Slow at Shired 3/30

I wanted to fish yesterday but got rained out and the weather was supposed to be nice today but it really wasn't. The wind was gusting 20 MPH and had blown all the water out when I arrived at about 10:30. In the morning the wind wasn't quite as extreme, or at least it was blowing straight from the north and Horseshoe Beach was blocking a lot of the slop. My plan was to run north some but I thought better of it since I thought it might shift directions and start coming out of the west leaving me to cross a nasty choppy bay in a very small boat. That's exactly what happened too, the wind started to blast in from the west and kicked up a wicked chop, so I made the right choice. I stayed in Shired Creek and basically decided to cover a lot of water to find the fish, but they didn't really want to be found. All the ones I boated were towards the mouth of the creek in the deeper cuts. I lost a couple trout not paying attention to my bobber because the action was so few and far between, but managed to boat this fish which was pushing 20 inches and fought so hard I thought it might be a red.

AVSXDgal.jpg

The bait I caught it on was a Zoom speed worm I'd cut the top half off and stuck a nail into for some extra weight, about 2 feet under a popping bobber. The wind was pushing me around so hard that it was too much work to troll and cast the Mirrodine like I really wanted to do, so I settled for just drifting the worm in the current so I could just anchor up in one place. I also tried fishing some cut mullet on the bottom hoping for a red but only had two nibbles that didn't take the bait. Once the tide got really high I pushed into some really skinny creeks and spooked a few small reds but they didn't want to eat the spoon I was throwing. The water temp was about 63, which is 7 degrees colder than when I was there last weekend. That, plus the wind seemed to put a damper on the bite. I should have dressed warmer, between the wind and the temp not getting much above 60 it was a bit cool at times.

yCOCp3ml.jpg

I stopped by Rock Bluff on the way home to dunk the trailer and flush my motor and there were two FWC boat trailers in the parking lot. The Suwannee was really high, wondered what they were out there doing.

Replies

• PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    To windy for me, glad you caught a few brotha!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Yeah man, I wanted to go out to Wac but I knew there was going to be tons of fresh water and to catch anything I figured I'd have to go way out there, and it would have been dangerous with it that windy, especially once that tide turned back against the wind!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Glad you stayed safe and caught a few too.
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Sounds like a tough day. I never do well on windy days either. At least you got your fishin' fix and dinner. Thanks for the report.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Those high pressure days after a front blows can be tough to fish but sounds like you made the best of it...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 829 Officer
    :thumbsup You certainly get around.
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    At least you got out. I have been stuck all week due to a leaking cylinder on my hydraulic jack plate, waiting for new seals.

Nice report.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Red612 wrote: »
    At least you got out. I have been stuck all week due to a leaking cylinder on my hydraulic jack plate, waiting for new seals.

Nice report.

Well that's no fun but I'd love to have a hydro jack plate, I could get REAL skinny in the Gheenoe with one of those :)
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,673 Moderator
    Good call on not crossing the bay.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    Nice report on a tough day, thanks.
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Sounds like a rough day out there. Good job on staying safe and thinking about what could happen. Good planning!!!