Dania Beach Tuna Caught Jigging at 280ft 3/30/2014

A group of us headed out early in the a.m. before the stronger northerly winds kicked up. A couple of the guys landed some tuna early on, only to find out that bigger predators were lurking by. :hairraiser Sharks that is! So far I was told of two separate incidents, where the sharks snatched their tunas close to the surface. This time around, I didn't have to deal with the sharks.

I tried flat-lining pilchards, as I jigged at the same time and caught this decent tuna near the surface. I tried a couple of different jigs till I got a hit on the Knife-Jig. I find that I have luck with these jigs, when nothing else is working for me.

Tight Lines.
Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice tuna. Glad a shark did not get him.
  • lmp1978lmp1978 Posts: 154 Officer
    Good tuna frank.... It was slow for me too. Current and wind was strong, i got a runner and an decent amberjack who was almost shark meal. A 6ft shark came pretty close to my kayak fallowing this aj.
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    Nice tuna Frank! Good to see you're back at it.
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,320 Moderator
    Nice Tuna Frank!
    I was looking out for you today, but I got there late and forgot my seat so I was having an uncomfortable day with that wind (and also got skunked)
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Congrats on the fish. Wind was howling up here all morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 483 Deckhand
    Nice one I let his twin brother go boat side. Don't know why that never happens with the big bonito. Had a lot of action today just couldn't put anything good in the boat. Mahi were out there for sure but pilchards are hard to keep on hook with all the weeds.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Thanks guys....gotta do this again real soon. I believe that these stronger winds we are getting from the north, are actually helping us out here in South Florida with the fishing. Just gotta look for the blue water and the north current rips. Today the current was dead, even though the wind was pushing us south bound. Jason and I found a nice rip at 280, which we worked for a while. He landed a big *** bonito and I got blessed with the tuna.
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Congrats Frank. It seems like 280 is the zone for that rip. Enjoy your Tuna.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Nice BFT, i can't wait until the days where they're everywhere! Although I won't be jazzed about catching 20 bonnies to 1 BFT :rotflmao
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • reelboss185reelboss185 Posts: 188 Officer
    Nice catch Frank!
    OK Trident Ultra 4.3 Lemongrasss
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin
    Very cool BFT
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

Tunas and bonito's will be hitting us all real soon. Just about the same time I was bringing in the tuna, my friend was bruising his arm with a bonnie. Later.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Nice Tuna. That almaco double-header on one jig was cute too.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    bugdoc wrote: »
    Nice Tuna. That almaco double-header on one jig was cute too.

Thanks Bugdoc. The fish are calling you offshore. :fishing