Home Politics

This makes sense...............from the NYT.....

bswivbswiv Posts: 7,683 Admiral
""Q. Who is exempt?

A. The health care law authorizes many kinds of exemptions, and the Obama administration has added a few.

Under the law, no penalties can be imposed on people who would have to pay more than 8 percent of their household income for the lowest-priced insurance available to them.

The requirement for people to have coverage does not apply to members of certain religious sects who are “conscientiously opposed to acceptance” of health insurance benefits. Nor does it apply to members of organizations known as health care sharing ministries, which provide a faith-based alternative to traditional insurance.

Prisoners and illegal immigrants are also exempt, and no penalties can be imposed on members of federally recognized Indian tribes.

Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, has authorized “hardship exemptions” for people in more than a dozen categories. These include people who are homeless or facing eviction or foreclosure; victims of domestic violence; and victims of fires, floods and other disasters.

In addition, people are entitled to exemptions if they were found ineligible for Medicaid solely because they live in a state that decided not to expand the program. Congress tried to require states to expand Medicaid, but the Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that states could opt out, and about half have done so.

Exemptions are also available to people who face the cancellation of individual health insurance policies and consider the alternatives unaffordable.

Finally, the administration has created an open-ended category of exemption for people who experience other, unspecified hardships in obtaining insurance.

Some exemptions can be obtained only from an insurance exchange, and others only from the I.R.S.""

Replies

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Oh no...a delay in collecting the individual mandate/tax. Who'd dare suggest such a thing?
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,506 AG
    The NFL is considering narrowing the goal posts. In other related news, Obamacare has no goal posts at all..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    The NFL is considering narrowing the goal posts. In other related news, Obamacare has no goal posts at all..

I beg to differ with you. Obama has goal posts that fit his attempted effort to save a failed law, and approval ratings. I think it is past time for a "Coaching Change!"