Snook , you can take it to the bank. 03/29/2014

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
After tormenting and procrastinating over what Snookspanker and I seen last week today I decided to see for myself. If you read the report, we seen a guy jump a good fish that looked like a snook but weren't sure.

After the monsoon started to let up today and the weather clearing I asked my bro-in-law if he wanted to give the snook a try. He did and we went to the Withlacoochee dam.

The lock , like before , was open and roaring. This is what it needs to look like.

Spillway_zps4a63c0ee.jpeg

Man , like the old days when it was a real hydro electric dam, before being replaced with the current control structure.
We took up stations on each side and started casting. I was using a 4/0 EWG Trokar with a 1/4oz bullet weight and a 4" swimbait. That would allow it to get down in the current seams near the bottom.
It didn't take long and I had a bump but missed it. A few casts later I had a good take and it was fish on !
Wasn't sure if a gar,bass or snook in the foaming water but once near the bank I knew.

snookspillway_zps30b5f16e.jpeg

Didn't have a tape so used the dollar bill method and got 4 bills and a bit so guessed 25 to 28".
Slid it back in the water. Dang it , wanted a snook dinner..

Got hung up and had to go get more baits and a tape measure and while on the top of the dam heard a whining noise ? WTH..
The gates started closing! First one then the other , then nothing ! No flow.
No more bites either. It shut down hard. :banghead

Not sure how or when they open that thing but it's not often.

When it is.

You can take it to the bank.
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Oh yeah. Thats a cool catch from the bank fo sho.
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,038 Officer
    Watch out for the cottonmouths....but yeah it's fun to fish there when the water's roaring. Nice fish Cap'n!
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Great Snook and pic of the dam!!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Pretty cool Captn.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 829 Officer
    Very nice:thumbsup
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    Nice catch.

Use to fish those dams all the time at night down in south florida. Same thing when they are open fishing is good, when they are closed fishing stinks.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    interesting, who would have thought
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Great info. Maybe they have those on a timer or something. I remember fishing the dams up north when I was a kid. Really wild from those catwalks.
  • 1jody2561jody256 Posts: 90 Deckhand
    :fishingcaught snook(specks,catfish,bass) off lake manatee dam when they opened it up into manatee river.topwater baits were the key then.but there was a sign that said to be 500 ft back.got caught by the man in green once,no ticket just told to back off.but it can be some fast action!
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    You and them dam snook. :blowkiss
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    Why You Old Scallywag You! Didn't call me> Didja?? I know, You didn't want to get all caught up I flyline and end up riding the rapids w/ no hands!! Y'all know how crazed us expatriated Yankee'z getz when we see fast moving water??? Truth be told> Louie knew I was getting ready fer outa town Family anyway and would have had to begrudgingly pass anyway!
    So thatz so cool! Congradz on a fine Snuke!!! That was most likely a snook that guy had on that day we were there!!! That place could be a real blast on the right day under those conditions I'll betcha!! Problem now is that all those lurkin Capt. Louie groupiez who parooz our Forum will probably be lining the bankz of that place after the next big rainstorm either hoping to catch a snuke or maybe an autograph from our beloved Capt. Louie who has reached a legendary status among the Sweetwater Crowd!! So next time You may have to take me w/ You Louie> Ain't nothing that can scare off a group of Chucklehaidz faster than a Large & Alarmingly>Ugly Yankee lookin Fatman waving a 9' buggywhip like a man posseted!! handz!!!!! Don't forget to call me!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Spanker it was your fault ! YOU were the one that said it looked like a snook.

I was just the one who had to go see. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Spanker it was your fault ! YOU were the one that said it looked like a snook.

I was just the one who had to go see. :cool:

I know You and I know You did!!!! Yu went> You saw> You caught> SNOOK!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!