read some more. I've been looking at the Nikon for a lonnnnng time. One of the guys at work ordered the SL1 for a work project, and I sure wish he hadn't showed it to me and let me have it for 15 mins. Long story short, I came home and after checking things onnnne more time, I made the plunge. Not being a pro, I dont need the attributes that are offered for abour $1000 more than what I paid for this. they say it's a mix of the T4i and the 5i. If I can learn to make it stand up and talk the way they say it can and will, I wil be more than pleased. If I hate it, I will start over with the big N. :rotflmao
    Thank you again for your time and input. It's good to be home.
    Suz

'Girl...
    you'll be good...
    those bodies have some extreme features...
    just invest in good glass and you'll be happy...
    3rd party glass like sigma, tokina, and tamron have gotten very good, especially tokina which is designed by a bunch of disgruntled nikon engineers....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    If I can learn to make it stand up and talk the way they say it can and will, I wil be more than pleased. If I hate it, I will start over with the big N. :rotflmao
    Thank you again for your time and input. It's good to be home.

No, Canon is fine. Remember, I said on the novice level models I'd not see a hair of difference between Nikon and Canon. These aren't working cameras, though.

Even on cameras that work for a living there isn't that much difference. I'd never move from Nikon to Canon mostly because of my glass investment, some of which I think I need and some of which I think I love. A bit strange, I admit. None the less, some of my copies have something special about them I know I'd not be able to replace if that lens or camera became lost or stolen. My Nikon D700 fits that description as does my aforementioned Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, either of which is extremely reasonable used. If you do your part, they render something truly remarkable.

My question would never be why you chose Canon over Nikon. My answer to someone else might be, "Why Not?" My only question might be why not move up the food chain if you think you're ready? As far as creating a meaningful image is concerned, that new SL1 won't "stand up and talk" any better than your old Olympus. The creation of a compelling image is completely your job and has little to do with the camera. Moving up the food chain to a pro-level camera, even if used, can make the search and effort to get that compelling image a little easier. My beginner choice for a Canon SLR might be the discontinued Canon 5D.

Next, learn the Zone System of photography and have a lot of fun.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    Menzies wrote: »
    Talk about a bunch of leg humpers.... :)

Why is saying hello to a member leg humping?